Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about SQ girls smoking openly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    Chiming in late here... I'm sorry but I don't see what the problem is??

Whilst I personally think smoking is a vile habit (and I do acknowledge others would say the same thing about drinking ), if someone smokes that's their choice that they're well-entitled to make. Cabin crew are human beings too. As long as their smoking has no impact on passenger safety and comfort, then where, when, what or how they smoke is none of my concern. Whether they smoke publicly whilst wearing their uniforms is similarly immaterial.
    hear hear...
    Have you checked your blind spot lately?

Comment

nickbot - CTC is at STC-SIA Training Centre. Its best that u check with the DCC as do know that CC are strongly discouraged from smoking whilst in uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
        SQ stewardess n stewards have been taught during their cabin crew training that they are Not to smoke whilst in Uniform - and periodically they have been reminded not to do so. The SQ girls who smoked whilst waiting for their own transport outside at T2 or T3 or even overseas are therefore touting what they are taught. However in one occassion i have seen a young SQ girl smoking outside T2 arrival hall whilst waiting for her transport and I looked at her n abt to approach her when she sensed it and quickly stubbed out her cigarette. Seems tome that these girls smoked just more soto look "cool" or put on an act - as they look more like blowing smoke n as a smoker before - i know how to see whether one is really smoking n enjoying a cigareete and how one is just puffing away n just blowing smoke.
        nickbot - CTC is at STC-SIA Training Centre. Its best that u check with the DCC as do know that CC are strongly discouraged from smoking whilst in uniform.
        Errmm nickbot's sources are straight from the Horse's mouth.

BTW, so it's NO smoking in Uniform or discouraged from smoking in uniform?
        Last edited by kluau88; 8 August 2010, 09:09 PM.

Comment

It is bad for SQ girls to smoke whilst in uniform, but I guess it's worse to throw smoke with all the wrong acronyms you have here...

*takes out butter and spreads over popcorns...and waits ...*

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
            It is bad for SQ girls to smoke whilst in uniform, but I guess it's worse to throw smoke with all the wrong acronyms you have here...

*takes out butter and spreads over popcorns...and waits ...*
            Yes, can someone please enlighten me? What is CTC and DCC? Or is it a pilot thing, 'cos none of my cabin crew friends have heard of it. The last DCC they know of was Director of Cabin Crew Eddie Jesudason. Since then, that position has been renamed SVPCC.
            Have you checked your blind spot lately?

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Chiming in late here... I'm sorry but I don't see what the problem is??

Whilst I personally think smoking is a vile habit (and I do acknowledge others would say the same thing about drinking ), if someone smokes that's their choice that they're well-entitled to make. Cabin crew are human beings too. As long as their smoking has no impact on passenger safety and comfort, then where, when, what or how they smoke is none of my concern. Whether they smoke publicly whilst wearing their uniforms is similarly immaterial.
              May be perfectly fine from a practical sense but its debatable in terms of image, proved by the number of replies this thread is getting.

But hasn't it always been about image for them? Otherwise why can't they take the bus in their uniform? Its practical, cars are very expensive in Singapore.

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
              I'm tempted to ask your opinion then about pilots who qualify as "C.O.S" so to speak. I have seen SQ pilots who appear larger than usual and they do not inspire much confidence especially in the context of recent aircraft accidents.
              Definitely not good for image but that's quite off-topic here

Comment

I think it is ok for them to smoke out of uniform or out of view of the public. I am mildly put off by the sight of any SQ staff - male or female - smoking in uniform in full view of the public. Whether or not SQ explicitly disallows it is immaterial.

As an employee of a company where image is so important, I would try to protect that image by not doing anything that may adversely affect it. As long as smoking is frown upon by some members of the public, a conscientious staff will avoid it while representing his company.

Can you imaging seeing Donald Duck or Sleeping Beauty smoking around a corner in Disneyland? They are human, but as long as they are in "uniform" they are on the stage.

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
                  It is bad for SQ girls to smoke whilst in uniform
                  So is getting hit by a bus - but your'e highly unlikely to see any crew walking out into the middle of the road to do that

How's that popcorn coming along?

Comment

Does SQ really care to enforce a "no-smoking-while-in-uniform" policy now that the Singapore girl isn't the star of their ads anymore?

But personally, I do think a certain behavior is required of any staff while in uniform. As many have said, they may still be mortals, but they also represent the larger entity while in costume.

Comment

I'm going to ask that we all remain civil, curteous and on-topic here -Not that we've strayed very far off, but I do see the potential in a thread as polarising as this.

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                        May be perfectly fine from a practical sense but its debatable in terms of image, proved by the number of replies this thread is getting.

But hasn't it always been about image for them? Otherwise why can't they take the bus in their uniform? Its practical, cars are very expensive in Singapore.
                        If SQ was a health foods' company, then any 'image' concerns may in some ways be perfectly justified. However, when passenger comfort and safety aren't affected, I fail to see how the sight of crew publicly smoking whilst in uniform would in any way diminish public perception of the airline or its employees. And so long as all appropriate laws and company policies are followed, it frankly isn't anyone's business.
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 9 August 2010, 02:04 PM.
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

in case you guys arent aware, this has been taken up in the media (well, our local version of tabloid), and SQ has spoken its official line, which in my basic understanding of English, is as good as saying nothing:

When contacted, an SIA spokesman said: "Singapore Airlines has high expectations of the conduct of our cabin crew while in uniform, and we are conscious that it shapes public perception of the airline's image and standards.

Crew are reminded to be well-groomed and to be on their best behaviour when in uniform.

"Where smoking is concerned, we actively promote a healthy lifestyle to our crew, and while there is no outright prohibition on smoking, we do have internal regulations which crew are required to abide by, and in accordance with laws governing non-smoking zones."

http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/news/4...ar_image_.html

Comment

Thank you for the link and quote jammed

Comment

Does that mean cabin crew can't smoke in uniform?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                                Does that mean cabin crew can't smoke in uniform?
                                I refer to jammed's quote above (emphasis mine):

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                                ..."Where smoking is concerned, we actively promote a healthy lifestyle to our crew, and while there is no outright prohibition on smoking, we do have internal regulations which crew are required to abide by, and in accordance with laws governing non-smoking zones."

Comment

Working...
                                X