No announcement yet.

Ooh, Bollinger in J!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On SQ25 on 14 May, Henriot was on the menu, but only Bollinger was served...not gonna complain.
    /Desert Traveller

Comment

SQ16 and SQ609 SIN-ICN-SIN both segments had Henriot only (last week).

Comment

SQ26 on Apr 28 had Henriot only and that was also what the menu said (no more Bollinger on it). The LS looked for Bolli but came back with the bad news. She asked us if we wanted the Henriot instead and I just told her thanks but no thanks as that stuff is really no good. I had the German Riesling instead.

BTW, I got a pretty good idea (from a wine & spirits industry resource) what SQ asked in the tender request to pay for its wines & champagne. In C for champagne it was 15 USD a bottle. Hahah, no wonder we get crappy stuff. Most of the major houses said that they don't have anything in their portfolio of champagne brands to offer at such a price point. I would rather drink Chandon sparkling wine then the Henriot.
        Last edited by demue; 30 May 2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I doubt they get Bollinger supplied at 15usd a pop, though? Sounds awfully low...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            I doubt they get Bollinger supplied at 15usd a pop, though? Sounds awfully low...
            It is incredibly low. The Bolli was procurred prior to that (contract locking in the price) from my understanding. That's why you don't see it any longer. Prices set for reds and whites in C are even lower now under 10 USD.

Comment

Originally posted by demue View Post
              It is incredibly low. The Bolli was procurred prior to that (contract locking in the price) from my understanding. That's why you don't see it any longer. Prices set for reds and whites in C are even lower now under 10 USD.
              You mean they did manage to lock it in prior to that at 15USD? Impressive feat, if so...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                You mean they did manage to lock it in prior to that at 15USD? Impressive feat, if so...
                NO before they had a higher threshold and were paying more. But in another spur of trying to wring out cost savings the latest tender request went out a few months ago (they restock in cycles). The Bolli was from the previus agreement and I don't know what they paid for it.

What I was saying is that the latest request for quotation from suppliers specified a desired price of around 15USD for a bottle of champagne for C class. The suppliers also need to be able to meet certain volume targets meaning being able to supply specific quantities of the product. These requirements obviously vary from Y to C to F.

Comment

Bolly still around - seems to feature regularly on the SIN-BKK-SIN run (based on my six flights in the last 3 weeks)

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
                    Bolly still around - seems to feature regularly on the SIN-BKK-SIN run (based on my six flights in the last 3 weeks)
                    Lucky you. I have to remember that.

Comment

I feel faint... oooo....

Comment

When I was in Spain, earlier this month, I found some very good Rioja wines for 10 euros at the supermarket. I don't subscribe to low price = bad wine principle, though that may be true in many instances. Having said that, I've not tasted a good red in J on SQ; I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the conjecture that taste buds are affected by the low air pressure or if the wine is sub $10!.

I do hope that SQ employ people who knows their wines when they do a tender for them.

Comment

In May, SQ 21/22 SIN-EWR-SIN were Henriot only. No Bollinger. It tasted so bad, I had to ask whether it had in fact been properly chilled.

Side note: The Riesling, the Chardonnay and the Haut Medoc were all quite good by comparison. There was a Barbera that was not to my taste at all.

Comment

I agree that a wine does not have to be expensive to taste good. Heck we had a 5 Euro a bottle of Chianti DOCG ever day for dinner at the Tuscan vineyard we were staying at and it tasted great.

However, asking for a decent Champagne in a 15 USD price range is very tough. Better go and procur a very nice tasting sparkling wine instead IMHO. That's more realistic.

Comment

[...] However, asking for a decent Champagne in a 15 USD price range is very tough. Better go and procur a very nice tasting sparkling wine instead IMHO. That's more realistic.
                              True, but Sainsbury's in the UK several times had deals on Lanson for GBP15 in retail in the past few years. Not sure what they paid to procure it but it's probably not far off from USD15.

Henriot actually has some good reviews...same score as Bollinger in one. Not sure I'd agree, but I have not done a back to back tasting. Maybe Bollinger tastes better in the air than Henriot?
                              /Desert Traveller

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Traveller View Post
                                True, but Sainsbury's in the UK several times had deals on Lanson for GBP15 in retail in the past few years. Not sure what they paid to procure it but it's probably not far off from USD15.

Henriot actually has some good reviews...same score as Bollinger in one. Not sure I'd agree, but I have not done a back to back tasting. Maybe Bollinger tastes better in the air than Henriot?
                                Surely SQ doesn't pay anywhere close to USD15 for a bottle of Krug, but somehow I doubt it's also anywhere close to that with a 0 on the end...

Comment

Working...
                                X