Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about SQ girls smoking openly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, taking the bus to the airport in their uniform does not affect their job performance in anyway. But they’re not allowed to.. Presumably because it cheapens the image.

It’s the same for smoking I feel. Doesn’t affect their service standards, they may not reek of cigarette smoke, but it’s a little controversial if you will, doesn’t quite go well with the image- i.e. does the Singapore Girl endorse smoking?

There’s absolutely no denying its always been about image for the SQ cabin crew when they’re in their uniform. Anyone can think of a lot of practical things that would be disallowed and a lot of unpractical things that are done to maintain that image when they're in their uniform. Bottom line, its all about image.

I'm surprised SQ merely discourages, not disallows it... but they completely disallow them from taking pictures in uniform.

Oh well, their company responded so I think it ends there

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
      There’s absolutely no denying its always been about image for the SQ cabin crew when they’re in their uniform. Anyone can think of a lot of practical things that would be disallowed and a lot of unpractical things that are done to maintain that image when they're in their uniform. Bottom line, its all about image.

I'm surprised SQ merely discourages, not disallows it... but they completely disallow them from taking pictures in uniform.

I fully agree with your stand. Well said. Its all about the image the public has of the SQ girl.

Comment

but they completely disallow them from taking pictures in uniform.
        HUH??

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
          Smokers are everywhere in the world: Bank employed, politicians, managers, FAs, cockpit crew, and so on.
          Said that, any of them must avoid from smoking when on duty, I agree: I don't think there's something wrong with this, because they are not off duty. But I suppose they are free to smoke if not on duty.
          Many employers prohibit their employees from using specified recreational drugs off-duty. In some cases, nicotine is among the recreational drugs prohibited.

Comment

Originally posted by kluau88 View Post
            HUH??
            I recall a famous incident on Stomp, Sg's most popular citizen media portal where a "Stomper" posted pictures (I believe from a blog) of an SQ stewardess and her steward boyfriend in uniform and asked if they were allowed to do so.

Got a lot of responses. SQ officially replied that they were strictly not allowed to take pictures of themselves in uniform and post it on the internet and they advised them to remove it.

Comment

I recall a famous incident on Stomp, Sg's most popular citizen media portal where a "Stomper" posted pictures (I believe from a blog) of an SQ stewardess and her steward boyfriend in uniform and asked if they were allowed to do so.

Got a lot of responses. SQ officially replied that they were strictly not allowed to take pictures of themselves in uniform and post it on the internet and they advised them to remove it.
              But it's ok for passengers to post them? And there are literally dozens of videos of SQ girls on the internet. Just check out YouTube...
              Have you checked your blind spot lately?

Comment

Well ladies and gentlemen of the jury...

Whilst waiting to board SQ231 early this morning I had a brief chat with an IFS whilst waiting to board my flight. Where did this brief chat occur? The Smoking Area adjacent to Hard Rock Cafe bar...

We had a chat about the whole smoking issue and as was mentioned earlier in this thread there's no official line on smoking. The IFS mentioned that all crew are wary of the stigma attached to smoking, and are mindful of this before boarding the aircraft...

Comment

The key point to note is that staff are not allowed to post pictures of themselves in uniform *ONLINE*...
                  Got a lot of responses. SQ officially replied that they were strictly not allowed to take pictures of themselves:

1) in uniform

and

2) post it on the internet

and they advised them to remove it.
                  This is correct. Emphasis mine...

Comment

I know this is a bit OT, I have seen a minority of cabin crew having their last puff or first puff before and after their flights. I haven't been able to sniff the slightest cigarette odour despite close personal contact with the cabin crew during service onboard. Just how did they managed to get rid of the cigarette odour?

FYI, I am not too bothered about it although I do agree it does not gel well with the image.

Comment

This is, in my mind, something that has to be between SQ and the crew but I always feel a bit sad when I see a young, pretty girl smoking, be it an SQ girl or any other girl for that matter. (male chauvinist pig, i know). But, I can understand those who smoke that after a 5-10-18 hr flight, that a to light a fag may feel good. I have never ever been able to sense any other scent than a light touch of perfume and I think of myself as being fairly sensitive to the smell of smoking. my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
                        I haven't been able to sniff the slightest cigarette odour despite close personal contact with the cabin crew during service onboard.
                        One wonders what these words mean beyond the usual contact every pax has with cabin crew during service onboard. Lucky for some!

Comment

To put it in simple terms, I do not like how the SQ Girls smoke in uniform in public. If they smoke in uniform away from the public (in a crew only smoking room) then, maybe that's more acceptable. Anyways, a SIA spokesman already had his talk about it so it's pretty much closed, but opinions still do go on. I think SQ Girls smoking in uniform simply ruins the classic SQ Girl image.

Fortunately, I have never seen any SQ Girl smoking with my own eyes.. I will definitely be disturbed for a while seeing the graceful, beautiful girls smoking, but I will also realize that they are also human beings and they have their needs. I would love to have them do that in an area that is AWAY from the public eye (but may still be in uniform). As far as how to eliminate the smoke odor from their kebayas, I may never know, unless one personally knows a member of SIA's cabin crew.

Overall, I believe that SQ Girls should not smoke in uniform in full public view as this will ruin the company's image as well as the way the public see them. I certainly do not want to see a beautiful, graceful, and smiling SQ Girl puffing away..
                          Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

Granted... You non-smokers who doth protest at the sight of an SQ FSS/LSS/CSS/IFS smoking are entitled to your opinion... but...

Comment

Working...
                            X