Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goh Choon Phong named as CEO of Singapore Airlines from 1 Jan 2011.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goh Choon Phong named as CEO of Singapore Airlines from 1 Jan 2011.

Bloomberg-Singapore Airlines Ltd., the world’s second-largest carrier by market value, named Goh Choon Phong as chief executive officer, replacing Chew Choon Seng, who retires at the end of the year.

Goh, 47, will take charge on Jan. 1, according to a Singapore stock exchange statement today. Goh, currently executive vice president for marketing and regions as well as chairman of the SilkAir regional unit, will join the airline’s board Oct. 1.

The executive will inherit a carrier that’s facing rising competition from Emirates Airline for lucrative business traffic and from AirAsia Bhd. and Jetstar for cost-conscious leisure travelers. He also needs to bring back capacity that was cut during last year’s global recession without swamping demand.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...g-in-2011.html

Cheong Choong Kong
    Chew Choon Seng
    Goh Choon Phong

Seems like a particular naming algorithm is the main determinant who becomes SQ CEO...

Comment

Must be tough on Gen Bey not to have made it. The choice in some ways is not a surprise as they tend to take in some folks with technical background and have been with the airline from young.

Perhaps I should change my name to the following:

Poh Choon Beng (The last letter has to end with a G, not more than 5 characters in the last word, not less than 4 letters in the last name and finally there is a "h" in the family name. Thanks for the tip milehighj.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
        Cheong Choong Kong
        Chew Choon Seng
        Goh Choon Phong

Seems like a particular naming algorithm is the main determinant who becomes SQ CEO...
        I knew there was a reason I didn't get hired.

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
        The choice in some ways is not a surprise as they tend to take in some folks with technical background and have been with the airline from young.
        They really need to pull somebody from sales who can bring them back in touch with their customers.
        HUGE AL

Comment

I've got the right surname to go run SQ. Actually, come to think of it, I've got the right surname to run Singapore . Time to start the emigration process !

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post

Perhaps I should change my name to the following:

Poh Choon Beng (The last letter has to end with a G, not more than 5 characters in the last word, not less than 4 letters in the last name and finally there is a "h" in the family name. Thanks for the tip milehighj.
            Sorry, almost... However Rule #4 of the algorithm says no Bengs can qualify...

Comment

Oh dear. That is KNN rule I am afraid. Must complain.

Comment

I sincerely hope this person will be more accommodating to customers.

Many locals know that even to get into some departments like SIA engineering, it depends on what the chinese call "guang Xi."

Anyone wants to hire a accounting/finance grad??
                Last edited by RHG; 4 September 2010, 08:20 PM.

Comment

They must have changed the rules. Lim Chin Beng was the airline's first chief in 1972 !

Comment

Wondering if the new guy is related to the unholy Goh...
                    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

He's ok and am sure employee relations and with the pilots' union will take a turn for the better.

Comment

hopefully he might reduce some of the ridiculous cost cutting
                        And focus more on quality than profits

Comment

Hopefully not another Clone

How to spell "Dolly"? In Chinese!!
                          Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

I hope he is not the brains behind making people who take earlier flights esp ex-kul go without food.

Comment

So much expectations for GCP. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

Working...
                              X