A380/77W: route and equipment rumours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dj_jay_smith View Post
    Why not simply upgrade the SQ325/6 to the A380? That would free up the 77W and provide more capacity on the route during a time when the market is picking up.
    The bulk of the demand wants to go at the SQ25/26 times, not the SQ325/326 times. If SQ were to upgauge SQ325/326 to WhaleJet service, the yields would be decimated.

Comment

Is AKL (SQ285/6) still a contender for the Whalejet? That would free up a 77W...

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
        Is AKL (SQ285/6) still a contender for the Whalejet?
        That is certainly an option available to SQ. Given the high proportion of leisure passengers to AKL, I think it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by solitaire View Post
          SIN-FRA-JFK-TPE-SIN(vv) also by Oct 2011 using 77W initially and later upgrading to the whalejet.
          When you say by OCT 11, is there a chance a flight at the beginning of Sep could be on 77W? I'm particularly interested in the SIN-FRA sector.
          Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

Comment

Shanghai & Beijing better...

Why not put A380s or B777-300ERs on Shanghai or Beijing routes for SQ830 & SQ802? Both these flights are B777-300 (18 seater in First Class) for dates in Jan 2012. There are 4 to 5 flights a day to Shanghai and 3 to Beijing...

Comment

Originally posted by vsepr View Post
              Why not put A380s or B777-300ERs on Shanghai or Beijing routes for SQ830 & SQ802? Both these flights are B777-300 (18 seater in First Class) for dates in Jan 2012. There are 4 to 5 flights a day to Shanghai and 3 to Beijing...
              In the case of PVG, consolidating flights can kill loads

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                In the case of PVG, consolidating flights can kill loads
                Not only in the case of PVG, consolidating flights always reduces both loads and yields, if fares are held constant. Sometimes, the cost savings from consolidation exceeds the reduction in revenue, but not very often.

Comment

Originally posted by pogonation View Post
                  When you say by OCT 11, is there a chance a flight at the beginning of Sep could be on 77W? I'm particularly interested in the SIN-FRA sector.
                  I don't know if this will really happen or not, but airlines usually revise schedule following DST changes. DST ends at Oct 30 this year. If you are flying SIN-FRA-SIN only, SQ325/326 is operated by 77W now.

Comment

Keep in mind that there will be four WhaleJet deliveries in 2011 and four more in 2012. The first two will be quite soon and SIN-NRT-LAX will be the next route to be upgauged. That will leave just SIN-FRA-JFK and perhaps the occasional SIN-SYD/MEL as the only JumboJet routes left at SQ.

It will be interesting to see how the SIN-TPE-JFK-FRA-SIN and vv. rumour plays out. I could imagine SQ flying SIN-TPE-JFK-FRA and vv. with the 777-300ER timed to meet in FRA WhaleJet flights operating SIN-FRA and vv. In other words, I can imagine a 777-300ER from JFK landing in FRA at the same time that a WhaleJet coming from SIN lands. If they both takeoff about 90 minutes later, passengers can easily continue their travel.

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                      It will be interesting to see how the SIN-TPE-JFK-FRA-SIN and vv. rumour plays out. I could imagine SQ flying SIN-TPE-JFK-FRA and vv. with the 777-300ER timed to meet in FRA WhaleJet flights operating SIN-FRA and vv. In other words, I can imagine a 777-300ER from JFK landing in FRA at the same time that a WhaleJet coming from SIN lands. If they both takeoff about 90 minutes later, passengers can easily continue their travel.
                      Currently SQ26 arrives at FRA at 6-ish in the morning; SQ25 departs FRA at noon or slightly after depending whether DST is active or otherwise. There is a 6 hour gap. There doesn't seem to be anyway for them to leave within 90 minutes of each other unless departure/arrival timings at SIN changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by eriond View Post
                        Currently SQ26 arrives at FRA at 6-ish in the morning; SQ25 departs FRA at noon or slightly after depending whether DST is active or otherwise. There is a 6 hour gap. There doesn't seem to be anyway for them to leave within 90 minutes of each other unless departure/arrival timings at SIN changes.
                        SQ25 could be re-timed to depart FRA at 07:30 and arrive SIN just after midnight.

Comment

• Zvezda,

As the 380s come in, do you think there is any chance one of the freed 77W will be deployed to Amsterdam, Athens or Copenhagen?

Comment

• Maybe AMS but not likely for ATH & CPH as these are not even daily

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              Maybe AMS but not likely for ATH & CPH as these are not even daily
                              Agreed!

Also there must be demand for F as all three are served by 2-class aircraft now. However, the key issue is that SQ has a shortage of 77Ws. I am not even sure if they have sufficient to deploy SIN-FRA-JFK-TPE-SIN which requires three additional 77Ws. With no 77Ws on order, SQ must free up three 77Ws from other routes just to start this RTW flight.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC* View Post
                                Zvezda,

As the 380s come in, do you think there is any chance one of the freed 77W will be deployed to Amsterdam, Athens or Copenhagen?
                                For AMS, chances of 777-300ER service are slim. For CPH and especially for ATH, the chances closely approximate zero.

Comment

Working...
                                X