SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
    SMS is due a change of scenery - 15 years with SQ is long enough. heh.

SMU seems to be slowing down too - Major MX? Or is she being prepped for retirement?

SMW's still going strong though.
    I flew SMU recently both ways between JFK and SIN. I was like, oh man, not this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by EWR View Post
      I flew SMU recently both ways between JFK and SIN. I was like, oh man, not this one.
      once upon a time she ruled the skies as "the 1000th 747" - she even wore a special decal proclaiming that fact till dec 03.

Comment

• Originally posted by lame38.5 View Post
        ladies and gentleman... another one of SIA 744 Pax, 9V-SMS has jus begun her transformation into freighter. She is in the PTF Hangar currently.
        I just flew 9V-SMS JFK-SIN, departed JFK on Apr 22 and arrived SIN on Apr 24. Guess it must have been her last passenger flight! I was actually pleasantly surprised by how good she was on the inside -- my seat (21K, main deck business) was very well padded and comfortable, unlike some of the worn-out seats I have been on on other SQ 747s. The cabin and bathrooms looked pretty newly renovated overall.

She did look pretty worn on the outside -- big black stains around the doors where the jetway meets the aircraft.

Comment

• i think its something to do with the timetable with which SQ retrofitted their aircraft after the launch of the spacebed.

i know the fateful SPK and SPL were the launch birds for SQ's first birds for the initial ultimo "upgrade" in 1998. i've no idea which were the chosen launch birds for the spacebed programme in late 2001.

that timetable is probably more relevant to the state of the cabin product, rather than the raw age of the airframe. fixtures such as toilets however tell a different story. two of SMS's Y toilets were positively flooded on her last LHR run 30 march. stank so bad.

Comment

i think its something to do with the timetable with which SQ retrofitted their aircraft after the launch of the spacebed.
            True to a point... However things like seat cushions get replaced every 2 or 3 years or so, so the initial install date would be less relevant than the most recent refurbish / cushion replacement date.

Comment

• will a few 744s stayed on even longer now as heard that few days ago Airbus inform its customers that there will be likely delay of its A380s delivery as it cant meet its monthly scheduled production.

Comment

• Will be flying the 744 to LAX within the next month in C and would like to know if the upper deck's exclusive private jet feel is still holding it's own, with the complains of the worn out cabin is the seat and experience still good?

Comment

• Originally posted by danzer View Post
                  Will be flying the 744 to LAX within the next month in C and would like to know if the upper deck's exclusive private jet feel is still holding it's own, with the complains of the worn out cabin is the seat and experience still good?
                  I think seat condition etc is very subjective. it depends on your luck. If you go to the gate and see SMU/SMW/SPA/SPB waiting for you your heart may drop (sometimes justifiably).

If you see the SPM or maybe the Star Alliance colours of SPP sitting there, you might feel slightly happier and expect more.

There's no accurate indicator anyway. I mentioned before that I flew on SPG a while back and the bird was in poor poor condition. I flew SPM a week later and she was in near top knick. I then flew SMS two weeks on the first, and she was in a right old state.

Toss the coin and hope for the best. In any case, Upper Deck on the 744 still is quite an experience. It may no longer be class-topping but it's by no means a shabby experience.

hope it goes well for you!

Comment

• Thanks kelvgoh for the opinion, either way, i'm sure it will be a good experience as i have been dreaming (ok, abit exaggerated, more like hoping) to experience the 744 upper deck before it's gone since it first came out. Yes! i will be on time to catch the train before it leaves for good!

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                      will a few 744s stayed on even longer now as heard that few days ago Airbus inform its customers that there will be likely delay of its A380s delivery as it cant meet its monthly scheduled production.
                      That's still an unconfirmed rumor, but it's a credible rumor. The announced plan was to increase WhaleJet production to four per month by 2010. However, the last year (actually, the only year) that Airbus ever sold 36 or more WhaleJets was 2001. The only other year in which they ever sold 24 or more was 2003. Increasing production to double the long-term sales rate is suicidal. If Airbus are optimistic about future sales, they should increase production to three per month. If they are pessimistic, they should increase production to two per month. Either way, they will blame either production problems or their suppliers rather than anemic sales.

Will the likely delays to second tranche deliveries affect the timing of JumboJet retirements? I doubt it. SQ have already sold all their Jumbos and have contractual delivery dates. I don't think the situation will become grave enough to try to renegotiate the contracts. A more likely response to make up for the capacity shortfall would be to exercise some 777-300ER options.

Originally posted by danzer View Post
                      Will be flying the 744 to LAX within the next month in C and would like to know if the upper deck's exclusive private jet feel is still holding it's own, with the complains of the worn out cabin is the seat and experience still good?
                      I look at it this way: flying in the rattiest old SQ aircraft is still better than flying in a newly reconfigured UA aircraft. Service counts.

Comment

• According to Bloomberg, EK have confirmed that Airbus have told them that WhaleJet deliveries will be further delayed.

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                          A more likely response to make up for the capacity shortfall would be to exercise some 777-300ER options.
                          perhaps we might also see SQ dropping 744s on some routes and putting 773s, 77Ws or 333s on them?

I think likely candidates would be 866/865 (HKG), 228/227(Melbourne), one of the SYD flights and one of the LHR services?

I'm thinking LHR could be a possibility if the other two are operated by A380s.

Comment

perhaps we might also see SQ dropping 744s on some routes and putting 773s, 77Ws or 333s on them?

I think likely candidates would be 866/865 (HKG), 228/227(Melbourne), one of the SYD flights and one of the LHR services?

I'm thinking LHR could be a possibility if the other two are operated by A380s.
                            HKG is a good candidate for the A330-330s, probably with an increase in frequency. I think the 777-300ER is well suited for MEL. I don't see LHR being downgauged unless SQ pick up a fourth frequency.

Comment

• it seems that SQ remaining fleet of A380s will likely be delayed by 6 to 12 mths or more by the time all its 19th A380s are delivered, that its very likely that SQ will delay some of its planned B772s withdrawal. This is also because its ordered A350s will seemingly be delayed too.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                                it seems that SQ remaining fleet of A380s will likely be delayed by 6 to 12 mths or more by the time all its 19th A380s are delivered, that its very likely that SQ will delay some of its planned B772s withdrawal. This is also because its ordered A350s will seemingly be delayed too.
                                Sigh. So, with delays to A350 and 787 (and A380), it's come to this.

For quite some time, the regional and mid-haul fleet will consist of approaching teenage 772s, 773s, plus "new" A330s which SQ rejected in the mid-1990s when it placed its first mega 777 order.

Comment

Working...
                                X