Changes to PPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
    from my observations it looks like they might've let too many people in under the old criteria, and so to get the numbers down they're changing PPS, you just have to look in both SQ lounges at Changi to see what I mean, they're always packed when I'm there
    True, but they are moving people out of the F lounge into the J lounge, which is already very busy as well, before the new numbers arrive.

Something did need to be done, but a lounge extension would have cost a fraction of what revenues they'll initially lose with those who don't bother chasing PPS now. The fact they are offering absolutely nothing - except a lounge access downgrade - to those who still qualify under the new rules is what is perplexing/annoying many.

I have a similar problem myself, so I'm just off to buy a sledgehammer to sort out this nut that's been giving me trouble recently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
      from my observations it looks like they might've let too many people in under the old criteria, and so to get the numbers down they're changing PPS, you just have to look in both SQ lounges at Changi to see what I mean, they're always packed when I'm there
      Yes - but instead of cutting back services - BUILD ANOTHER lounge ... with the way construction works in Singapore.. SQ could probably whip one up in no time at all..

Or make the lounge access restrictions temporary - and explain it to members .. until the new lounge is built and open at T3 next year.

Still the measures are stupid.. and SQ still has not stated out exactly what these new God-like treatments when one is a PPS is going to be yet..

How about discounted taxi passes...to/from airport...
      Solitaire members might get free limousine transfers when flying F?
      A case of Krug on your birthday?

Comment

• Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
        How about discounted taxi passes...to/from airport...
        Solitaire members might get free limousine transfers when flying F?
        A case of Krug on your birthday?
        Or a limo to the aircraft.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• You know ever since the official announcement of the $25K SGD shocker, I have really been thinking alot about all possible motives for SQ to really go through with this bold move. Yes many of us including myself are crying foul. However IMO as SQ themselves have built a well-renowed brand name of their own for many decades, they may somehow believe that transforming an already exclusive PPS program into a much deeper exclusive level is not going to drift too much customer away. There are many travelers out there who can care less about frequent flyer/loyalty programs and mainly focus on what the airline offers. In the case with SQ pax, many of them loves the brand so much that they would not even give a damm if the carrier's FF/Status programmes are at the opposite end of the spectrum: "I love SQ's onboard product and service so much....who cares if Krisflyer & PPS are nothing but two programs of worthless crap. As long as they get the job done on the flight where it really matters the most, I am happy". I know some may disagree; however, it is this well-know brand recognition in the aviation and service industry to my belief that this maybe one of the elements that drove SQ management into this bold move.
          Last edited by Rejuvenated; 18 March 2007, 02:02 PM.
          My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

• Now that I have time to think about the changes over, it really depends on your travel pattern and how you purchase your tickets.

I checked some fares to/from NYC. If you purchase and fly EWR-SIN in C, it actually makes no difference. You need 3 RT per year to qualify under both the Sectors or the Value system. If you fly JFK-SIN in F, it is actually easier to qualify under PPS Value. You need 3 RT using Sectors yet only 2 RT using PPS Value. No, that's not me. OTOH, if you originate from a low fare location such as MNL, you need 2 RT in C using PPS Sectors, while 5 or more RT in C, depending on how PPS Value is actually calculated since it involves UA, will be required using PPS Value.

Also, some short flights, such as KUL, PEN etc, which were excluded before qualify now.

I am not saying that I like it, however, the PPS Value system rewards customers who pay higher fares, which probably make sense from profitability point of view.
            Last edited by TerryK; 19 March 2007, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• Greetings from SKL at Changi.
              Cant get slumberette. So here I am atying awake.
              Anyway, talked to the staff, and yes, they knew about the changes now. But they said they need to hear from you guys. Here where you can express your concern about the new PPS Value program:

PPS HOT-LINE: +65 6245 7007

E-mail: PPS_Feedback(at)KrisFlyer.com.sg

Comment

• Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                Now that I have time to think about the changes over, it really depends on your travel pattern and how you purchase your tickets.

I checked some fares to/from NYC. If you purchase and fly EWR-SIN in C, it actually makes no difference. You need 3 RT per year to qualify under both the Sectors or the Value system. If you fly JFK-SIN in F, it is actually easier to qualify under PPS Value. You need 3 RT using Sectors yet only 2 RT using PPS Value. No, that's not me. OTOH, if you originate from a low fare location such as MNL, you need 2 RT in C using PPS Sectors, while 5 or more RT in C, depending on how PPS Value is actually calculated since it involves UA, will be required using PPS Value.

Also, some short flights, such as KUL, PEN etc, which were excluded before qualify now.

I am not saying that I like it, however, the PPS Value system rewards customers who pay higher fares, which probably make sense from profitability point of view.
                Well that was somewhat of what I conveyed in my first post of this thread. Those that reside in places like the US, Germany, France just to name a few where premium tickets are priced at the top of the roof, those who can afford them will have no problems qualifying/re-qualifying under the new critieria. It is just unfair to some of us who for example pay ex-New Zealand fares and fly in greater miles but yet be on the short end compared to those ex-USA who fly in shorter miles but get them because the ticket prices are higher.

I am just not pleased that the critieria will be judged according to ticket prices as oppose to frequency/mileages. In that PPS will soon be only for those superly rich individuals or companies. I guess maybe despite being one of the most profitable airlines in the industry, SQ is still not profiting enough to maintain a mileage/sector PPS criteria. Who knows.
                Last edited by Rejuvenated; 19 March 2007, 01:38 AM.
                My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

• Originally posted by CGK View Post
                  Greetings from SKL at Changi.
                  Anyway, talked to the staff, and yes, they knew about the changes now. But they said they need to hear from you guys. Here where you can express your concern about the new PPS Value program:

Maybe a mitigating move (if enough of us protest) would be to "grandfather" existing members as per the old program, and enforce the new rules on new PPS members...what do people think about this?

I think that they *should* enhance their lounges by making them larger/expanding them, if they can show that they have the loyalty of their FF'ers, as the existing one was probably planned ages ago.

I have never flown CX so far, but wonder how The Pier compares in size to the SKL...just for comparision.

Comment

• I just remembered something...the rumor a few months ago that SIN-CGK won't earn any PPS sectors turned out to be true

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
                      Maybe a mitigating move (if enough of us protest) would be to "grandfather" existing members as per the old program, and enforce the new rules on new PPS members...what do people think about this?
                      That wouldn't solve the problems SQ senior management apparently saw:

1. Too many PPS members, making the total cost of providing services too high in management's eyes

2. Too much variation in the contribution PPS members with, say, the same number of sectors made to SQ's bottom line -- they wanted to weed out those with relatively lower contribution per sector

Their decision is actually probably the cleanest solution. In my eyes, however, it was also the most crass. And it didn't really provide an increase in benefits, except maybe for the increase in service level per person (caused by decreasing the denominator, not increasing the numerator).
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                        I just remembered something...the rumor a few months ago that SIN-CGK won't earn any PPS sectors turned out to be true
                        And so the gallows humor emerges.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                          I just remembered something...the rumor a few months ago that SIN-CGK won't earn any PPS sectors turned out to be true
                          Right, it was a proposal which was not approved. To raise the bar from the current PPS miles, would tick off lots of people. And SQ is "the" dominant player for SIN-CGK-SIN run.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
                            I have never flown CX so far, but wonder how The Pier compares in size to the SKL...just for comparision.
                            I know the grass is greener in the other side. Well, I just had another great flight on SQ15, after a UA flight SFO-ICN. And yes, CX is great airlines as well, but last time I took, I still don't feel like at home, especially when in J-class. But will try to do intra-Asia on CX very very soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGK View Post
                              Greetings from SKL at Changi.

Email sent!

Comment

• [QUOTE=SuperFlyBoy;12462]Maybe a mitigating move (if enough of us protest) would be to "grandfather" existing members as per the old program, and enforce the new rules on new PPS members...what do people think about this?
                                [QUOTE]

I hope that with enough protest they may mitigate the move but I sincerely doubt so.

Comment

Working...
                                X