Excess Baggage for Students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excess Baggage for Students

Hi, I'm flying to London in a week's time on SQ for my studies, and am wondering if there are any baggage concessions for students? 20KG might just be a tad too little.

You do yes. You can get an extra 10KG for free

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9481

Comment

When I was a student in Melbourne, I had called SQ on a couple of occasions to verify if I would receive an additional 10kg baggage allowance for students but I was informed that there was no such additional allowance.

However, my friend tipped me off that you would get the 10kg as long as you present your student ID during check-in. True enough, in my 4 years of shuttling between SIN-MEL on SQ with standard fares, I had no trouble with the excess baggage. I reckon this might have been one of those 'unwritten rules' perhaps?
      -z.h.i.w.e.n-

Comment

Originally posted by moddie View Post
        Hi, I'm flying to London in a week's time on SQ for my studies, and am wondering if there are any baggage concessions for students? 20KG might just be a tad too little.
        If this is your first time heading to the United Kingdom, you should also have with you a few copies of the Student Status letter or something similarly entitled. This letter should tell anyone who reads it that you're a student at So and So University. So you'll can use that letter in place of your student ID.

I've had a couple of occasions though where they simply accepted that I was a student prima facie and didn't even bother looking at my student ID.

P.S. What University will you be joining? I'm up at University of Warwick so holla if you're gonna be in the Midlands!

Comment

Technically you should get a student fare from the TAs. That's what I did. 40kg allowance but you pay for it.

Yes they are quite lenient in granting you excess if you are a student. Normal passengers get to about 23-25kg.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeeblack View Post
            If this is your first time heading to the United Kingdom, you should also have with you a few copies of the Student Status letter or something similarly entitled. This letter should tell anyone who reads it that you're a student at So and So University. So you'll can use that letter in place of your student ID.

I've had a couple of occasions though where they simply accepted that I was a student prima facie and didn't even bother looking at my student ID.

P.S. What University will you be joining? I'm up at University of Warwick so holla if you're gonna be in the Midlands!
            I'll be in University of Southampton. Thanks all for the reply! Hope the 30kg limit works

Comment

I have a few questions:

1) what does it mean 'ex-singapore'?

2) Can you qualify for student fares if you are just going for pleasure, and not for studies?

Comment

Originally posted by jatt_flyer View Post
                I have a few questions:

1) what does it mean 'ex-singapore'?

2) Can you qualify for student fares if you are just going for pleasure, and not for studies?
                Hi Jatt,

1) If i'm not mistaken, "ex-singapore" refers to ex-singaporeans who are migrating out of Singapore.

2) You do qualify for student fares if you are a student going on a holiday, but that wouldn't be economical, since student "Y" class fares (although with extra baggage allowances) are most costly than normal economy fares.

Comment

I believe ex-SIN just means people exiting Singapore.

Comment

I assume this question arose because of post #2 in the thread cited earlier?

Ex-[place name] means a flight (or more generally, a journey) originating from [place name] or the fare that results from being sold as originating from [place name]. Because food is also rather important to SQTalkers , ex-[place name] is also used to refer to the menu selection on flights from [place name]. For example, 'ex-LHR lamb' is often the shortcut for the lamb BTC option on the ex-LHR flights.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Oh i got it wrong. Thanks all for the little lesson

Comment

Totally agree about the cost of Student Fares. So not worth it. Sometimes it's more economical to check out other airlines. Emirates gives you 30 Kilo for booking online. No questions asked.

Comment

I know this has nothing to do with the topic of excess baggage, but the 10 abreast sitting on EK's 77W, long transit hours and 2 flights of 7 hours to UK might be the tipping point for some.

Comment

Originally posted by eriond View Post
                            I know this has nothing to do with the topic of excess baggage, but the 10 abreast sitting on EK's 77W, long transit hours and 2 flights of 7 hours to UK might be the tipping point for some.
                            I hope they still give 10 kg extra free for students. I am about to buy a ticket with them on full fare Y!! not cheap!!! (Do I just call them?)

oh and is there a way to get to a Singapore center?

Comment

Free excess baggage for students depends on which station you are departing from.

There's no student discounts, but there are student fares for selected markets and it is more expensive than the Y fare as it consists of 40kg baggage allowance.

Comment

Working...
                              X