Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Type of Seats in the Refurbished 773s (77A / 73A)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
    Caveat: Assuming they're installing the 77W F seat

The seat design requires the footrest portion to be exactly in the position it's in.

To eliminate the sleep angle, you need pitch (which they seem to have oodles of), and then you either they get a higher seatback which covers the new wider gap when folded down, or lengthen the footrest, again, to cover the gap.

PD isn't cheap. It's going to cost money to redevelop (I can think of additional support near the knee area required) - It's almost a totally new seat in that regard.

It's also going to be cheaper to keep spare parts for one type of seat than keeping spare parts for 2. Commonality is the name of the game for them at least in this instance.

SQ should have realized that the current 77W F product is not top notch and the shorter seat-pitch is unique in the industry. I haven't found any fans of this concept of less space for F.

If they miss the chance to fix the problem now by bringing back a "true" F seat pitch, the whole new F experience will be sub-optimal for the next ten years or so...

Comment

• Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
      If they miss the chance to fix the problem now by bringing back a "true" F seat pitch, the whole new F experience will be sub-optimal for the next ten years or so...
      That may be true. Though they may be counting on just being better than the competition on the routes they fly, coupled with SQ service, as being good enough for most F flyers. What would the alternatives be?

It's difficult to justify new product investment and development during times of staff pay reductions and layoffs.

So the question should be - are the 777 refurbs competitive with other airlines on the routes they travel?

Comment

• Bearing in mind that the 773s are used for (longer) regional routes, IMO the new F is perfectly competitive. It won't win against all competitors on every route, but it is good enough.
        to SQ for continuing to invest in product innovations, and upgrading fleets for pax comfort during this very difficult time in their business.
        I would definitely fly more SQ because of this fact.

Comment

• Sounds pretty good to me! Wont experience it myself until next year

Comment

• not quite sqdazz.I know this might be a little out of the way but try and get an award SIN TO ADL on SQ269 using the New A330 If you must have the latest Business Class and pay your own way ADL TO MEL on Virgin Blue

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              PD isn't cheap. It's going to cost money to redevelop (I can think of additional support near the knee area required) - It's almost a totally new seat in that regard.

It's also going to be cheaper to keep spare parts for one type of seat than keeping spare parts for 2. Commonality is the name of the game for them at least in this instance.
              A stupid idea come to my mind. If there is sufficient space, can they use the same Row 2 Back and Row 1 Front for all seats rather than using the curve partition that is sharing between Row 2 front and Row 1 back in 77W?

77W:
              |[===] [===]| A

|[===] [===]| C
              |[===] [===]| D

|[===] [===]| F

Key:
              Back part of Row 2 : |[
              Front part of Row 1 : ]|
              2 in 1 Partition between Row 1 and Row 2 : ] [

My idea:
              |[===]|[===]| A

|[===]|[===]| C
              |[===]|[===]| D

|[===]|[===]| F

Therefore they can still keep the same parts of 77W but giving a longer pitch.

PS: Although I believe SQ will use the same seats in 77W with its 773A, but I think it should be a little bit amended as there is not any toilet between the Door 1 and Row 1, then Row 1 would be have a more "curve" wall in 773A than 77W.

Comment

• Originally posted by sutrakhk View Post
                A stupid idea come to my mind. If there is sufficient space, can they use the same Row 2 Back and Row 1 Front for all seats rather than using the curve partition that is sharing between Row 2 front and Row 1 back in 77W?

77W:
                |[===] [===]| A

|[===] [===]| C
                |[===] [===]| D

|[===] [===]| F

Key:
                Back part of Row 2 : |[
                Front part of Row 1 : ]|
                2 in 1 Partition between Row 1 and Row 2 : ] [

My idea:
                |[===]|[===]| A

|[===]|[===]| C
                |[===]|[===]| D

|[===]|[===]| F

Therefore they can still keep the same parts of 77W but giving a longer pitch.

PS: Although I believe SQ will use the same seats in 77W with its 773A, but I think it should be a little bit amended as there is not any toilet between the Door 1 and Row 1, then Row 1 would be have a more "curve" wall in 773A than 77W.
                Very good post. The parts are indeed all there - they just have to put them together differently. 77A has more than sufficient space to bring back "true" F seat pitch. All 77W on order could also get the changed config - would definitely make a bigger difference to J.

Comment

• Looking at the new layout, will SIA be selling more of the emergency row extra leg room seats? The last time I tried to get they had only 4 seats per flight on the current layout for 773. Any guesses any one?
                  there's nothing more rewarding than flying for free, is there??

Comment

• Originally posted by Global Nomad View Post
                    Looking at the new layout, will SIA be selling more of the emergency row extra leg room seats? The last time I tried to get they had only 4 seats per flight on the current layout for 773. Any guesses any one?
                    According to the seat plan, I think the answer is no.

The only row is Row 31.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQADL333 View Post
                      not quite sqdazz.I know this might be a little out of the way but try and get an award SIN TO ADL on SQ269 using the New A330 If you must have the latest Business Class and pay your own way ADL TO MEL on Virgin Blue

The inconvenience involved is huge!
                      Separate tickets- what if incoming flight is delayed? - luggage allowance? to have to retrieve baggage then check in again, etc....

Comment

• Originally posted by hsf View Post
                        The inconvenience involved is huge!
                        Separate tickets- what if incoming flight is delayed? - luggage allowance? to have to retrieve baggage then check in again, etc....
                        Yes, it is barely viable. Adds hours onto travel time, risk missing connections, no star alliance gold benefits flying virgin blue/qantas. It is not an option unless I wanted to be in Adelaide or other alternative city at the same time.
                        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• First of the reconfigured 773s is SYF.

Comment

• I did the SIN-ADL connect to DJ thingy a couple of years ago, it was one of the most pleasant experiences I've ever had on separate tickets.

10 minutes from 9V-SRB to Kerbside first drag of ciggy. Luggage first off. Very short walk to domestic terminal. Definitely my favourite entry point into Australia

Comment

• Short walk at ADL? I'm guessing it was a few years ago. For the past couple of years it is all one multi-purpose terminal (like OOL the gates for international can be partitioned off from domestic when needed).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                                Short walk at ADL? I'm guessing it was a few years ago. For the past couple of years it is all one multi-purpose terminal (like OOL the gates for international can be partitioned off from domestic when needed).
                                Yeah that's what i meant - short walk = same building

Comment

Working...
                                X