No announcement yet.

SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 747 is so uncomfortable in economy class compared to the A380 (as currently configured by SQ) that I can't see the advantage for SQ to order any 747-8.

Comment

Originally posted by dcflyer View Post
      The 747 is so uncomfortable in economy class compared to the A380 (as currently configured by SQ) that I can't see the advantage for SQ to order any 747-8.
      Yes but if the order the new 747-8 then they are more likely to configure it like the new A380 rather than the old 747

Comment

The 747-8I can carry a lot more cargo than the WhaleJet. Cargo often provides better revenue than passengers -- certainly better than economy class passengers. Also, why should SQ care about the relative comfort difference in economy? Economy passengers are not willing to pay substantially more for increased comfort as evidenced by the very poor marginal yield for the extremely comfortable Executive Economy service on the A340-500s.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
          Yes but if the order the new 747-8 then they are more likely to configure it like the new A380 rather than the old 747
          The difference in cabin width means that 10Y seating on the WhaleJet is more comfortable than 10Y seating on the JumboJet if the pitch is constant. SQ could increase pitch on the 747-8I but I doubt they would.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
            The 747-8I can carry a lot more cargo than the WhaleJet. Cargo often provides better revenue than passengers -- certainly better than economy class passengers. Also, why should SQ care about the relative comfort difference in economy? Economy passengers are not willing to pay substantially more for increased comfort as evidenced by the very poor marginal yield for the extremely comfortable Executive Economy service on the A340-500s.
            You raise a good point about the cargo capacity differences. However, if SQ felt like putting in the same style seats on the A380 they have on the 747 they could fit in another seat across on the main deck of the A380. For their own reasons they have decided against that.

I will be interested to see if the 747-8 gets any more orders. I kinda doubt it as I think it gets squeezed from below by the 777-300ER/A350-1000 and from above by the A380. There is only so much you can get out of a fuselage width designed nearly 40 years ago.

Comment

I will be interested to see if the 747-8 gets any more orders. I kinda doubt it as I think it gets squeezed from below by the 777-300ER/A350-1000 and from above by the A380.
              The 747-8I already has an order in 2008.

Comment

Last of 9V-SM*

Only 9V-SMS, 9V-SMU, 9V-SMW, and 9V-SMZ remain. My guess is that all four will leave the fleet in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                  The 747-8I already has an order in 2008.

Yes, for a VIP version.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post

Yes correct. It is not the 747 problem. It is the configuration that was designed serveral years back by SIA. Some airline do have better configuration on same type of 747.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                      I've played with 747-8I configurations using the new seating products. There are two possible strategies:
                      12R upstairs, about 50C in zones A and B, then about 340Y, or
                      8-9R in zone A (the nose), about 30C upstairs in a 1-1-1 configuration plus about 30C in zone B, and about 340Y.

With off-centerline aisles upstairs in the latter configuration, head room would be an issue for some people even in the absence of overhead bins. No double Suites in the former configuration and at most just one join-able pair in the latter.

Comment

• It's just been announced that El Al will buy one of SQ's JumboJet delivered in 1994. That would be 9V-SMW, 9V-SMZ, 9V-SPA, 9V-SPB, or 9V-SPC. Anyone know which one? Delivery is contracted to occur before the end of 2008.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssI...46720320080114

Comment

• Unknown, but fingers crossed for SMW!

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                            It's just been announced that El Al will buy one of SQ's JumboJet delivered in 1994. That would be 9V-SMW, 9V-SMZ, 9V-SPA, 9V-SPB, or 9V-SPC. Anyone know which one? Delivery is contracted to occur before the end of 2008.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssI...46720320080114
                            9V-SPC was retired Jan 2007 and is a BCF with CX as B-HKS. So, it has to be one of four regos.

If I'm not mistaken CX should have 2 more ex SQ 744s due while I think KA has 1 more. All three are due for BCF converison. It should be interesting to see which regos they take.

And it should be interesting to see where 9V-SPR goes once returned (around May?). Either way it sounds like another 744 is due to be retired very soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
                              fingers crossed for SMW!
                              Why? Because she is the oldest?

Comment

• i am being trained to work on 747-400 and now they selling away the planes one by one... wat can i do then?
                                life long learning == learn later

ASU here i come!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X