SQ online fares getting crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ online fares getting crazy

I wonder if it's a glitch in the online booking engine or the wrong rates are loaded. JKT <> Shanghai roundtrip in J now cost an eye-popping USD3431.65 to book online. And these seats are not even the stand-alone wide-J seats. By comparison,. the same sector via HK thru CX ( also J ) is USD1,946/=. Does anyone have the feeling that SQ recently is hiking fares like there is no tomorrow?

This is just too much. So CX that is. Just wish it's not one of their coffin J seats

Sounds like a C fare CGK-PVG-CGK.
    J fare is USD 400 less, but perhaps J is sold out on the flights you selected.
    Still, it is a big difference compared with CX price.
    Actually I would take CX herringbone J over SQ's regional seats - they are quite comfortable for sitting and sleeping. It is CX regional J seats (new and old) that I wish I can avoid!

Comment

Yeah, SQ J prices are soaring like crazy lately.
      Why isnt Shanghai given the 77W at least ? And why SQ830/833, which is the peak timing for PVG, is still using the regional 773?

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
        Sounds like a C fare CGK-PVG-CGK.
        J fare is USD 400 less, but perhaps J is sold out on the flights you selected.
        Still, it is a big difference compared with CX price.
        Actually I would take CX herringbone J over SQ's regional seats - they are quite comfortable for sitting and sleeping. It is CX regional J seats (new and old) that I wish I can avoid!
        I prefer the CX usual J seats than the coffin seats, which are too narrow and claustrophobic for me. But for the substantial saving, I'm willing to "suffer" in silence. Anyway, I don't think CX will use the coffin seats for the CGK->HK route as they normally use those seats for longer haul flight. Perhaps a frequent CX flyer can confirm that.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
          Yeah, SQ J prices are soaring like crazy lately.
          Why isnt Shanghai given the 77W at least ? And why SQ830/833, which is the peak timing for PVG, is still using the regional 773?
          Well, from SQ point of view, they are enjoying near full loads on these flights esp for paxs that are flying out from SIN, given that the competition for direct flights ex SIN will only be China airlines. In my last flight on this sector few weeks ago, both F and J class were totally full on a 773. If I'm not wrong, the 77W has less seating capacity than the 773, and hence lower total revenue in premium cabin. Hence no need for the 77W. It's different for the SIN <> HK route where they have to compete with CX.

As I fly out of CGK, I think I will use CX from now on for this sector due to the substantial savings.

Comment

Yes SQ J prices are going up fast on most routes, £1000 more than last year on my main routes, so I will be going F instead.

Comment

Originally posted by benlee View Post
              Well, from SQ point of view, they are enjoying near full loads on these flights esp for paxs that are flying out from SIN, given that the competition for direct flights ex SIN will only be China airlines. In my last flight on this sector few weeks ago, both F and J class were totally full on a 773. If I'm not wrong, the 77W has less seating capacity than the 773, and hence lower total revenue in premium cabin. Hence no need for the 77W. It's different for the SIN <> HK route where they have to compete with CX.

As I fly out of CGK, I think I will use CX from now on for this sector due to the substantial savings.
              Doesn't Air China do SIN-PVG? Or indirectly? I forgot - I searched in August last year...

Comment

When is the travel period? Near CNY period? Hahas!! CNY here ady, apa apa barang pun naik. (translation, CNY is here, prices of everything increases). lolx

In the serious side, SQ seems to hike fares quite substantially. Since the oil price is flirting with $100 or over, it can be foreseen that they may hike ticket price again. then it will be 0.0

Maybe related to the topic: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story...8&sec=business
                Last edited by jul247; 25 January 2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

As per a few threads sq is getting silly but so long as people keep paying then they will keep it up. Another rise due on the 26th I think due to oil prices.

Comment

If the schedule and frequency works for you, I think Garuda definitely provides the best value for CGK-PVG, I'm not sure if prices have increased recently but it's definitely less than USD2000--I'm quite certain I only paid $1700, but this was for travel during the Idul Fitri period last fall!!! SQ was charging around $800-$1000 for economy--and IMHO they have the best seat (ignoring the IFE) when compared to what SQ and CX offer on this route. The one serious downside of course is that GA only flies to PVG thrice weekly which is sadly far from convenient if one's traveling for business.

With regards to the SIN-PVG route the only other airline flying the direct route is China Eastern.

Comment

Originally posted by jul247 View Post
                      When is the travel period? Near CNY period? Hahas!! CNY here ady, apa apa barang pun naik. (translation, CNY is here, prices of everything increases). lolx

In the serious side, SQ seems to hike fares quite substantially. Since the oil price is flirting with $100 or over, it can be foreseen that they may hike ticket price again. then it will be 0.0

Maybe related to the topic: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story...8&sec=business
                      No, it's not during CNY period but during Mar 2011. I don't see they adjust fares down when oil prices plunged during the financial crisis but now making excuse to increase again. And heard another round of increase end of this month. Well, no point to complain also, the best way to protest is by our pocket books.

Benar sermua barang naik terus tapi tidak serperti SQ nigh terus sampai gila bergitu.

Comment

Originally posted by YYZ View Post
                        If the schedule and frequency works for you, I think Garuda definitely provides the best value for CGK-PVG, I'm not sure if prices have increased recently but it's definitely less than USD2000--I'm quite certain I only paid $1700, but this was for travel during the Idul Fitri period last fall!!! SQ was charging around $800-$1000 for economy--and IMHO they have the best seat (ignoring the IFE) when compared to what SQ and CX offer on this route. The one serious downside of course is that GA only flies to PVG thrice weekly which is sadly far from convenient if one's traveling for business.

With regards to the SIN-PVG route the only other airline flying the direct route is China Eastern.
                        1700 is a good rate. Unfortunately, their flight frequency isn't daily which kind of inconvenient for me. Saw pics of their newly revamped Business Class seats, which looks quite nice.

Comment

Saw pics of their newly revamped Business Class seats, which looks quite nice.
                          Indeed! Traveling for leisure my parents and I mostly fly GA J intra-asia now, unless we want to do a Singapore stopover of course. From my experience flying during the off-peak season, loads are quite low which of course gets you prompt and attentive service. Even during the peak season service remains excellent .

What my parents especially love especially when compared to SQ however is the lack of preparation for landing procedures .

Comment

No, it's not during CNY period but during Mar 2011. I don't see they adjust fares down when oil prices plunged during the financial crisis but now making excuse to increase again. And heard another round of increase end of this month. Well, no point to complain also, the best way to protest is by our pocket books.

Benar sermua barang naik terus tapi tidak serperti SQ nigh terus sampai gila bergitu.
                            Hahas!! will turn this forum into Malay forum. Lolx!! just joking.

SQ did decrease their total cost per ticket after the oil prices started to fall post 2008. However, they cut fuel surcharge but increase base ticket price= same old story.

Yap, tomorrow, you can see new prices all over.

What we can do now is to take connecting flights as it may be cheaper but more hassle. If not, use sampan (small boat) and row all the way to Shanghai. Easy and simple. and no carbon footprint.

Comment

Originally posted by jul247 View Post
                              Hahas!! will turn this forum into Malay forum. Lolx!! just joking.

SQ did decrease their total cost per ticket after the oil prices started to fall post 2008. However, they cut fuel surcharge but increase base ticket price= same old story.

Yap, tomorrow, you can see new prices all over.

What we can do now is to take connecting flights as it may be cheaper but more hassle. If not, use sampan (small boat) and row all the way to Shanghai. Easy and simple. and no carbon footprint.
                              Actually what I wrote is bahasa Indonesia, not Malay.

Good idea on the sampan. Maybe we can form a Join-venture. Other SQtalkers can also invest. We can then compete with SQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X