Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_apromise View Post
    not a single chance as a cadet.
    why is that? SQ only allow Singaporean residence into the program?

Comment

Originally posted by singaporeairlinesboi View Post
      why is that? SQ only allow Singaporean residence into the program?
      On their website, it states that "Singapore citizens, Singapore permanent residents, and Malaysian citizens" can apply and it doesn't apply to you.

From time to time, SIA recruited cadet pilots from Hong Kong and India but not anywhere else.

It is a rule of thumb that an airline based in X country will only take X nationals. (The only current exception is Etihad which is now recruiting cadets from all over the world)

Comment

Most countries have restrictions on non nationals you can employ.

Comment

Hi there.... I am an ex cadet here. So I went through the whole process before I got booted out at the ATPL level. So yes I got to fly, but unfortunately my wings got clipped prematurely. I miss it tremendously...

Anyway here are a few tips for you. Asking what kind of questions will they ask is as good as suicide because they will tailor their questioning according to different individuals. However, having the basic knowledge of aircraft identification and being familiar with the SQ fleet is an added bonus because they will DEFINITELY ask you that.

Know the different configurations, the engine types for different aircrfat types etc. Some of my classmates sadly didn't even know how to tell an Airbus and a Boeing apart, and they got through! Needless to say, they got hell from their training captains later in their career. I am sure you won't have a problem with that eh?

If and when you get through, give me a buzz and I can pass you my old notes that apparently was helpful to some of my other coursemates to get through the studies. I still keep them for reading pleasure sometimes.

Cheers
          SQ001

Comment

One more tip... They will ask "Why do you want to become a pilot" and the "It has been my childhood dream..." answer is one that is becoming very tired, repetitive and boring to the interviewers already.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ001 View Post
              One more tip... They will ask "Why do you want to become a pilot" and the "It has been my childhood dream..." answer is one that is becoming very tired, repetitive and boring to the interviewers already.
              But "unfortunately" the most honest answer for many!
              Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by huaiwei View Post
                But "unfortunately" the most honest answer for many!
                Haha ! Yea.. The most boring and truthful answer.. Which is undoubtedly true in most cases !

Anyway, just for the fun of it, SQ001 wad would your answer be ?
                Last edited by sohjonathan; 13 April 2008, 12:23 AM. Reason: The system thought i was typing vulgarities !

Comment

Reminds me of a RAF fighter pilot recruitment advertisement back in the 90s.

Picture of a 4-5y/o child playing with a toy fighter plane with the quote: "It was never quite fun playing a lawyer or an accountant was it?"

Not quite the exact quote; its been way too long; but you get the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by sohjonathan View Post
                    Haha ! Yea.. The most boring and truthful answer.. Which is undoubtedly true in most cases !

Anyway, just for the fun of it, SQ001 wad would ** answer be ?
                    This question was posed to me, "So tell us, SQ001, who do you want to work with SQ as a pilot?"

My reply? "I live and breathe aviation. I can tell the aircraft type from looking at the lights in landing configuration, I can tell the configuration by looking at the registration, I can tell what flight is from where by looking at my watch. And I have been doing this since I was 8 years old."

The reply, "Oh is it? Care to give an example?"

And I went "Ok, let's take the 777-200s to start. 3 different types of configuration..."

So I went on and described the series of 9V-SR*, 9V-SQ* and 9V-SV*. What type of engines, why derated, where do they fly, why is it configured such etc... It took me a while to go through the 777s.

In fact, they stopped me halfway as I was just about to go on to the 747s. Hahahaha...

So my tip is don't enquire what kind of questions they will ask because it is different for each candidate. What irks the interviewers would be rehearsed replies, or worse, don't know the answer but pretend to smoke your way through (just because they have prepared before-hand what answers to give). They can smell a smoke screen from miles away so don't even try. Be brave and say "I am not sure" if you really do not know the answer.

These people who will interview you are hours-hardened management captains so no point trying to bluff your way through. There will be a psychologist on hand to watch your body language as well so he can red-flag a liar (hahahaha... maybe not that drastic). There might (or not) be also a member of the SFC staff on the board too but I have been wondering what the hell is his role??

So in conclusion, having basic a/c recog skills, knowing SQ tech-history and fleet status is a given because that would be your bread and butter. Sometimes they even ask "777 is it a double decked plane?" and do not be surprised people get stumped by THAT! Pffft... If you don't even know that answer, might as well not waste time.

Comment

Sometimes they even ask "777 is it a double decked plane?" and do not be surprised people get stumped by THAT! Pffft... If you don't even know that answer, might as well not waste time.
                      Hah ! Might as well ask : Do you know what positions are we employing ?

Anyway, i'm seriously impressed with the reply that you gave.. Guess its time for me to brush up on all the technical aspects of the jets before i ATTEMPT to get into the interview stage..

Still got quite a number of years to go before i plan to apply for a job at SQ.. Hopefully, by the time i apply, i can be fully prepared !

Anyway, is SQ very strict during its preliminary/1st round selection ? (CV, physical aspect of applicant) ?

Comment

Originally posted by sohjonathan View Post
                        Anyway, is SQ very strict during its preliminary/1st round selection ? (CV, physical aspect of applicant) ?
                        My dear, SQ is very strict in EVERYTHING. Sometimes it felt as if I never left the military. Especially in SFC, it can feel a bit like BMT with the routines they have. If you do not greet a senior, if you have a cocky attitude, if you are a smart mouth etc, you can be sure of getting whacked during your initiation (there's more than one of them).

SQ didn't get to where they are today by being a slacker. But it is a whole new different world inside and very hard for me to describe how does it feel like working for one of the strictest employers you will ever come across.

At the end of the day, I took the lessons I learnt in there to apply it to my daily life. Some use came out of my time with SQ and I am proud of it. In fact, having them in your resume does open doors for you outside. I am a testament to that.

Comment

My dear, SQ is very strict in EVERYTHING. Sometimes it felt as if I never left the military. Especially in SFC, it can feel a bit like BMT with the routines they have. If you do not greet a senior, if you have a cocky attitude, if you are a smart mouth etc, you can be sure of getting whacked during your initiation (there's more than one of them).

SQ didn't get to where they are today by being a slacker. But it is a whole new different world inside and very hard for me to describe how does it feel like working for one of the strictest employers you will ever come across.

At the end of the day, I took the lessons I learnt in there to apply it to my daily life. Some use came out of my time with SQ and I am proud of it. In fact, having them in your resume does open doors for you outside. I am a testament to that.
                          Hi,

Thanks for posting. Your information is useful. I have got some my ideals from your points of view.

We also find them more same at: Pilot interview questions

Tks again and pls keep posting.
                          Last edited by hdblue; 28 April 2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X