2009 SQ Aircraft deliveries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
    .....I think it's more likely SQ would ground the A340-500s before trying that again. A more likely two-class configuration would be to add some First Class seats from the 777-300ER.
    New F/C only for A345? I doubt that will be profitable either.

I suspect the days of ULH A345 service are numbered, unless there is drastic improvement in yield in the next few months. From NYC, SQ used to charge a premium for SQ21/22 vs SQ25/26; now you get a discount if you take SQ21/22 Mon-Thu outbound (inbound could be any day of the week). You pay more to fly in the antique 744 with FRA stop than A345 nonstop to SIN. This anomaly is not sustainable. Cargo volume is pathetic as well. Heck, SQ may even suspend SIN-LAX and reinstitute SIN-TPE-LAX with spare 77Ws from CDG flights. Wishful thinking, I know!
    Last edited by TerryK; 20 January 2009, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
      New F/C only for A345? I doubt that will be profitable either.
      I am not expecting the addition of F class to the A340-500s, but it is a lot more likely than any return to Premium Economy.

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
      I suspect the days of ULH A345 service are numbered, unless there is drastic improvement in yield in the next few months.
      Don't forget that Airbus give SQ substantial concessions on parts, MX, etc. to keep the A340-500s in ULH service for the prestige it affords Airbus.

Comment

SQ put Premium Economy on the 345s because of the MTOW limitations to fly non-stop to NY. Now that the new C class seats take up more space, they could actually put in Y instead of PremiumY, so they probably do:

80C 60Y (8 rows but last 4 rows only 7 abreast instead of 8) = 140
        72C 84Y = 156
        64C 104Y = 168

Comment

72C 84Y certainly sounds like a good balance of both worlds, should the option of reverting back to a two-class config.

And the new Economy Class product isn't all that bad either, and workable for ULH flights for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by kras View Post
            And the new Economy Class product isn't all that bad either, and workable for ULH flights for sure!
            Not sure about spending 18-20 hours on a Y seat. I suppose if they did it at 34 inch pitch, it may be OK, but remember Y seats of the A300/330/340/747 is a bit narrow unlike the B777s (EK puts 10 abreast on 777s, but CX, MH, SQ are only 9 abreast. TG also put 10 abreast on the 772s, 9 on 773s). The 1 reason why I like B777s for Y class.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
              Not sure about spending 18-20 hours on a Y seat. I suppose if they did it at 34 inch pitch, it may be OK, but remember Y seats of the A300/330/340/747 is a bit narrow unlike the B777s (EK puts 10 abreast on 777s, but CX, MH, SQ are only 9 abreast. TG also put 10 abreast on the 772s, 9 on 773s). The 1 reason why I like B777s for Y class.
              TG do not have 10 abreast in any B777 anymore. It is all 9 abreast. I dont think 8 abreast in an A330 is much different to 9 abreast in a 777. The A330 can be configured 9 abreast (Air Asia X)
              My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                ....will it be a Premium Economy or just a regular Y on those 5 aircrafts?
                It would be a hard 18 hours for passengers in regular Y seats, those seats are'nt very suitable for an Ultra-long haul flight.

Comment

Mate, you're not wrong there. Thinking back, I actually enjoyed flying on a 777 for the SINSYD route before - when SQ231 was still served by a 772.

I did a few Y runs on the whale since their inception, and I am quite okay with the comfort levels of these seats. However, I only had a two-minute stint in a A345 Premium Economy seat when I did a EWRSIN C trip many years ago... and they were certainly much better than the standard EY offering back then!
                  Last edited by kras; 26 January 2009, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                    TG do not have 10 abreast in any B777 anymore. It is all 9 abreast. I dont think 8 abreast in an A330 is much different to 9 abreast in a 777.
                    When the 343s Celestars were still flying I used to complain about the seat width and I really welcomed the B777s. The 777s have a 17.5 inch seat width with 18.5 inch for the middle seat of each threesome. The 343s (and now the 333s) have a 17 inch seat width (like the 744), with no wider middle seat, although the middle seats of the foursome have a double armrest, so it is actually 2-2/2-2.

So I beg to disagree with you.

You are right on the TG 772s, they no longer do 3-4-3 with a 16.5 inch seat width - I remember taking it once and boy was it narrow. EK does it but they do 34 inch pitch to compensate.

Comment

Apart from SWT and STA-STD, I don't think SQ are expecting any more aircraft. Are they?

Comment

Apart from SWT and STA-STD, I don't think SQ are expecting any more aircraft. Are they?
                        Of course they are - at the very least SKG and H too

Comment

STA-STH will all be delivered in 2009.

4 388
                          1 77W
                          8 333

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                            STA-STH will all be delivered in 2009.

4 388
                            1 77W
                            8 333
                            It's currently looking like 9V-SKG will be delivered in April, 9V-SKH in May, 9V-SKI in July, and 9V-SKJ in December. Let's hope that are no more delays.
                            Last edited by zvezda; 29 January 2009, 01:49 AM.

Comment

9V-STA just arrived this morning ,30/01/2009 at around 0500hrs

Comment

the A333s should come in as scheduled for efficiency; whilst at this time, a short delay in A380 deliveries wouldnt hurt SQ as due to the economic crisis and lower loads experienced which likely last at least till last quarter of this year. Even SQ will be downgrading its 744 service to its 77W on its US non-direct routes.

Comment

Working...
                                X