Excess Baggage for Students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EWR View Post
    I hope they still give 10 kg extra free for students. I am about to buy a ticket with them on full fare Y!! not cheap!!! (Do I just call them?)

oh and is there a way to get to a Singapore center?
    Where are you flying to/from?

If you're flying to/from USA, the baggage allowance is 2 pieces @ 23kg each.

Comment

They may oblige if you're a student, but you have to write or call them. Recently I realized I would have more than 30kg of baggage coming back on SQ from Europe. A few emails and phone calls later, they offered me an extra 10kg baggage allowance.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I'm flying from Singapore to commence on my studies.

I have tried to call them (before booking) and I got to an Indian centre. They were so rigid, and insisted I only get 20 kg. They say I can make my own decision whether I like it or not. Very annoying and unhelpful!!

I could do with the 10kg extra allowance! (yeah, I saw the exhorbitant student fare too with 40 kg luggage - the Indian centre told me to go get that, but I am really reluctant to foot another S$200 more, when SQ's price is already quite a few hundreds over competition!)

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
          Thank you all for your replies. I'm flying from Singapore to commence on my studies.

I have tried to call them (before booking) and I got to an Indian centre. They were so rigid, and insisted I only get 20 kg. They say I can make my own decision whether I like it or not. Very annoying and unhelpful!!

I could do with the 10kg extra allowance! (yeah, I saw the exhorbitant student fare too with 40 kg luggage - the Indian centre told me to go get that, but I am really reluctant to foot another S$200 more, when SQ's price is already quite a few hundreds over competition!)
          S$200 will still be cheaper than what you would pay for excess. I believe it's USD 50 per kg. Well, you did choose to pay to fly SQ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
            S$200 will still be cheaper than what you would pay for excess. I believe it's USD 50 per kg. Well, you did choose to pay to fly SQ...
            Nope. I haven't chosen to fly on SQ. I am saying I would not be willing to pay that S$200 extra for a student ticket - and much less pay excess baggage - and that the current Y fare is probably as far as I would go. In that sense, without an increased baggage allowance, I would be hard pressed to justify choosing them

Comment

My son was on an exchange program in Ireland and we booked him on the Singapore-London midnight flight operating on a SIA A380.

Like you, he was advised by friends that students got the extra 10Kg allowance. It's a myth.

Upon check-in, he was told that he had exceed his baggage allowance. He was told to reduce his baggage weight to 27Kg before they can check in his bag. This is taking into consideration that he got no cabin bag; they transfer the 7Kg hand carried cabin bag allowance to his baggage. That was the first time when we were told that SIA offers a student ticket that comes with the extra baggage allowance associated with overseas study.

I would have gladly bought that special ticket if they would publish this on their website, just to do away with all these inconvenience at the airport. $200 is a good deal as I was even willing to buy another ticket to fly with him to ensure he could get all his stuff over.

(Audio)
              Last edited by Audio; 8 September 2011, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Ex-SIN, I have only heard of 40kg allowance (expensive student ticket) and 20kg (normal ticket), even when departing SIN as the return leg. I believe that there is no extra allowance granted if no extra money is paid.

On the other hand, for all SQ ex-LHR flights, additional 10kg is automatically granted for students irregardless of fare basis.

Comment

Does it help if the OP has *G status?
                  I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

I just want to update that SQ has very generously approved the extra 10kg allowance. An email confirmation has also been provided.

Comment

Congrats,

Good for you.

I find SIA reasonable on most occasions.

Comment

Working...
                      X