X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volcanic Ash in Europe : cancellations and rebookings on SQ

SQ351 & SQ317 on 15 April - Departures Retimed

15 April 2010

Two Singapore Airlines flights - departing Copenhagen and London Heathrow - have been retimed, due to operational requirements resulting from a volcanic ash cloud covering much of Northern Europe after a volcanic eruption in Iceland.

SQ351, originally scheduled to depart Copenhagen at 1120hrs on 15 April, has been rescheduled to an earlier departure time of 1050hrs.

SQ317, originally scheduled to depart London Heathrow at 1155hrs on 15 April, has been retimed earlier to depart at 1100hrs.

No other flights departing from Northern Europe are affected at this point. Given the fluid situation, customers are advised to visit www.singaporeair.com for updates. Customers are also advised to check in early for these two flights.

Singapore Airlines apologises for the inconvenience caused.

Volcanic ash halts all London flights from 1100 GMT; Oslo airport closes

Volcanic ash halts all London flights from 1100 GMT; Oslo airport closes

Posted: 15 April 2010

LONDON: All London flights, including those from Heathrow, will be suspended from noon (1100 GMT) Thursday due to volcanic ash from Iceland that has already caused almost 300 cancellations here, officials said.

"All flights in and out of Heathrow and Stansted will be suspended from midday but the terminals will remain open," a spokeswoman for airports operator BAA told AFP.

"Gatwick airport is subject to a London-wide suspension of all flights arriving and departing from midday," a spokesman for Gatwick said.

The suspension was introduced because volcanic ash can damage aircraft engines.

The ash also halted flights in Norway and northern Sweden on Thursday, aviation officials there said.

All air traffic at Oslo airport, Norway's biggest, was suspended at 10:00am (0800 GMT) Thursday, its operators said in a statement.

"All air traffic to and from Oslo Airport is cancelled ... This is due to the closure of (Norwegian) airspace due to ash from the Iceland volcano eruption," the airport said in a statement.

"All passengers should contact their airline for more information."

All air traffic in Norway was thus grounded after Norway's airport network operator earlier closed airspace in the rest of the country due to the risk that volcanic ash could cloud visibility.

Flights in Northern Sweden, as well as all British Airways domestic flights, were cancelled because of the risks posed by volcanic ash, which can also damage aircraft engines.

Iceland's second volcano eruption in less than a month began under the Eyjafjallajokull glacier in the south of the country at around 1:00am (GMT) on Wednesday.

Between 700 and 800 people were evacuated from their homes in the remote, lightly populated area 125 kilometres (75 miles) east of Reykjavik, as melted glacier water caused massive flooding.

Last month, the first volcano eruption at the Eyjafjallajokull glacier since 1823 - and Iceland's first since 2004 - briefly forced 600 people from their homes in the same area.

- CNA/yb/al

Comment

Entire Norwegian air space has been closed from 10am (LT - 0800hrs GMT) today. Strange considering the sun is shinning today and the skies are all clear right now in KRS.
      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

European flight disruptions

15 April 2010

Due to volcanic activity in Iceland and ash cloud moving over Northern Europe and the United Kingdom, several Singapore Airlines flights to and from Europe will be affected.

Flight SQ322, Singapore-London, scheduled to depart at 2330hrs (Singapore time), has been cancelled. Customers are advised not to proceed to the airport. Customers who have registered their mobile telephone numbers with us will be notified by SMS text message of alternative flight arrangements.

Singapore Airlines will provide updates on other affected European flights as soon as information is available. Europe-bound customers are advised to visit www.singaporeair.com regularly for updates or call +65 62238888.
        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

SQ308 today has been diverted to Paris.

Comment

All flight departing tonight 15 April 2010, to London, Paris, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Moscow has been cancelled. SQ 318 (A380) has make a U-turn back to Singapore. 9V-SKJ has just landed safely.

Comment

European Flight Disruptions

European Flight Disruptions

16 April 2010

Singapore Airlines is advising customers with bookings for travel to and from Europe to check the status of their flights before proceeding to the airport as a result of disruptions caused by volcanic activity in Iceland and ash cloud moving over Northern Europe and the UK.

The following flights have been cancelled today:

SQ308, Singapore-London, scheduled to depart at 0905hrs (Singapore time)

SQ318, Singapore-London, scheduled to depart at 1245hrs (Singapore time)

SQ317, London-Singapore, scheduled to depart at 1155hrs (London time)

SQ328, Munich-Manchester, scheduled to depart at 0635hrs (Munich time)

SQ327, Manchester-Munich, scheduled to depart at 0920hrs (Manchester time)

SQ323, Amsterdam-Singapore, scheduled to depart at 1130hrs (Amsterdam time)

SQ333, Paris-Singapore, scheduled to depart at 1215hrs (Paris time)

Customers booked on affected flights are advised not to proceed to the airport. Customers who have registered their mobile telephone numbers with us will be notified by SMS text message of alternative flight arrangements.

The situation remains fluid and updates will be provided on other European flights that may be affected as soon as information is available. Customers are advised to visit www.singaporeair.com regularly for updates or call +65 62238888 or +65 67898188.

Singapore Airlines will waive cancellation and change fees for confirmed tickets to and from Europe. The waiver is valid for tickets issued up to and including 15 April 2010, for travel up to and including 22 April 2010. The same conditions apply for KrisFlyer redemption tickets

Comment

This is bad. My other half is stuck in SFO unable to return to London. And we have another flight (LHR to SIN) booked for next Friday too. Sigh....

Comment

More cancellations.

Last I heard, Milan, Zurich, Munich now closed.
                  Lucky me, managed to get out of MUC yesterday afternoon(local time) on SQ327 to SIN(arrived 7.30a.m SG Time today)...

Comment

My Barcelona > Singapore flight (SQ377) was cancelled today (17/04/10) and rescheduled for tomorrow with an earlier departure, the good news is it will now be direct (if only a permanent schedule)!

Changi arrivals are now showing two arrivals for SQ377 on the 19/04/10, my retimed direct flight at 04:05 (designated as SQ377D) and a second flight, I assume for the 18/04/10 SQ377 arrival at 07:20.

The strange thing is Changi departures for the 17/04/10 shows the departure of the inbound SQ378 as cancelled, if correct not sure where the second aircraft to service SQ377 on the 18/04/10 is coming from?

See copy of updated new release below.

EUROPE FLIGHT DISRUPTIONS
                    17 April 2010

Additionally, SQ377, Barcelona-Milan-Singapore, which was scheduled to depart Barcelona at 1025hrs (Barcelona time) on 17 April, will now depart at 0950hrs (Barcelona time) on 18 April, operating directly to Singapore (i.e. without stopping in Milan).

Comment

Milan Airport will be closed until Sunday evening...

Comment

At this moment, all flights to/fro Europe except to Athens and BCN have been cancelled.... and I am stuck in FRA.

I heard car rentals and train bookings are all taken up. Nobody gets anywhere easily. At least I have my rented Audi A5 to play around.

Looks like the volcano is refusing to simmer down and the weather holds the ashes over much of Europe and with no wind to dissipate it, it may be awhile before I get to fly home. sob sob...

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
                          At this moment, all flights to/fro Europe except to Athens and BCN have been cancelled.... and I am stuck in FRA.

I heard car rentals and train bookings are all taken up. Nobody gets anywhere easily. At least I have my rented Audi A5 to play around.

Looks like the volcano is refusing to simmer down and the weather holds the ashes over much of Europe and with no wind to dissipate it, it may be awhile before I get to fly home. sob sob...
                          Even Rome has its flights cancelled?
                          Barcelona is open now?

Maybe you could take the train to Munich where if I recall correctly there is a night train to Budapest. Change another night train, and you will be in Bucharest. I don't think Bucharest is affected yet, and maybe you could take a flight to IST or ATH. Take a SQ flight back

Maybe SQ should increase flights to IST and let pax connect on TK to any European airport they serve which is still open me thinks...

Comment

Some interesting diversions.

SQ 0061 from Houston-Moscow-Singapore has been diverted to operate Houston-Seoul Incheon-Singapore

and SQ 0025 from New York JFK-Frankfurt-Singapore has been diverted to operate New York JFK-Tokyo Narita-Singapore

These flights should arrive tomorrow.

Comment

SIA losing $3.7 mil a day.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_516378.html

What a bad start to the financial year !

Comment

Working...
                              X