Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singapore Airlines in South America. WHY NOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQalMundo View Post
    And I totally agree with you! But why via JNB? I think Nairobi or Sydney would make good stopovers. Since TAM is about to be a Star Alliance member, passengers can hop onto TAM via codeshare service and fly to any pary of Latin America. Oh yes, Air China stopped flights to Sao Paulo in Oct 08. What happened?
    I don't think there would be as much demand for GRU/GIG/EZE to NBO as there would be for JNB which makes for a more logical hub for the African continent if you're coming from/going to South America.

SYD would make for a nice stop for a Southern Pacific route to South America, does anyone know if QF still flies to EZE? I like the idea of doing an Indian ocean/trans southern Atlantic route to South America from Singapore though (plus I can do my South African music shopping at the JNB record store)

I dunno what happened to CA's GRU flights. There were stories how the load factor was so good they changed the aircraft from 767 to 332. But the flights stopped just after the Olympics.
    Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      They should have churrasco all classes. Picanha cooked onboard - just like a churrascaria
      Totally. Maybe First and Raffles get their picanha served tableside, and Economy can get mini churrasco mixto served with fried batata baroa, yum!

And not to forget, caipirinhas and caipiroschkas with either lime or pineapple (in the red cans from Singapore).

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
        And not to forget, caipirinhas and caipiroschkas with either lime or pineapple (in the red cans from Singapore).
        Wer're not flying to Moscow, are we?
        Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by flo View Post
          Wer're not flying to Moscow, are we?
          Not unless SIA is leasing IL-96-300s as well. Joking

Ah, I can almost see the posters. The Singapore Girl on the beach in Buzios, Rio de Janeiro (which is where I had my last authentic pineapple caipiroschka)

Comment

SYD would make for a nice stop for a Southern Pacific route to South America, does anyone know if QF still flies to EZE? I like the idea of doing an Indian ocean/trans southern Atlantic route to South America from Singapore though (plus I can do my South African music shopping at the JNB record store)

I dunno what happened to CA's GRU flights. There were stories how the load factor was so good they changed the aircraft from 767 to 332. But the flights stopped just after the Olympics.
            QF just restarted SYD-EZE last month (refer my trip report).

AFAIK CA has, or is about to, resume PEK-MAD-GRU flights.
            Last edited by Kiwi; 8 February 2009, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanandika View Post
              Doesn't MAS do it for prestige reason? Do they even make money at all out of this route?
              Actually under Mr. Idris Jala, all unprofitable routes have been dropped. MAS actually plans to increase frequency to Buenos Aires, thanks to a healthy flow of profit

Comment

Originally posted by s7r0ng3r View Post
                Actually under Mr. Idris Jala, all unprofitable routes have been dropped. MAS actually plans to increase frequency to Buenos Aires, thanks to a healthy flow of profit

Thanks - I needed a good laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                  Thanks - I needed a good laugh.
                  Glad to be of help

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                    AFAIK CA has, or is about to, resume PEK-MAD-GRU flights.
                    So there is another Asian *A carrier using Spain as a jump-off point to South America

And now for SIA, o sonho vira realidade, the dream becomes a reality

Comment

I wonder why everyone is flying from Spain???

Spain and Brazil aren't even speaking the same language!

Now, Portugal - Brazil might be better..!

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                        I wonder why everyone is flying from Spain???

Spain and Brazil aren't even speaking the same language!

Now, Portugal - Brazil might be better..!
                        Spain and the cities of Barcelona and Madrid are considered chic European destinations for Brasilians and the feelings of adoration are mutual. There is considerable business and tourist traffic between Barcelona/Madrid and Brasil. Between the two peoples, there is a sense of a shared Latin culture, but with enough variations for spice

Portugal and Brasil share the same Lusophone heritage, but keep in mind that Brasilian Portuguese has different pronunciation and idioms in comparison to the Portuguese language as spoken in Portugal (no matter how much the Portuguese complain about the Brasilianisation of their language )

Btw, Spanish-speakers (whether from Spain, Mexico, or Uruguay) and Brasilians have a lingua franca: portunhol

I, for one, am excited to see if SQ will be doing inflight announcements in Brasilian Portuguese (as superbly done on board EK )

Comment

O sonho virou realidade, the dream becomes reality

Ah, I can almost see the posters. The Singapore Girl on the beach in Buzios, Rio de Janeiro (which is where I had my last authentic pineapple caipiroschka)
                          Coucou!

Well, not quite the posters I had imagined, but quite effective nonetheless--the posters depicting the Singapore Girls reveling amongst samba dancers loom quite large, even at the BCN departure terminal

This thread was what made me sign up to SQTalk three years ago and now my dream of SIA flying to South America has become reality. Btw, I had the best SQ crew this year in F on the BCN-GRU sector of SQ 68 last week--the best IFS, the most professional CS, and the most vibrant LSS this year, easily making my list of the Top 5 green kebaya-clad Singapore Girls this year

I am in the AMEX Lounge at GRU, having arrived on a G3 flight from GIG an hour ago. It is quite busy here at the smallish lounge, where lounge attendants in grey housekeeping uniforms refill the brigadeiros on the dessert platter and regularly wipe the counter tops.

I decided to fly in earlier on the second last flight of the day as opposed to the very last one. Figured I couldn´t chance any delays or missed baggage. A very different routine to my usual ex-GRU departures on EK where J and F passengers get complimentary limousine rides, but it´s ok

The AMEX lounge is open till 23:00 which is when I´ll saunter over to check in for SQ 67. GRU is pretty busy at this time of the evening. There´s an IB flight to MAD, both KL and AF flights, and a slew of flights to the States including UA and DL, plus I walked past the TK check-in counters which were already open in T1.

Tao ta, gente. Ate´logo

Comment

Working...
                          X