X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zvezda
    replied
    Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
    Is it possible SQ will get some of their A380's earlier than expected with the recent news, both Thai and BA have delayed their A380 orders?
    That would depend on how much Airbus were willing to pay SQ to take them early.

Leave a comment:

• SQ238
    replied
    Is it possible SQ will get some of their A380's earlier than expected with the recent news, both Thai and BA have delayed their A380 orders?

SQ238.

Leave a comment:

• zvezda
    replied
    I'm also skeptical about the assertion that SQ have not yet decided the next WhaleJet destination. They now have eight WhaleJets and operate routes requiring seven available. 9V-SKI will be delivered this month and 9V-SKJ should be delivered next month. It would be very odd if SQ have not yet decided what to do with them, though it's conceivable that SQ may have two alternative plans and they are waiting as long as possible to see where the markets are going before choosing.

Given recent loads, it would be surprising if SQ were to decide to fit more Business Class seats though, again, that option is known to have been under consideration. I suppose it depends primarily on SQ's expectations about the future.

Leave a comment:

• Nick C
    replied
    Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
    I just heard from SQ yesterday that from the delivery of the 11th A380 aircraft onwards, the entire upper deck will be fitted with J class, meaning, no more 88 Y class seats on upper deck.

The reason is the J class is very popular, with regards to the next new destination after Hong Kong, it is still unknown at the moment. Just heard that US airports are still not ready for A380, so we can rule out LAX, JFK & SFO for the moment.
    If these 2 snippets came from your source. I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Leave a comment:

• zvezda
    replied
    I just heard from SQ yesterday that from the delivery of the 11th A380 aircraft onwards, the entire upper deck will be fitted with J class, meaning, no more 88 Y class seats on upper deck.
    I can confirm that this had been under consideration. I don't know what was decided.

The reason is the J class is very popular, with regards to the next new destination after Hong Kong, it is still unknown at the moment. Just heard that US airports are still not ready for A380, so we can rule out LAX, JFK & SFO for the moment.
    This is definitely not true. I have seen WhaleJets in operational service at LAX (QF) and JFK (EK). SFO is also WhaleJet-ready.

Leave a comment:

• kelvgoh
    replied

weren't EK flying their A380 to JFK? How can it not be ready?

Leave a comment:

• Chesty
    replied

Thats interesting in light of the current climate. Just wish they would name the next A380 route...

Leave a comment:

• feb01mel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• maxmin
    replied
    OK, alright...... sigh

Leave a comment:

• zvezda
    replied
    Originally posted by maxmin View Post
    That's the end of any chance for the SQ11 getting a 380 in the foreseeable future, then.....
    It's still just a rumour. Let's wait for the announcement.

Leave a comment:

• maxmin
    replied
    That's the end of any chance for the SQ11 getting a 380 in the foreseeable future, then.....

Leave a comment:

• f4freeJunior
    replied
    Originally posted by TerryK View Post
    Is ZRH even ready for A388?
    according to the articles you've cited: yes .

Leave a comment:

• HUGE AL
    replied
    I'm hoping the ZRH route remains with the current aircraft as my ATW itinerary is not set yet. Once I've pegged that segment, I'm happy for them to swap the A380 in.

Leave a comment:

• zvezda
    replied
    Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
    Whilst I am hoping it would be MEL I am not holding my breath. I have seen the full loads SQ238 from MEL regularly has, and have friends who report the same, but that is a 773. I can report the same for SQ227 from SIN and that is a 744. I have not known anyone who has travelled on those two flights in the last year who has not reported them at almost full.

I am not sure what SQ237 and SQ228 (the opposite legs to above) carry, but if the above flights are anything to go by I cannot understand SQ not introducing the A380 into a new market in MEL rather than a second to SYD.

I gave up trying to guess SQ's plane management after the last announcement of HKG getting the A380.
    Based on the limited information I have about loads and about zero information on yields, I would put a WhaleJet on SQ227/SQ228 and perhaps downgauge the other MEL flights. SQ really need the reconfigured 777-300s -- particularly for SIN-SYD/MEL/HKG/NRT/PVG/PEK/ICN/DEL/BOM.

The HKG flight was probably chosen primarily because it fits into the rotation so nicely together with CDG.

Leave a comment:

• zvezda
    replied
    Originally posted by TerryK View Post
    Talking about September start date. Not sure how reliable those websites are.
    Quoting an anonymous Swissport worker. Hmmm. Perhaps not very reliable. I note that a September start date would follow delivery of 9V-SKJ.

7 available WhaleJets are required to fly the current routes. SQ have 8, assuming none are in MX. By September, SQ will have 10. Adding only ZRH at that point would result in lower utilization than we saw prior to the delivery of 9V-SKG a few weeks ago. Utilization from the delivery of 9V-SKI in early July to the start date in September would be really low, with 2 or 3 WhaleJets sitting parked all day, every day.

I'm skeptical.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X