Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Early PPS Re-qualification still exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Early PPS Re-qualification still exist?

I noticed reading through the old FAQ of the other forum that during the days when attaining PPS was done through the sector calculation that there was an unpublished benefit that allows you to re-qualify early should you receive the required amount of sectors 9 months from where your re-qualifying period and this would give you 15 months to requalify again. Thus I have several questions:

1) Does this early re-qualifying thing still exist or did exist under the PPSV scheme?
    2) If yes to question 1, I would like to ask the following: If say my re-qualification period for QPP02 was January 1, 2008 to December 31, 2008 and I received the $25K before October 1, 2008 and hence my re-qualification for QPP03 would be between September 1, 2008 to December 31, 2009 giving me the 15 months to re-qualify. Now say between October 1, 2008 and June 30, 2009 I got $25K by flying more SQ flights meaning I did it in 9 months, does this mean I have re-qualified early at July 1, 2009 and my re-qualification period for QPP04 would be July 1, 2009 to Sep 30, 2009? Or is that I have to get the $25K during nine-month re-qualification between January 1, 2009 and September 30, 2009 to be re-qualified early for QPP04?

Oh another question, not about re-qualification but becoming PPS for the first time. If I were to collect $25K three months after my first eligible flight for PPSV, do I have to wait nine months later to be admitted into QPP01 or would SQ give me QPP01 as soon as they see I have $25K and hence I do not have to wait for another 9 months.

I’m trying to learn much about the PPS system so I can consider whether or not it is worthy for me to fly SQ on a regular basis or not. Thanks for your help!

As far as I know, this type of early requalification still exists.
    In your example above, your account should be reset two months early - which is October 31st, 2008, which makes you have 14 months to requalify for the next year (your new PPS year still remains Jan 1 - Dec 31). However, in the next year, the reset will also be done only in October 31st, 2008, keeping the same PPS year (Jan 1 - Dec 31).

PPS card validity is one month longer than the PPS year, according to the PPS section of SQ website.

On the other question, you will be admitted into PPS Club as soon as you reach SGD25K in PPSV - no need to wait another 9 months.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
      In your example above, your account should be reset two months early - which is October 31st, 2008, which makes you have 14 months to requalify for the next year (your new PPS year still remains Jan 1 - Dec 31). However, in the next year, the reset will also be done only in October 31st, 2008, keeping the same PPS year (Jan 1 - Dec 31).
      You mean 2009 right?

So in this example it means whether you are requalifying for QPP or TPP, your membership year will always be Jan 1-Dec 31 as long as you manage $25K PPSV or more during your membership period annually & consecutively? And if you manage to requalify early every year it will always be Oct 31 for the reset, right?

Thank you for the response.

Comment

Correct.

My answer was based on your assumption of requalification period of January 1, 2008 - December 31, 2008.
        The 'early reset' should be done to your account every October 31st (assuming you requalify early every year) - it does not get earlier and earlier every year after.
        In 2008, your account should get a reset in October 31, 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by StarFeat View Post
          I noticed reading through the old FAQ of the other forum that during the days when attaining PPS was done through the sector calculation that there was an unpublished benefit that allows you to re-qualify early should you receive the required amount of sectors 9 months from where your re-qualifying period and this would give you 15 months to requalify again. Thus I have several questions:

1) Does this early re-qualifying thing still exist or did exist under the PPSV scheme?
          As far as I know, the answer is yes, early requalification still exists. My PPSV was zeroed out two months before.

2) If yes to question 1, I would like to ask the following: If say my re-qualification period for QPP02 was January 1, 2008 to December 31, 2008 and I received the $25K before October 1, 2008 and hence my re-qualification for QPP03 would be between September 1, 2008 to December 31, 2009 giving me the 15 months to re-qualify. Now say between October 1, 2008 and June 30, 2009 I got $25K by flying more SQ flights meaning I did it in 9 months, does this mean I have re-qualified early at July 1, 2009 and my re-qualification period for QPP04 would be July 1, 2009 to Sep 30, 2009? Or is that I have to get the $25K during nine-month re-qualification between January 1, 2009 and September 30, 2009 to be re-qualified early for QPP04?
          From your scenario, the period for requalification (after qualified as QPP by December 31, 2007) is between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2008. And your PPS car expiry date should show January 31, 2009.
          By October 1, 2008 you have 25K. So on October 31, 2008, your account is reset to zero.
          You have from November 1, 2008 until December 31, 2009 to requalify again.
          Let's say you accumulate 25K by July 1, 2009. Any additional PPSV you accumulate after July 1, 2009 until Occtober 31, 2009 will still be added towards that 25K, because the earliest requalification for you is on October 31, 2009 when the PPSV is reset to zero.

Oh another question, not about re-qualification but becoming PPS for the first time. If I were to collect $25K three months after my first eligible flight for PPSV, do I have to wait nine months later to be admitted into QPP01 or would SQ give me QPP01 as soon as they see I have $25K and hence I do not have to wait for another 9 months.

I’m trying to learn much about the PPS system so I can consider whether or not it is worthy for me to fly SQ on a regular basis or not. Thanks for your help!
          For example, you start to accumulate PPSV last month. And now you already have 25K. You become QPP immediately without waiting for nine months. Most probably your requalification period would be January 1, 2009 until December 31, 2009, and your card will have January 31, 2010 expiry date.
          Is worth it? If you fly a lot, it's a side benefit... while we still can do double dipping, meaning that you can get the status being QPP based on PPSV, but also in the same time you can credit the miles to other frequent flyer program such as LH MM or BD DC or whatever your favourite FFP is for StarAlliance, and as well as Virgin Atlantic.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
            As far as I know, the answer is yes, early requalification still exists. My PPSV was zeroed out two months before.
            Same for me. My year runs 31 August - 31 August and my PPSV was zeroed out at the end of June.

As for if it's worth it ?. Well there are no real benefits anymore unfortunately, but I've heard it's quite exclusive, or will be shortly.

Comment

Mine.....

Additional PPS Value required for PPS Club requalification
              S$ 0
              by 30/06/2009

Re-qualified since October .....
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                Re-qualified since October .....
                That was quick...

Mine:
                Don't know if I'll make it this year (to requalify), though I'll probably go for it (almost everything comes out of my pocket, you see). Currently at around S$1,300 with a PPSV S$9,000 value trip coming up in Jan.

Few more possible trips to Europe till August, with a trip to East U.S. coast next November (but that one's just after the requalification period... )

To be honest, PPS feels much better than Gold. At the moment, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                  That was quick...

Mine:
                  Don't know if I'll make it this year (to requalify), though I'll probably go for it (almost everything comes out of my pocket, you see). Currently at around S$1,300 with a PPSV S$9,000 value trip coming up in Jan.

Few more possible trips to Europe till August, with a trip to East U.S. coast next November (but that one's just after the requalification period... )

To be honest, PPS feels much better than Gold. At the moment, at least.
                  Quick because of all the to-ing and fro-ing to EU and back.....

May just fly other airlines until the new re-qualifying period starts again...

Have an Asiana trip lined up in January to Dalian, COSCO, probably stay a couple of days in Korea before returning...... then some trips to EU, maybe will take TG, if and when company lift the ban of travel through BKK..... otherwise may just stick with SQ.....

Yes, I do feel PPS is much better then gold, at least when flying Y and departing from Singapore..... last two SQ flights I had in J was something different, with the CS coming to introduce him/her selves... never happened before. Will see if it happen again tmorrow night when I board the flight to Inchon. Got a feeling that SQ have given instructions to CS to treat PPS differently, in hope of retaining the business....

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                    Correct.

My answer was based on your assumption of requalification period of January 1, 2008 - December 31, 2008.
                    The 'early reset' should be done to your account every October 31st (assuming you requalify early every year) - it does not get earlier and earlier every year after.
                    In 2008, your account should get a reset in October 31, 2008.
                    Two more thing to clarify. On this example, it also means that one's membership year will remain January 1 - December 31 when one goes from QPP to TPP as long as one achieves 25K PPSV or > within every membership year (meaning one's membership is Jan 1 - Dec 31 during both QPP and TPP), correct?

Also does the PPS timeline goes like this say if one become Solitaire (TPP) during QPP03 and then re-qualifies for TPP again during his/her first membership year as a TPP:
                    QPP01->QPP02->QPP03->TPP04->TPP05

Thanks for everyone's help!

Comment

Why think so hard over it??? You get it, you'll get it, if have it, enjoy it, if not don't fret over it.

If you are consistently flying in J or F, PPS does not matter very very much.....

Comment

......QPP01->QPP02->QPP03->TPP04->TPP05'........
                        What does it matter? The years qualified doesn't show up anywhere now. I don't even know what my years qualified is.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                          What does it matter? The years qualified doesn't show up anywhere now. I don't even know what my years qualified is.
                          Actually it shows up now on the new PPS cards.

Comment

Your PPS qualification period will change when you hit TPP. When you qualify for TPP, your account will be reset even though it is in the middle of your Qualified PPS year.
                            Yes the number of years when you reach TPP will be +1 from your last QPP year #.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                              My new card:

And I have no idea why my years qualified is 09.

Comment

Working...
                              X