This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
    I share the exact same sentiments as you do, even when I'm flying J on these SV-series aircraft. It's truly a shame that SQ is hanging on to these planes and not doing anything about their outdated interiors.

What pisses me off even more is that these planes are appearing on routes previously served by better aircraft. One example is SQ207/208, which I fly every 2-3 months. It was perviously served by A330s, which were great. The only upgrade I can think of are the flatbeds in J, but even then I'm not sure if the trade-off in IFE and overall experience is worth it.

SQ228, did you happen to be on 9V-SVE? I recently flew SVE and had similar problems you had with the headphone jack not working properly. Also, the overall condition of the plane was appalling, with IFE screens dangling from the seatback and patchy seats.
    As you mention it, I was just on SQ207 today which was so much more pleasant on an A330!

I had the clapped-out old SVG which was having all the audio issues. The audio is crystal clear on some content and for other things sounds like it's being broadcast through an old sock at twice the volume. The quality of the safety video was so bad that passengers were commenting on it in surprise. Reminded me of watching TV in the 1980s when there was a storm and the picture would go grainy.

I love SQ207 when I can connect with it because I get home so much earlier but I'm going to have to reconsider in future bookings. I'd already watched everything I wanted to from 2 flights on these planes in the past two weeks so by SQ207 I was bored stupid. To make things even more fun, I made it from E26 to A19 on time but my luggage is coming in on SQ217.

Comment

It seems like some of the 772s have received new maps and updated KrisWorld layout that looks like the ex2 system. Does this mean the content has improved too? The two 772ERs I've taken recently (SVE and SVJ) didn't have the new maps though.

Images taken from this Flight Report: http://flight-report.com/en/report/1...-Singapore-SIN

I apologize for the large images. Does anyone know how I can make the attached images smaller?
      Damn, times are sure changing. Interesting to see the 2006 77W maps on the older 772 and refitted 773. My prediction (I know I will be wrong) is if SQ continues to keep their 772, that the more old 77W that are being refitted, the 772 and 773 will get the 77W hand-me-downs with the exception of First Class (Which already exist on the 773).

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
        Damn, times are sure changing. Interesting to see the 2006 77W maps on the older 772 and refitted 773. My prediction (I know I will be wrong) is if SQ continues to keep their 772, that the more old 77W that are being refitted, the 772 and 773 will get the 77W hand-me-downs with the exception of First Class (Which already exist on the 773).
        Your prediction isn't entirely wrong. I believe a couple of the 773s have already received hand-me-down Y seats from the 77Ws and upgraded IFE. I've also heard that some of the SV-series 772ERs will receive a similar treatment, which is welcome news.

The regional 772s have had some sort of upgrade to their IFE systems with the new layout and maps, similar to the newer systems found on the 77Ws and A380s. I shall soon find out what exactly has changed as I fly to HKG towards the end of this week. I'm hoping the content has improved too.

These 772s and 773s (with the exception of the purple cabins) aren't going anywhere anytime soon, as SQ needs these aircraft to fill in for the A330s that are leaving the fleet.
        Last edited by jaywell; 12 July 2016, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Whilst we know the A330 seats won't do for the 777's, can the IFE be moved over? I know the back of the seat has space for only a 4:3 screen but could that bit of plastic be changed to fit a bigger screen?

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
            Whilst we know the A330 seats won't do for the 777's, can the IFE be moved over? I know the back of the seat has space for only a 4:3 screen but could that bit of plastic be changed to fit a bigger screen?
            I posted a similar question previously and was advise it's not possible due to different systems. It's not just the plastic cover but rather entire system itself

Comment

• Originally posted by alian View Post
              I posted a similar question previously and was advise it's not possible due to different systems. It's not just the plastic cover but rather entire system itself
              I get that you would need to change the server, screens and controllers. But is the seat itself part of that system?

Comment

I get that you would need to change the server, screens and controllers. But is the seat itself part of that system?
                Definitely. The old 772s have a handset mounted in the armrest. The newer products have it all together in the seat back. The central unit would need the matching handsets in order to communicate, which would then have to be retrofitted into the old seats along with complete rewiring of everything.

One advantage of it all being a single unit in a seat back is that it could potentially make upgrading easier in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  Definitely. The old 772s have a handset mounted in the armrest. The newer products have it all together in the seat back. The central unit would need the matching handsets in order to communicate, which would then have to be retrofitted into the old seats along with complete rewiring of everything.

One advantage of it all being a single unit in a seat back is that it could potentially make upgrading easier in the future.
                  Could they not get a few plastic mount in the back of the seat and then put some sort of blanking plate in the arm rest?

Comment

Could they not get a few plastic mount in the back of the seat and then put some sort of blanking plate in the arm rest?
                    I think the wiring would be more the issue, getting cables into seats that weren't built to accommodate them. Planes are designed pretty precisely and my guess is that you wouldn't be allowed to go about boring extra holes in them. The 2006 A330 units would most likely be solid-state, meaning you can't separate the parts out from each other. The effort it could require just wouldn't be worth it on such an old interior. I think SVB is almost 16 years old.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                      I think the wiring would be more the issue, getting cables into seats that weren't built to accommodate them. Planes are designed pretty precisely and my guess is that you wouldn't be allowed to go about boring extra holes in them. The 2006 A330 units would most likely be solid-state, meaning you can't separate the parts out from each other. The effort it could require just wouldn't be worth it on such an old interior. I think SVB is almost 16 years old.
                      This is correct. If they want to upgrade the screens and controllers, the whole seat would have to be replaced as the older seats in the 772s and 773s can't support the newer eX2 hardware.

I believe what some of the regional 772s have received is the eXK upgrade, which basically improves the functionality and content of the older system without needing to change much of the hardware. It's sort of like an add-on upgrade.

From what I know, not all 772ERs are due to get IFE and seat upgrades and SVB is certainly not one of them. I believe only 5 SV-series planes will be re-refitted, but I don't know which ones exactly. I would presume the 5 newest ones? Does anyone have more info on this?

Comment

From what I know, not all 772ERs are due to get IFE and seat upgrades and SVB is certainly not one of them. I believe only 5 SV-series planes will be re-refitted, but I don't know which ones exactly. I would presume the 5 newest ones? Does anyone have more info on this?
                        This sounds correct to me but maybe just because we've said it to each other enough times on here...

SVI, SVJ, SVL, SVM & SVN would be the obvious choices as especially they were never lesaed out to Royal Brunei. There have been mentions in here before that SVA-H weren't returned in the most optimum condition.

Ultimately, they received all of the remaining SV* series within a 20 month period and they own all of them, so they may assess which are the 5 with the least known issues and sell the other 5 to DL as part of that deal they made. Better to keep a plane with less wear and tear and sell another that's only 2 months younger. The newest is now 13.4 years old, so debatable how much value any of them have left with the number of old 772s on the market.

Comment

This is correct. If they want to upgrade the screens and controllers, the whole seat would have to be replaced as the older seats in the 772s and 773s can't support the newer eX2 hardware.

I believe what some of the regional 772s have received is the eXK upgrade, which basically improves the functionality and content of the older system without needing to change much of the hardware. It's sort of like an add-on upgrade.

If the SV-series would get the upgrade, when would that most likely happen? It should be quite soon right?
                          Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

• Was on 9V-SYL recently, and it really brought back fond memories of flying SQ in the late 1990s-2000s.... While the seats now have new 2006 covers, the IFE was....

Well, see if you find the image familiar...

And no, it wasn't because my camera was out of focus, the image for every TV and movie content was like this!

Comment

• Originally posted by SQavgeek View Post
                              If the SV-series would get the upgrade, when would that most likely happen? It should be quite soon right?
                              It could actually be happening right now. I've noticed that SVJ has now been out of service for two weeks, which means it could potentially be undergoing a refit.

Comment

• Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
                                Was on 9V-SYL recently, and it really brought back fond memories of flying SQ in the late 1990s-2000s.... While the seats now have new 2006 covers, the IFE was....

Well, see if you find the image familiar...

And no, it wasn't because my camera was out of focus, the image for every TV and movie content was like this!
                                OMG, this is way too nostalgic. I remember that from the good old days I flew the SQ 744 longhaul (via HKG both ways). Even before I was in middle school. It was only high school, I nearly cried when the 744 was getting downguaged to a 77W on this route (Which is why I landed up taking SQ1 while going and SQ16 while coming back as back then the cabin products were the same). After I got used to it, especially when a number of changes took place in my life (transition to college, buying a much newer car with advanced features and using that and my other 4-cylinder more often), I got used to it and up to today would rather fly the 77W longhaul even if it's noisy.

Always selected this when I used to watch the Simpsons onboard. If only someone could record the music of the "Comedy" category and post that and the video up on YouTube. (Even before the Comedy part with the Ha Ha Ha came, think there was another nice music to it too welcoming you as you select Comedy).

Comment

Working...
                                X