New KF redemption rates after 1 March 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by young View Post
    Hi guys, i was wondering what would be the best deal for me to fly more often in the premium cabins of any carrier, as i am fascinated with flying.

I had the privilege of flying one of the last 744 flights out to Heathrow in F, and am still in awe with that experience.

Most of the time i am stuck at the back of the plane in Y, as i travel mainly for pleasure, 6-8 times a year, hence i am usually rather cost conscious as i have to pay for all my tickets. Unfortunately my job does not involve travelling, nor does it pay alot

I gain my miles mostly from my credit card spending with my DBS Altitude card, for which i religiously charge most of my (and my entire family's) purchases to each month.
    However, it is still a slow and frustrating effort to make the number of miles grow.

Having read with interest the various schemes available (M&M, BMI etc) i was wondering if anyone could shed light on whether it is worth it for me to sign up for one, in my pursuit for flying near or at the head of the plane.

I am also looking at a trip to NYC in April, and another to Sweden in May. What would be the best options for me?

Thank you for your help in advance!
    As far as BMI goes I think that "gravy train" has almost left the station for you. Given an anticipated lifespan of BD of "maybe" a few more months and taking your travel pattern into account any mileage accrual you may manage will be small.

However, as SMK77 has pointed out multiple times in this thread and others, you do have the option to purchase BD miles (under various promotions - not sure which one is on right now) and then turn around and redeem the bought miles right away for premium travel. If you need more miles for the planned redemptions you can open accounts for your family members too, setup your account as Head of family, link the other BD accounts with bought miles to yours and pool the miles for redemption.

Not impossible, but a a steep learning curve & quick action required for a novice to BD DC.

Comment

• If you don't fly, I don't think M&M and BD will be of any use.
      Most of the credit cards here are tied with SQ or may be some regional carriers.

I used the following cards to rake up and maintain miles above 1 million consistently between myself and my partner:

1. Maybank Horizon Platinum: 1:2 ratio for spending in foreign currency and all air tickets; 1:4 ratio at selected restaurants and fashion outlets.

2. Citibank Rewards: 1:4 ratio for clothes, bags, and shoes

3. Ez link card: 1:4 ratio for selected taxis, grocery shopping at Cold Storage, and many outlets like burger king, 7 eleven.

4. Amex Platinum: about 1:4 ratio at 10x platinum partners such as Harvey Norman.

5. DBS Altitude or Citi Premier Miles : 1:1.2 ratio for all other purchases.

I fly a lot but now, flying is only about 10% of the total miles accumulated. no need to be a frequent flyer to fly at Row 1.

Anyway, I think the thread is moving out of topic. Mods may have to move this somewhere.
      Last edited by SQueeze; 14 February 2012, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• Just off the phone with SQ. They issued two pending redemption tickets in Suites for me.

The regular pricing SIN-FRA/LHR/CDG/ZRH stays at 1,000,000 miles one-way after March 8. Upgrades are 600,000 miles one-way.

Comment

• 600k miles is still a laugh...

Comment

• Enough 77W F to anywhere in the world for the moment. If they put new F into some of the A380, there might be even more choice!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              600k miles is still a laugh...
              Yes! 15 times RTW! I travel quite a bit but I don't come close to that number and I don't think I want to even consider flying that much. Unfortunately my corporate expenditure can't be used to accumulate miles ...

Comment

• It's 1st March but online redemption booking is still using old rates.
                What is happening?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                  It's 1st March but online redemption booking is still using old rates.
                  What is happening?
                  The website is a little misleading, it's from the 8th March 2012 (see below)

Extension of Saver Award

Starting 8 March 2012, you can redeem Saver Award for First and Business Class on most flights departing from 1 April 2012, including First and Business Class on our B777-300ER flights; and Business Class on our A380 and A340-500 flights. To find out more, please refer to the Frequent Asked Questions below.

But you are right the Award Charts states effective 1st March 20012 for flights from 1st April

Comment

• Originally posted by AsiaCommuter View Post
                    The website is a little misleading, it's from the 8th March 2012 (see below)

Extension of Saver Award

Starting 8 March 2012, you can redeem Saver Award for First and Business Class on most flights departing from 1 April 2012, including First and Business Class on our B777-300ER flights; and Business Class on our A380 and A340-500 flights. To find out more, please refer to the Frequent Asked Questions below.

But you are right the Award Charts states effective 1st March 20012 for flights from 1st April
                    No, from what you said I would assume that the SQ Booking engine is misleading. The new charts are effective, just no saver seats on the 77W/380/345 in C/F respectively, from my interpretation at least

Comment

It's 1st March but online redemption booking is still using old rates.
                      What is happening?
                      The Online Engine is the same in all countries. The new rates will only be live when Feb 29 is over in Hawaii as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by E-Aviation View Post
                        No, from what you said I would assume that the SQ Booking engine is misleading. The new charts are effective, just no saver seats on the 77W/380/345 in C/F respectively, from my interpretation at least
                        I stand corrected, yes for the saver seats on the 77W/380/345 in C/F it's 8th March - I assumed that was the reason for the post as this change was eagerly awaited by many...

Not sure of the reasons, but perhaps it would have been more simple to coincide the effective date for the new award chart and saver availability for the 77W/380/345 in C/F

Comment

• Just wondering, will they honor the earlier rates for tickets already issued before today in case we need to change dates later on?

Has anybody called and asked?

Comment

Just wondering, will they honor the earlier rates for tickets already issued before today in case we need to change dates later on?

Has anybody called and asked?
                            made a dummy change. seems that there is a need to top up the miles, even I am changing to a non-A380/77W flight in J.

btw, wat's the diff b/w option 1 and option 2?

Comment

• I am surprised that miles is required for top up even though it's Saver award despite the new mileage requirements.

This contradicts what another SQtalker said and what I gathered personally from the call centre staff that as long as its the same category (eg. Saver for Saver), then no top-up of miles required for change of dates.

Comment

• Not sure if its me but it don't seem to have gone live yet? I've been testing the redemption and I still wasn't able to do any to A380 SAVERs.
                                Life's A Bitch,
                                Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Working...
                                X