A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are three problems with the marketing hypothesis:
    1) the same argument could be used to paint the whole plane earlier in the process,
    2) the manufacturer doesn't care about marketing for the airlines, and
    3) it's just an ex post facto hypothesis.

As mr_botak correctly noted, "you can't balance the rudder until finished in its final paint."

Comment

• Not sure if anyone noticed this but 9V-SKA had its tail repainted when it went for the paint job. I think the size of the golden bird was wrong. So, I suppose there was additional balancing done here. Correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQKevin View Post
        Not sure if anyone noticed this but 9V-SKA had its tail repainted when it went for the paint job. I think the size of the golden bird was wrong. So, I suppose there was additional balancing done here. Correct me if I am wrong.
        Yes, a repaint definitely requires rebalancing the rudder.

Comment

• 9V-SKM First Taxi Test

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marc_sc...n/photostream/

Her first flight will be next week and hopefully she'll soon fly to Finkenwerder for outfitting.

Comment

• 9V-SKM First Flight

9V-SKM performed a rejected take-off on Friday and is expected to perform her 1st flight today (Mon afternoon local time).

Comment

• 9V-SKM First Flight

9V-SKM is in the air right now for the first time. If there are no problems, she will land at XFW for outfitting. If there are any problems, then it's back to TLS. Delivery in March should still be possible.

9V-SKN is overdue for roll-out due to difficulties with one of her engines. Should be soon. Delivery will probably be in calendar quarter Q2 2011.

Comment

• Word from TLS is that 9V-SKM has passed all the checks during her first flight and is now on her way to Finkenwerder. She should be landing soon.

Comment

• 9V-SKM is in Hamburg

9V-SKM landed at Finkenwerder!

Photos here:
                  http://www.aviation-friends-hamburg-...d.php?tid=2832

First flight to delivery should be five to six months.

Comment

• What happens between now and delivery. Why does it take so long please?

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                      What happens between now and delivery. Why does it take so long please?
                      Most of that time is spent installing the interior. Painting also takes some time, then a fair bit of testing.

Comment

• oh right i didnt think it would take so long.

thanks for your useful information one gain zvezda

Comment

oh right i didnt think it would take so long.
                          Neither did Airbus or the airlines. It should be three to four months from first flight to delivery. I think they'll get it down to four months by the end of next year.

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                          thanks for your useful information one gain zvezda
                          You're welcome.

Comment

• R class shows up in JFK/EWR box on my latest corp fare sheet. A good indication of the next A380 route?

Comment

What happens between now and delivery. Why does it take so long please?
                              Here is a list of the elapsed time between first flight and delivery for each of SQ's WhaleJets:

9V-SKA 76 weeks
                              9V-SKB 77 weeks
                              9V-SKC 69 weeks
                              9V-SKD 57 weeks
                              9V-SKE 27 weeks
                              9V-SKF 30 weeks
                              9V-SKG 30 weeks
                              9V-SKH 24 weeks
                              9V-SKI 25 weeks
                              9V-SKJ 28 weeks
                              9V-SKK 44 weeks

9V-SKL's first flight was 23 July 2010. 9V-SKM's first flight was 29 September 2010. For 9V-SKL to be delivered in December would require setting a new record of 23 weeks, which I think is possible. For 9V-SKM to be delivered in January, which some people here are asserting will happen, would require a new record of 17 weeks, which I don't believe is possible any time soon.

The record for the QF cabin is 21 weeks, for the EK cabin 23 weeks, for AF and LH 25 weeks.
                              Last edited by zvezda; 2 October 2010, 01:42 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

• I would have thought it would have been in airbus interest to get a move on and get the aircraft delivered ASAP. Personally it seems a long time. But im not really an expert in the subject.

Comment

Working...
                                X