Canada Allows Singaporean Airlines Unlimited Flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Allows Singaporean Airlines Unlimited Flights

Canada has allowed airlines from Singapore to operate unlimited flights into the country via selected intermediate points.

Previously, Singapore Airlines could only operate into Canada under a licence.

The new pact "demonstrates our two countries" commitment to pursue a common goal of achieving a more liberal aviation framework in the global aviation arena," said Lim Kim Choon, the authority's director-general and chief executive officer.

Singapore Airlines has been campaigning for more rights into Canada for many years.

Recently, Singapore and the United Kingdom signed a landmark Open Skies Agreement which included unlimited rights between the two countries, and even cabotage.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...7.html%3C/a%3E
    http://www.cargonewsasia.com/secured...&article=14642
    Last edited by Singapore_Air; 8 November 2007, 03:33 AM. Reason: My opinion of this 'liberalisation' has changed somewhat

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
    In an act of enlightenment and modernity, Canada has allowed airlines from Singapore to operate unlimited flights into the country via selected intermediate points.

Previously, Singapore Airlines could only operate into Canada under a licence.

The new pact "demonstrates our two countries" commitment to pursue a common goal of achieving a more liberal aviation framework in the global aviation arena," said Lim Kim Choon, the authority's director-general and chief executive officer.

Singapore Airlines has been campaigning for more rights into Canada for many years.

Recently, Singapore and the United Kingdom signed a landmark Open Skies Agreement which included unlimited rights between the two countries, and even cabotage.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...7.html%3C/a%3E
    http://www.cargonewsasia.com/secured...&article=14642
    Where do you think SQ's idea of flying to? I think they have codeshare with Air Canada to Toronto.

Comment

Singapore Airlines currently operates six weekly passenger flights between Singapore and Vancouver via Seoul.

The quote is from the link you posted. Currently, SQ flies YVR-ICN-SIN only on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. How can it be six weekly?

Comment

Yes I thought that too.

As everyone knows, SIA only flies 3x weekly into Canada into YVR.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore media release stated six times and the media picked up on that.

One could speculate that SIA intends to up it to 6x but I'm putting it down to a mistake at this juncture.

Comment

I think SQ will go to 6x or 7x weekly to YVR very soon. After that I think we'll also see YYZ service, probably daily. The questions are which aircraft (I guess probably 777-200ER -- at least to start) and via which intermediate city. I believe Singapore and China have an Open Skies Treaty. SIN-PEK-YYZ would be interesting.

Comment

I thought Singaporean fifth freedoms ex-China was only allowed for Cargo flights or am I wrong? Just checkin.

Comment

KE uses 744 to YYZ so I think SQ will be doing SIN-ICN-YYZ .

Comment

Hmm... I don't think SQ's aircraft usage is depending on the competitors, it's more on the demand. If YYZ do comes back into SQ's agenda, they may want to utilised other routes or 5th freedom (if any). HKG is a more lucrative market for flights to YYZ, but I'm not sure if they have right to fly from HKG to YYZ.

Comment

I thought Singaporean fifth freedoms ex-China was only allowed for Cargo flights or am I wrong? Just checkin.
                  I'm not sure, but they just signed a new agreement (earlier this year?) that was just the first or second Open Skies agreement for China.

Comment

There is no OSA with PRC at the moment, as of now. I think they have some more liberalised Air Services Agreement of that sort, not too sure.

SQ won't compete with fellow *A and codeshare partner, AC on the HKG-YYZ route. They will probably take up another stopover destination before going to YYZ.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
                      SQ won't compete with fellow *A and codeshare partner, AC on the HKG-YYZ route. They will probably take up another stopover destination before going to YYZ.
                      Can I confirm what your source is, for making this assertion about SQ strategy?

I think you're making a leap in logic. SQ seems to compete actively with *A partners when the yields justify the action (e.g., FRA-SIN [vs. LH], or SIN-SFO [vs. UA]).
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

any possibility of a SQ flight operating from YVR?

Comment

Originally posted by impresta View Post
                          any possibility of a SQ flight operating from YVR?
                          SQ already operates to YVR 3xweekly via ICN. Perhaps you mean additional flights?
                          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Yes I thought that too.

As everyone knows, SIA only flies 3x weekly into Canada into YVR.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore media release stated six times and the media picked up on that.

One could speculate that SIA intends to up it to 6x but I'm putting it down to a mistake at this juncture.
                            I am more inclined to think it is due to the three flights in and three flights out, amounting to six aircraft movements in total as far as the airport is concerned...
                            Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                              Can I confirm what your source is, for making this assertion about SQ strategy?

I think you're making a leap in logic. SQ seems to compete actively with *A partners when the yields justify the action (e.g., FRA-SIN [vs. LH], or SIN-SFO [vs. UA]).
                              Both of these routes predate SQ joining *A. In fact, I cannot recall off my head any new routes launched without SQ going head-to-head with another *A airline other than the two routes to Japan via BKK.
                              Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Working...
                              X