Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How strict is SQ with the 7kg carry on allowance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
    MEL station is very strict in regards to hand carry. You are allowed 7 kg (max. 8kg) of hand carry and you are also allowed one personal item (eg. laptop, handbags, or camera bags).

In regards to checked in bags, it would depend on your agent, the SQ reps, and also the flight load. If it's a full flight, it is unlikely they let you go easily.
    Plus, if you only have carry-on without check-in... it should be alright....

just make sure u winked to your check-in agent hehehehe

Comment

Originally posted by blast-off View Post
      Plus, if you only have carry-on without check-in... it should be alright....

just make sure u winked to your check-in agent hehehehe
      Unfortunately it is not that simple, as MEL and BNE actually employ someone to wait around just before immigration and give people grief over their hand luggage. These people are airport employees, not airline employees and I cannot for the life of me understand why they are so anal about this.

I have never had any problem whatsoever from SQ staff at check-in at either place, whether that's to do with being QPP/TPP or whatever I don't know. Maybe we have stumbled on an actual benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        Unfortunately it is not that simple, as MEL and BNE actually employ someone to wait around just before immigration and give people grief over their hand luggage. These people are airport employees, not airline employees and I cannot for the life of me understand why they are so anal about this.
        The benefits I see for the airport is
        • reduced amount of hand luggage to be screened ie scanning the contracted amount per PAX.
        • better reputation fir shorter queues
        • shop revenue greater as people in a better mood due to shorter queues
        • increased chance of ontime departure as less hand luggage to be stored.

My thoughts.

Comment

I have never had any problem whatsoever from SQ staff at check-in at either place, whether that's to do with being QPP/TPP or whatever I don't know. Maybe we have stumbled on an actual benefit.
          Its true... They're the contracted airport security... and they're acting based on the advise of the relevant airlines. But... sometimes they just ask you to get authorisation for relevant airlines then they will let it go.. Also, doesn't wanna sound discriminating against pax type, but they're more strict towards EYCL pax...

Comment

Originally posted by Albatross710 View Post
            The benefits I see for the airport is

reduced amount of hand luggage to be screened ie scanning the contracted amount per PAX.
            better reputation fir shorter queues
            Maybe, but they could solve that by actually using and manning the scanning machines and desks that sit unused while people queue. Maybe even move the guy stood around annoying people by weighing their hand luggage over to said machines.

shop revenue greater as people in a better mood due to shorter queues
            Well at the moment it's working the opposite way as they are annoying loads of people by arguing with them about their hand luggage.

increased chance of ontime departure as less hand luggage to be stored.[/LIST]
            If the annoying guy was moved and nobody was being pulled up, stopped and in some cases made to go back to check-in and check their luggage then people would be at the gate earlier.

Originally posted by blast-off View Post
            Its true... They're the contracted airport security... and they're acting based on the advise of the relevant airlines. But... sometimes they just ask you to get authorisation for relevant airlines then they will let it go.. Also, doesn't wanna sound discriminating against pax type, but they're more strict towards EYCL pax...
            I have never been sent back myself, and they do indeed ask what class I am flying, but as my hand luggage is the largest possible allowed size they always pull me up. Surely it is up to the airlines to do ths at check-in ?. I don't know anywhere else in the world they do this, save for the LCC's in the UK, who I avoid unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

On my recent flights with SQ, they did not weigh my carry-on bags during check-in, unlike CX, KA, and MU. The check-in agents would ask us to put our carry-on bags onto the weighing belt to see if it's more than 7kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxie773 View Post
                On my recent flights with SQ, they did not weigh my carry-on bags during check-in, unlike CX, KA, and MU. The check-in agents would ask us to put our carry-on bags onto the weighing belt to see if it's more than 7kg.
                This is a better practics.
                I saw some with max allow size but is a matel case. So heavy that it need 2 person to carry up. I cannot think off if this thing fall down onto someone seaing below it.

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
                  MEL station is very strict in regards to hand carry. You are allowed 7 kg (max. 8kg) of hand carry and you are also allowed one personal item (eg. laptop, handbags, or camera bags).

Just to clarify, I could carry a 7 kg handcarry, plus a personal item (containing laptop and camera) weighing about 13kg?

Comment

You won't have any problem with 8 kg. The only issue you sometimes have down there is the anal issue Australian and NZ airports seem to have with hand luggage, for reasons I really am unable to fathom. SYD isn't to bad but MEL and BNE....

You would think it was the airports themselves carrying your luggage, not the airline...
                    A quick report back after my flights....

Spot on what MAN Flyer said, out of MEL they were very strict but allowed my 8.2kgs.

Return from BKK was total opposite, check in girl didn't even want me to put my luggage on the scales.

In future I will have to monitor my carry on out of MEL to be no more than about 8.2kgs.

SQ238.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                      Just to clarify, I could carry a 7 kg handcarry, plus a personal item (containing laptop and camera) weighing about 13kg?
                      Yes, to me this makes no sense if they are so strict on the 7kg weight allowance. The person checking in next to me was made to take his laptop out of his carry on and carry it seperately, the checkin agent was then happy. I'm sure he just put it straight back in once he went through immigration.

SQ238.

Comment

Sounds like fun out of MEL

Comment

What are the limits and how strict is SQ about carryon for F pax LAX-(NRT)-SIN?

Flying the weekend after next and will probably carry a garment bag on board, in addition to my tote. I've had no problem with a rollaboard and my tote in the past, and was not questioned about the weight of the rollaboard. The garment bag is a little bit bigger but still qualifies as carryon size. I haven't weighed it, and am not sure about weight, though 7 kg sounds awfully light.

Relatedly, is the ex-USA checked baggage limit for F pax still two pieces of no more than 23 kg each?

Comment

Originally posted by MegatopLover View Post
                            What are the limits and how strict is SQ about carryon for F pax LAX-(NRT)-SIN?

Flying the weekend after next and will probably carry a garment bag on board, in addition to my tote. I've had no problem with a rollaboard and my tote in the past, and was not questioned about the weight of the rollaboard. The garment bag is a little bit bigger but still qualifies as carryon size. I haven't weighed it, and am not sure about weight, though 7 kg sounds awfully light.

Relatedly, is the ex-USA checked baggage limit for F pax still two pieces of no more than 23 kg each?
                            Not strict at all. I flew this route in F in July with my wife and we had 2x hand luggages each with each easily weighing 15kg. It was so heavy I was even uneasy letting the FS helping me put it in the overhead bin. Wife had to help a Flight stewardess put hers in her side of the overhead bin.

Comment

Surely it is up to the airlines to do ths at check-in ?. I don't know anywhere else in the world they do this, save for the LCC's in the UK, who I avoid unless absolutely necessary.
                              I believe it happens (or at least did happen) at HKG. There are people after check-in and before you enter airside whose job is to check the size of hand luggage. J or F check-in will give you a tag to attach to oversized bags to let you go through.

And of course there was BAA with their former 1 hand luggage only rule. I remember on occasion taking stuff out of my hand luggage and either wearing it or putting it into my coat pockets; and then putting my laptop case inside the now vacant space in the my hand luggage. And reversing the process as soon as I'd gone through security.

Comment

BNE used to be no problem. I carry a fair size handbag/satchel and also a Lowepro camera rucksack as my hand luggage. I never even got asked to weigh it in the past, but we got caught out BIG time last year. We were very worried about our checked luggage being overweight so a few extras made their way into our hand luggage. So far, so good. I left my camera bag with my family while we checked in, but this time they wanted to see it and weigh it. Oops! I ran back to get it, took half of the lenses out then ran back to check in. Obviously, everything passed with no problems. Until we got to security and there was a woman there weighing them again. :o :lol: Well, she wasn't happy with our 9kg bags, so we started opening stuff and trying to move it around. Suddenly she gets an emergency call on her radio then waves us through as she ran off. We got through, but now that I know what they're going to be like I can be better prepared this year!

Comment

Working...
                                X