No announcement yet.

SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any info if 9v-swi or 9v-swj are being withdrawn from sq fleet?

In view of the fact that an additional 77W 9V-SWM is now in Star Alliance livery.
    https://www.facebook.com/FLAPV1/
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=11491

Comment

• Originally posted by fablee View Post
      Does anyone have any info if 9v-swi or 9v-swj are being withdrawn from sq fleet?

In view of the fact that an additional 77W 9V-SWM is now in Star Alliance livery.
      SWI and SWJ aren't going anywhere. I'm not surprised SQ has added a new *A livery because over the past 5 years or so they've had a few leave the fleet and no new ones added. Possibly they had this "brought to their attention" but I don't know anything about how the arrangement works, only that their numbers in the fleet kept dropping.

If anything though, I find it a bit unusual they bothered to repaint an existing plane instead of organising for a couple of new ones to get the treatment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Not You View Post
        9V-SWM landed at Changi as SQ8877 from Rayong (UTP) in her new Star Alliance Livery
        Scheduled to operate SQ800|26APR (SIN-PEK) later.
        Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Could it be SYL is about to leave? (just my uninformed guess) It was one of the birds meant to get the 2006Y mini-refurb like SYH, SYI and SYJ but never did.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
            SWI and SWJ aren't going anywhere. I'm not surprised SQ has added a new *A livery because over the past 5 years or so they've had a few leave the fleet and no new ones added. Possibly they had this "brought to their attention" but I don't know anything about how the arrangement works, only that their numbers in the fleet kept dropping.

If anything though, I find it a bit unusual they bothered to repaint an existing plane instead of organising for a couple of new ones to get the treatment.
            Wow!! I never thought we'd have a third 77W be painted in Star Alliance Livery. Stumbled upon the photos and realize SWM is the triplet of SWI and SWJ wearing this plus STU, the A330 and SYL, the 773. I was hoping it would have been SWK which does precede SWJ wearing the livery. It is more like SWI and SWJ brcause it likely has the new Wifi dome on top like some 77W.

SYL is still flying but don't forget SYF. That doesn't have the 2006 Y-class seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
              They're already showing up on some regional routes like MNL and CGK.

I believe they're to be rostered to BKK, HKG, and PVG in the coming months, and I've also noticed to SGN (SQ184/183) later in the year. Seems like SQ might keep them to just do regional flying to plug the gaps?
              SQ184/183 to SGN is only 772ER until 26 Oct, the end of the Summer schedule. Past that it will revert back to A330.

Current schedules show that the 772ER will only serve 1 daily BKK (SQ972/975) and 4x weekly IST (SQ392/391) this Winter. Even then the BKK flight will revert back to A330 on 1 March 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by a340-313x View Post
                Could it be SYL is about to leave? (just my uninformed guess) It was one of the birds meant to get the 2006Y mini-refurb like SYH, SYI and SYJ but never did.
                I doubt any of the current 773s are leaving soon... they will be rostered on 6 daily CGK, 3 daily MNL and 1 daily PVG flights this Winter, along with less-than-daily rotations to BOM and BWN.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ957 View Post
                  I doubt any of the current 773s are leaving soon... they will be rostered on 6 daily CGK, 3 daily MNL and 1 daily PVG flights this Winter, along with less-than-daily rotations to BOM and BWN.
                  Then it's possible that one of them could get a refresh of cabin products.

Comment

• For SYF and SYH, doubt they will be given any cabin refresh as they are above 17 years old and likely fly for another 2 years. For the others maybe possible get a newer possibly a "hand-me-down" cabin refresh as they are just below 15 years old.
                    Last edited by flyguy; 26 April 2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ957 View Post
                      I think it's 2 X MNL daily while 916/921 flight pair gets the 77E. Currently it's the other way around where 912/919 gets the 77E and 916/921 gets the 773.

Perhaps the 77E fleet will live out its last days like what 9V-SVF did, doing a daily MNL return trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post

I found it unusual and unexpected that SWM got the Star Alliance livery, too but which planes were you anticipating to get that treatment? The A350's or 787's?

Besides the recent A330 they have repainted in Star Alliance Livery (9V-STU), they've only painted a portion of their Boeing planes in Star Alliance Livery.

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                          I think it's 2 X MNL daily while 916/921 flight pair gets the 77E. Currently it's the other way around where 912/919 gets the 77E and 916/921 gets the 773.

Perhaps the 77E fleet will live out its last days like what 9V-SVF did, doing a daily MNL return trip.
                          Oops sorry my bad. That means one extra 77E flight and one less 773 flight for the winter. Does that also mean an age record for SQ with SVB, turning 19 next year?
                          Last edited by SQ957; 27 April 2019, 01:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                            I found it unusual
                            I don't see why. They have other 777-300(ER) in the same livery. It makes sense to use the same model so they don't have to draw up designs for it to fit on another aircraft.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                              I found it unusual and unexpected that SWM got the Star Alliance livery, too but which planes were you anticipating to get that treatment? The A350's or 787's?

Besides the recent A330 they have repainted in Star Alliance Livery (9V-STU), they've only painted a portion of their Boeing planes in Star Alliance Livery.
                              SQ used to have a number of other 777s in Star Alliance livery that were never replaced when they left the fleet so the overall percentage of the fleet with that livery has steadily declined. Given the major order of A350s still to come, I was simply wondering if they might have given a few of them the livery as the same templates and designs could be reused, much in the way they did so over a number of 777s when they were a major influx.

There is simply no logic to SWK getting it instead of SWL. If SWL was having other maintenance done it may have just been convenient. The letter sequences to which Star Alliance livery is applied to has zero effect on fleet operations. Nobody running the airline would care. When they assign an aircraft to a flight it's based on seating and operational concerns, not aesthetics or your personal fixations regarding such things.

Comment

• its likely that SWK went ahead of SWL into some heavy maintenance and at the same time its time for a repaint and hence was painted in Star Alliance as its simpler than repainting in SQ colors, and easier to repaint it as a "white tail" when the plane is able to be leased out/retired. SWI, SWJ and SWM are already in Star Alliance colors.

Comment

Working...
                                X