Redemption on waitlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
    Other adjectives applicable are: silly, crazy, desperate.

Am not quite prepared to spend S$2.5K for a Y fare. I can eat myself silly with that kind of money in Tuscany.

Any other suggestions, welcomed!
    If J is not full, there really is a chance they'd give you a seat. I remember clearing a waitlisted saver seat a few days before a flight when there were only 2 seats left in J. Even std awards were no longer available by then.

I'd really be quite desperate to use my miles for a Y standard. I'd even fork out the $2.5K than to waste my miles like that - bearing in mind that it will get a much higher value saver J ticket in future (or is it expiring along with the rest of your miles?).

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
      If J is not full, there really is a chance they'd give you a seat. I remember clearing a waitlisted saver seat a few days before a flight when there were only 2 seats left in J. Even std awards were no longer available by then.

I'd really be quite desperate to use my miles for a Y standard. I'd even fork out the $2.5K than to waste my miles like that - bearing in mind that it will get a much higher value saver J ticket in future (or is it expiring along with the rest of your miles?).
      Thanks, KC, for the input. I'm burning-in the dates for my hotels and some of them are of the discounted no-change, no-refund variety, hence the desire to confirm the date for the flight. You are right, of course, about the high cost of a Y standard. I've already expended the expiring miles on my wife and son, so these that I'm using for myself are not quite expiring yet.

Now that I have a firm Y Standard, I wonder if SQ will actually give me the J Saver if comes available ... or should I just cancel it and hope for the best. Not sure how accurate the seat maps are (I do know they pad it at times), but it shows about 16 seats free for Y and 5 for J. It's still 2 months before the trip, so I'm going to leave it as it is for the moment and see what gives.

An alternative would be to tentatively book the CX (much cheaper) to Rome via HKG which gets me into to FCO about the same time as SQ but leaves SIN 6 hours earlier - altogether 20 hours of travel as oppose to 12! :shudder:

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
        Thanks, KC, for the input. I'm burning-in the dates for my hotels and some of them are of the discounted no-change, no-refund variety, hence the desire to confirm the date for the flight. You are right, of course, about the high cost of a Y standard. I've already expended the expiring miles on my wife and son, so these that I'm using for myself are not quite expiring yet.

Now that I have a firm Y Standard, I wonder if SQ will actually give me the J Saver if comes available ... or should I just cancel it and hope for the best. Not sure how accurate the seat maps are (I do know they pad it at times), but it shows about 16 seats free for Y and 5 for J. It's still 2 months before the trip, so I'm going to leave it as it is for the moment and see what gives.

An alternative would be to tentatively book the CX (much cheaper) to Rome via HKG which gets me into to FCO about the same time as SQ but leaves SIN 6 hours earlier - altogether 20 hours of travel as oppose to 12! :shudder:
        From my limited personal experience, Experflyer is not accurate at all for Y (large number of blocked-out seats) but quite dependable for J. There is usually a lot of movement closer to flight date so anything can happen these two months.

Hope you get your seat.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
          You redeemed a Y standard?! Stunning!
          It's already stunning to redeem Y saver let alone Y standard.

Remember that there are hundreds of dollars of taxes that also need to be paid to redeem. So 2.5K is not an accurate valuation.

I never had problems clearing J and F waitlists closer to date. Should be the same for Y but no guarantee of course. Not that I do it often but the 2 - 3 x I did, always cleared a few days before. usually with calls and appeals. The last one, I said I was attending a wedding, please help and waitlist cleared in half a day.

Anyway, as long as there is empty seat,I think it should be ok. Are you travelling mid week or weekend? April is unlikely to be very full either. I think you should keep J saver waitlist, continue Y saver waitlist, keep calling them. And Y standard, please reconsider. In the long run, you may be better off spending a bit more cash now because your Y standard can buy you many more future tickets unless they are part of the expiring block.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
            It's already stunning to redeem Y saver let alone Y standard.

Remember that there are hundreds of dollars of taxes that also need to be paid to redeem. So 2.5K is not an accurate valuation.

I never had problems clearing J and F waitlists closer to date. Should be the same for Y but no guarantee of course. Not that I do it often but the 2 - 3 x I did, always cleared a few days before. usually with calls and appeals. The last one, I said I was attending a wedding, please help and waitlist cleared in half a day.

Anyway, as long as there is empty seat,I think it should be ok. Are you travelling mid week or weekend? April is unlikely to be very full either. I think you should keep J saver waitlist, continue Y saver waitlist, keep calling them. And Y standard, please reconsider. In the long run, you may be better off spending a bit more cash now because your Y standard can buy you many more future tickets unless they are part of the expiring block.
            Can you please talk to CarbonMan and not quote me and give advice to me?

I did not fall and hit my head and booked a Standard Y award. As a matter of fact, I am in the fortunate position that I am sitting in the front and I have no immediate plans to change that for future flights.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
              Can you please talk to CarbonMan and not quote me and give advice to me?

I did not fall and hit my head and booked a Standard Y award. As a matter of fact, I am in the fortunate position that I am sitting in the front and I have no immediate plans to change that for future flights.
              Oh pardon, not intended for you

It was for Carbonman but wanted to ride on your comment.
              On hindsight, I should have quoted his following post after yours. More appropriate that way

Comment

Working...
              X