This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    The 'upgrade' is just a front page and flight maps, essentially. I don't see how any of the old 772s, no matter which series they are, would have the same amount of content on the IFE system as an A380/B77W. The central server would be too old and limited to store and deliver more content.

The same goes for the 773s which are currently being refitted with 77W seats that came out of 77W refits. In order to seriously upgrade the IFE, the whole lot- operating system, server, screens, seats and handsets have to be transferred as a package. They're not independent devices that can be made to work together like a TV and a DVD player can.
    Actually, it is possible to update the IFE without changing all of the components. Panasonic is offering a system called the eXK, which basically adds more functionality to the older systems in the 772s and 773s without needing to change much.
    Link: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...acy-ife-362006

Also, the 773s with the 2006 Y seats has exactly the same KrisWorld content as the 77W and A380.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
      Actually, it is possible to update the IFE without changing all of the components. Panasonic is offering a system called the eXK, which basically adds more functionality to the older systems in the 772s and 773s without needing to change much.
      Link: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...acy-ife-362006

Also, the 773s with the 2006 Y seats has exactly the same KrisWorld content as the 77W and A380.
      Yes, the 773s with the 2006 Y do have the exact same Krisworld. That's what I said, but maybe not clearly enough.

Here's one of the real reasons SQ need to get serious about fixing up their IFE. Faifax Media in Australia have just written a glowing review of SQ's economy product and service but included this warning to travellers:

"This recommendation should come with a serious caveat: not all Singapore Airlines economy class cabins are created equal. If you're flying on one of the old 777s, which occasionally still operate out of Sydney, you'll wonder what we're on about here.

Those clunkers have tiny, low-res entertainment screens, limited facilities and fairly outdated cabin designs. Blergh. On the newer planes, however – the A380s and the new or retro-fitted 777s – life in SQ economy class is beautiful."http://www.traveller.com.au/air-utopia-gpt177
      In their decision to return A330s to lessors and keep hold of so many old 772s, they are really risking their reputation with a lack of product consistency. We now have 2013 IFE and seats, the 2006 standard, various 772 recovered seats with IFE even frequent flyers can't keep track of, and then three ancient purple interiors that are no longer fooling anyone.

I'd like to see them install some kind of add-on IFE upgrade like you suggest but I can't see that happening while there seems to be no clear plan about which ones will be kept and for how long and where they will fly to. It's an exciting time to be flying SQ with so much about to happen, but not when you get the bad luck of finding youself on one of their SV-series routes that keep losing their place in the upgrade queue.

Comment

• DELETED

Comment

• SINGAPORE AIRLINES FLEET & ORDERS (UPDATED 6 JULY 2016)

Airbus A330-300

In Service: 27
          Seating: 30J/255Y (Regional J, 2006 Y)

- 9V-STA
          - 9V-STB
          - 9V-STC
          - 9V-STD
          - 9V-STE
          - 9V-STF
          - 9V-STG
          - 9V-STH
          - 9V-STM
          - 9V-STO
          - 9V-STQ
          - 9V-STR
          - 9V-STT
          - 9V-STU
          - 9V-STV
          - 9V-STW
          - 9V-STY
          - 9V-STZ
          - 9V-SSA
          - 9V-SSB
          - 9V-SSC
          - 9V-SSD
          - 9V-SSE
          - 9V-SSF
          - 9V-SSG
          - 9V-SSH
          - 9V-SSI

Airbus A350-900

In Service: 4
          On Order: 56
          EIS: 2016
          Seating 1: 42J/24S/187Y (2013 J, 2015 S, 2013 Y)

- 9V-SMA
          - 9V-SMB
          - 9V-SMC
          - 9V-SMD

Airbus A350-900ULR

On Order: 7
          EIS: 2018
          Seating: TBA

Airbus A380-800

In Service: 19
          On Order: 5
          EIS: 2017
          Seating 1: 12R/86J/311Y (2006 R, 2006 J, 2006 Y)

- 9V-SKM
          - 9V-SKQ
          - 9V-SKR
          - 9V-SKS
          - 9V-SKT

Seating 2: 12R/60J/36S/333Y (2006 R, 2006 J, 2015 S, 2006 Y)

- 9V-SKA
          - 9V-SKB
          - 9V-SKC
          - 9V-SKD
          - 9V-SKE
          - 9V-SKF
          - 9V-SKG
          - 9V-SKH
          - 9V-SKI
          - 9V-SKJ
          - 9V-SKK

Seating 3: 12R/86J/36S/245Y (2006 R, 2006 J, 2015 S, 2006 Y)

- 9V-SKL
          - 9V-SKN
          - 9V-SKP

Boeing 777-200

In Service: 11
          Seating 1: 38J/228Y (Regional J, Refurbed Y)

- 9V-SQJ
          - 9V-SQK
          - 9V-SQL
          - 9V-SQM
          - 9V-SQN
          - 9V-SRM
          - 9V-SRO
          - 9V-SRP
          - 9V-SRQ

Seating 2: 30J/293Y (Ultimo J, 2001 Y)

- 9V-SRJ
          - 9V-SRL

Boeing 777-200ER

In Service: 10
          Seating 1: 30J/255Y (Spacebed J, 2001 Y)

- 9V-SVF

Seating 2: 26J/245Y (2006 J, Refurbed Y)

- 9V-SVB
          - 9V-SVC
          - 9V-SVE
          - 9V-SVG
          - 9V-SVI
          - 9V-SVJ
          - 9V-SVL
          - 9V-SVM
          - 9V-SVN

Boeing 777-300

In Service: 6
          Seating 1: 8F/50J/226Y (2006 F, Regional J, Refurbed Y)

- 9V-SYF
          - 9V-SYG
          - 9V-SYJ
          - 9V-SYL

Seating 2: 8F/50J/226Y (2006 F, Regional J, 2006 Y)

- 9V-SYH
          - 9V-SYI

Boeing 777-300ER

In Service: 27
          Seating 1: 8F/42J/228Y (2006 F, 2006 J, 2006 Y)

- 9V-SWA
          - 9V-SWB
          - 9V-SWD
          - 9V-SWE
          - 9V-SWF
          - 9V-SWG
          - 9V-SWH
          - 9V-SWI
          - 9V-SWQ
          - 9V-SWR
          - 9V-SWS
          - 9V-SWT

Seating 2: 8F/42J/228Y (2013 F, 2013 J, 2013 Y)

- 9V-SWU
          - 9V-SWV
          - 9V-SWW
          - 9V-SWY
          - 9V-SWZ
          - 9V-SNA

Seating 3: 4F/48J/28S/184Y (2013 F, 2013 J, 2015 S, 2013 Y)

- 9V-SWJ
          - 9V-SWK
          - 9V-SWL
          - 9V-SWM
          - 9V-SWN
          - 9V-SWO
          - 9V-SWP
          - 9V-SNB
          - 9V-SNC

Boeing 787-10

On Order: 30
          EIS: 2018
          Seating: TBA

Total

In Service: 104
          On Order: 98

Comment

• Thanks FSJZ for the continual update on the fleet. Your info has been very useful and want to thank you for hard work and valuable inputs.

Comment

• Me too, I also want to thank FSJZ.

Comment

• Has 9V-SQJ been retired? It hasn't flown for quite some time.

Comment

Has 9V-SQJ been retired? It hasn't flown for quite some time.
                  Think SQJ out of service for a while but seems to be in the inventory

On a separate note I do recall taking SRJ recently .... Ahhhh classic retro plane with ultimato J seat and a projector in the center. Flew on her on 20 May to BKK SQ972. Really nice nostalgia flight

Comment

• Originally posted by alian View Post
                    Think SQJ out of service for a while but seems to be in the inventory

On a separate note I do recall taking SRJ recently .... Ahhhh classic retro plane with ultimato J seat and a projector in the center. Flew on her on 20 May to BKK SQ972. Really nice nostalgia flight
                    SRJ and SRL just did BLR rotations which include a redeye on the return sector. I'd be pretty miffed if I was in J.
                    The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• You're welcome I keep track of the SQ fleet so I just thought it would be nice to share this piece of information with everyone here as well.

Comment

• 9V-SQJ has not flown since the damage to its APU after 9V-SYL's right wing came into contact with it. Incident happened on 31MAY16.
                        Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• 9V-SVJ has been inactive for nearly a week now. I'm guessing it's out for maintenance?

Comment

• As always thanks for the update of the fleet. We honestly don't know what's going to happen to SWB now.

Comment

9V-SVJ has been inactive for nearly a week now. I'm guessing it's out for maintenance?
                              If only it was being retired. I have just spent a 20 hour marathon on two old SV* 772s, the only break from which was a mad dash from E26 to A19 at Changi which I needed to complete in under 20 minutes.

The seats in Y are horrible, the IFE is seriously dying and on one of them I couldn't even hear passenger safety announcements through the headphones- the system was muting the audio of what I was watching, continuing to play it but not even cutting across to the PA audio. They need to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                                If only it was being retired. I have just spent a 20 hour marathon on two old SV* 772s, the only break from which was a mad dash from E26 to A19 at Changi which I needed to complete in under 20 minutes.

The seats in Y are horrible, the IFE is seriously dying and on one of them I couldn't even hear passenger safety announcements through the headphones- the system was muting the audio of what I was watching, continuing to play it but not even cutting across to the PA audio. They need to go.
                                I share the exact same sentiments as you do, even when I'm flying J on these SV-series aircraft. It's truly a shame that SQ is hanging on to these planes and not doing anything about their outdated interiors.

What pisses me off even more is that these planes are appearing on routes previously served by better aircraft. One example is SQ207/208, which I fly every 2-3 months. It was perviously served by A330s, which were great. The only upgrade I can think of are the flatbeds in J, but even then I'm not sure if the trade-off in IFE and overall experience is worth it.

SQ228, did you happen to be on 9V-SVE? I recently flew SVE and had similar problems you had with the headphone jack not working properly. Also, the overall condition of the plane was appalling, with IFE screens dangling from the seatback and patchy seats.

Comment

Working...
                                X