Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How strict is SQ with the 7kg carry on allowance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
    Yes, to me this makes no sense if they are so strict on the 7kg weight allowance. The person checking in next to me was made to take his laptop out of his carry on and carry it seperately, the checkin agent was then happy. I'm sure he just put it straight back in once he went through immigration.

SQ238.
    Originally posted by dreamwatch View Post
    BNE used to be no problem. I carry a fair size handbag/satchel and also a Lowepro camera rucksack as my hand luggage. I never even got asked to weigh it in the past, but we got caught out BIG time last year. We were very worried about our checked luggage being overweight so a few extras made their way into our hand luggage. So far, so good. I left my camera bag with my family while we checked in, but this time they wanted to see it and weigh it. Oops! I ran back to get it, took half of the lenses out then ran back to check in. Obviously, everything passed with no problems. Until we got to security and there was a woman there weighing them again. :o :lol: Well, she wasn't happy with our 9kg bags, so we started opening stuff and trying to move it around. Suddenly she gets an emergency call on her radio then waves us through as she ran off. We got through, but now that I know what they're going to be like I can be better prepared this year!
    Just to clarify again... at both BNE and MEL, one would encounter problems with a >7kg hand carry, regardless of carriers and class of travel? How about SYD?

I would be making a trip down under in the next year or so, hence I'm really concerned about this. My bag is always at least 13 kg. That is the bag containing all my camera equipment/electronics and laptop, and nothing else! I do not even carry much personal items except for a toothbrush/toothpaste, earphones, specs which can all fit into a coat pocket.

I don't see how I could reduce the weight to 7kg, except walk around with the cameras and lenses around my neck.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
      Just to clarify again... at both BNE and MEL, one would encounter problems with a >7kg hand carry, regardless of carriers and class of travel? How about SYD?
      I have always been asked to weigh my rollaboard at check in ex-SYD. It's definitely > 7kg. Considering that it contains 1x iPad/1x MB/1x MBP + other stuff. My Domke bag isn't too far off as well. Guess it's just a matter of procedure.

The DYKWIA card is really useful.

Comment

Just to clarify, I could carry a 7 kg handcarry, plus a personal item (containing laptop and camera) weighing about 13kg?
        My experience flying out of MEL is that the carry-on luggage should not exceed 7kg, or 9kg with laptop included. I seem to get this same message a few times from both the check-in agent and the airport staff positioned at the departure gate.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation, SQ238, dreamwatch, NickC and 9V-SWT.

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
          I have always been asked to weigh my rollaboard at check in ex-SYD. It's definitely > 7kg. Considering that it contains 1x iPad/1x MB/1x MBP + other stuff. My Domke bag isn't too far off as well. Guess it's just a matter of procedure.

The DYKWIA card is really useful.
          It seems that SYD is the best port of departure for Australia then!

Would not have thought that a DYKWIA would need a card for identification! How'd I get a DYKWIA card anyway?!

Comment

phaleesy: All Aussie airports that I've gone through (haven't been to ADL but will do PER next week) tend to be really uptight with carry-ons. I had the same 'third degree' ex-BNE (one of the harshest), but they didn't stop me on my J BP, plus my carry-on/laptop were purposely chosen as they are one of the lightest to begin with. It didn't register more than 7.2kg in total.

Had I gone > 8kg, I would not be so sure that the agent would have been so lenient. I would have of course removed my laptop and held it in my arms should that have been the case (deducting 1.38kg automagically) should push come to shove.

I'm guessing this DYKWIA card is not really a FFP card or even an APEC one?

Comment

Would not have thought that a DYKWIA would need a card for identification! How'd I get a DYKWIA card anyway?!
              Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              I'm guessing this DYKWIA card is not really a FFP card or even an APEC one?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSgHD8cSKjI (Having a student card helps as well - the excuse of "bringing home" textbooks + notes)

Having done countless ex-SYDs in the last 4 years, I would say they are really lenient with PPS & SQ Golds. Not as generous to other *Gs though. YMMV. The lounge dragon in the SKL remembers me as well.

Once I had 4 carry ons and no one said a thing - rollaboard + havesack + camera bag + krispy kremes.
              Last edited by Nick C; 10 November 2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

MEL officials are really anal. I think there is some degree of discretion should be applied. At the end of the day, enforcement needs to achieve something.

If I were asked to do that job, I would:

1) First look at the size of the luggage and what else the person has.
                2) If the luggage is regulation size, then I would accept up to 10kg.
                3) If it is too large, then I would reject it regardless of weight, because it would eat into other passengers lugage space

Rejecting someone carrying just 1 rollaway within the right size that is 8.5kg does not achieve anything, except frustration.

BTW, with a J/C Class Boarding Pass, they have always waved me past the weighing point - because I am allowed 2 pieces and my 2 pieces looks small and light (1 shoulder and 1 backpack) - actually they weigh as much as 9kg each.

Comment

My 2 nephews just came back with SQ212 from SYD (12 Nov) for their study break....
                  For the first time, the check-in agent was weighted their carry on (they have 1 small cabin size whellers and 1 computer bag each).
                  They were 8.5kgs and 9kgs (for each whellers).
                  The check-in agent asked them to remove some stuff untill they're only 7kgs.
                  They ended up with put all their cabin luggage (except their computer bags) into the aircraft's belly....
                  They were on Y class tickets, not on the cheaper M, W, Q or other promo classes ticket... (so... for SQ, eY is eY, no matter what's your sub class. Y, B, M, Q or V class is not a big deal for them, all are the same eY. No more lenient for higher Y class)
                  It looks like they are more strict with the carry on's weight now...
                  (or it was just because of the plane has changed from A380 into B773, and it was chooking full???)
                  Many times flew with SQ, TG or GA from SYD (mostly with SQ) on J or F, my carry on(s) have never been got weighted by the check-in agent before. They just gave a look at my 20" wheellers and my big shoulder bag, and said nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SWT View Post
                    My experience flying out of MEL is that the carry-on luggage should not exceed 7kg, or 9kg with laptop included. I seem to get this same message a few times from both the check-in agent and the airport staff positioned at the departure gate.

Yes, indeed so. MEL airport is soooo very strict with hand-carry cabin bags. Thank goodness we travelled light this time. I have never ever experienced having to weigh hand-carry cabin bags at the check-in weigh machine all these years of traveling all over Europe, Asia and the US until MEL. I was in the Bags Drop Q at MEL and there was a lady in front of me who was sent away to re-pack. She looked like a student. The check-in agent said "no no... your cabin baggage is too heavy...".

Comment

It's been a long time since I flew on another carrier and alas my budget doesn't stretch past Y ; for the people in the uncomfortable seats flying SQ through Brisbane you are DEFINITELY going to get a hard time. Maybe it's because it's a quieter airport and they just have a little more time to check these things. Who knows?

I don't see how I could reduce the weight to 7kg, except walk around with the cameras and lenses around my neck.
                      My problem exactly! I panicked like crazy when the security woman stopped us - my camera bag was packed to the gills, I had no idea what I was going to do with it all. Like I say we got lucky that time, and I know better for the next time - just over three weeks time actually.

Be sure to let us know how you get on. And good luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X