Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about SQ girls smoking openly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
    Hahahah funniest thing I've heard today! Sorry zvezda but if you think LH crew don't "openly" smoke in uniform before a flight you are sorely mistaken!
    With as many employees as LH and SQ have, I'm sure there are some bad apples. I haven't seen it in either case.

Comment

I think SQ do not have a policy on the crew smoking in public. That's what I last heard from some one working. They just remind them to avoid doing that. In my opinion, I think the branding and smoking SQ girl dont go together. But if SQ thinks it's ok, then they have to bear any negative consequences..

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
        With as many employees as LH and SQ have, I'm sure there are some bad apples. I haven't seen it in either case.
        I would hardly label them "bad apples"

But it seems IMO frivilous to deliver your business to a rival airline whose stewards/esses partake in the same behaviour, but I'm not here to dictate how or who you give your business to...

Comment

If they are wearing the kebaya uniform while smoking, then I guess it's not a very good for image reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
            I don't think smoking is a good image for any uniformed employee in public, so that at the very least the same rules should apply to all cabin staff. Also, it's not setting a good example for children, given that many young girls dream of becoming Singapore girls when they grow up.

My sentiments exact. And carrying on from your latter point there, although they are a private company, their uniform is one of the most recognisable Singaporean icons, they really need to pay attention to what they do in uniform. I know how that feels- when I did my NS in the Police force, despite the long hours we can't smoke or even eat openly in uniform.

Comment

Whilst I'm personally not keen on smoking and would actually like to see it banned in public places, I also see that personal choice (within the law of course) prevails - I would generally just choose not to hang around with those who were smoking unless they were close friends.

I can see why people would be shocked to see SQ FAs of either sex smoking, as above all other airlines the "SQ Girl" is held in such high regard by the public, but they are all people at the end of the day. I'm sure that SQ management encourages the crew to be discreet when smoking in uniform, but having said that...where is discreet in Changi?

As an aside, I would imagine members of the Police force (amongst other unifomed professions) would get breaks during their working shift in order to sneak off somewhere discreet to smoke, whilst SQ FAs, often on 14 hour+ shifts, are unable to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                SQ stewardess n stewards have been taught during their cabin crew training that they are Not to smoke whilst in Uniform - and periodically they have been reminded not to do so. The SQ girls who smoked whilst waiting for their own transport outside at T2 or T3 or even overseas are therefore touting what they are taught.
                May I question your source? I ask as I know this not to be the case.

Comment

deleted
                  Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:42 PM.

Comment

deleted

Comment

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
                      what specific details do you know then.
                      I believe it's apparent from the second paragraph of my post

Comment

u can ask any of the instructors at CTC

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                          u can ask any of the instructors at CTC
                          I assume you mean the STC-SIA Training Centre? Be my guest, but you will be proved wrong.

Comment

Oooooh this thread is about to get good! I hope the HUGE one hasn't relegated it to the 'ignore' bin just yet

Comment

deleted

Comment

Chiming in late here... I'm sorry but I don't see what the problem is??

Whilst I personally think smoking is a vile habit (and I do acknowledge others would say the same thing about drinking ), if someone smokes that's their choice that they're well-entitled to make. Cabin crew are human beings too. As long as their smoking has no impact on passenger safety and comfort, then where, when, what or how they smoke is none of my concern. Whether they smoke publicly whilst wearing their uniforms is similarly immaterial.
                                Last edited by KeithMEL; 8 August 2010, 07:11 AM.
                                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                                X