SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FlyBoy View Post
    Yep SQ stuffing around either MEL or SYD again!

They really don't seem to care about either of these destinations with the ever changing equipment.
    I don't think it's so much that they don't care, as it is that they have no choice because their new equipment is really stretched thin, so much so that if something goes fluffy, they don't have something equivalent to put back in. Pulling the A380 off the MEL or SYD rotations makes things easier as those rotations are less than 24 hours.

What can they really do if there really isn't another aircraft they can put in there other than a B744 or one of the older fleets?

Of course, the constant A380 delivery delays are not helping either.

Comment

• Originally posted by demue View Post
      Planes are still full so why would they I understand the frustration though.
      Yep, takes a while for people to get fed up with it and the only other real alternative to Europe is Emirates and they fleet is so mixed up with various interiors and layouts!!!!

Comment

... the only other real alternative to Europe is Emirates and they fleet is so mixed up with various interiors and layouts!!!!
        I disagree. SQ is my home carrier and naturally offers the most flexibility on routings. If I decide to give up that flexibility, I don't see why EK would be my "only real alternative".

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
          Well, looks like the 744 may stay a bit longer than expected?
          Since the JumboJets were originally expected to be gone by about 2006 to 2008, yes, you're right. Now it's looking like some time in 2012 -- perhaps by the end of the fiscal year in March 2012.

Comment

Yep, takes a while for people to get fed up with it and the only other real alternative to Europe is Emirates and they fleet is so mixed up with various interiors and layouts!!!!
            There's always MH or TG?

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
              I disagree. SQ is my home carrier and naturally offers the most flexibility on routings. If I decide to give up that flexibility, I don't see why EK would be my "only real alternative".
              From Australia Etihad and Emirates probably offer much more flexibility!

At the moment for the optimum flight from Melbourne to Europe

An old 777-300 which then connects to an A380.......

Comment

What does this have to do with flexibility?

Comment

• Looks like SQ221/212 is back to 388 after all.

Wasn't looking forward to the Spacebed & 744.

Comment

From Australia Etihad and Emirates probably offer much more flexibility!

At the moment for the optimum flight from Melbourne to Europe

Assuming what you say is true, then your original comment about EK being the only real alternative to SQ may or may not hold some water, from MEL.

It's still a huge leap from that to your general comment about EK being the "only real alternative" to flying SQ to Europe.

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                      Assuming what you say is true, then your original comment about EK being the only real alternative to SQ may or may not hold some water, from MEL.
                      I would assume he's talking about Melbourne. We love your national carrier here (far more than we love our own!) but right now they are really giving Melbourne a raw deal.

The two flights which connect to/from the full set of European destinations are SQ228 from MEL and SQ217 back to MEL. Both of these flights are now planned to be refurbed 773 which don't really have the kind of capacity needed for all those connections. Of the three daily flights, the A380 is now of no use in either direction, unless you are flying to/from Frankfurt or London, and even then that causes longer layovers at Changi.

I understand why this is happening because of all the aircraft shortages, but SQ are losing a lot of custom to rivals. Many other travellers I know in MEL have shifted carriers because of this problem. It's a real shame because SQ is a fantastic airline overall.

Comment

• 747 9V-SMU has become N417AC - still at Singapore I believe. Any idea for who ?
                        /A

Comment

• Originally posted by aerotransport View Post
                          747 9V-SMU has become N417AC - still at Singapore I believe. Any idea for who ?
                          /A
                          Has she been decommissioned previously? Or is she the latest of the remaining 7 to go?

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                            Has she been decommissioned previously? Or is she the latest of the remaining 7 to go?
                            Previously withdrawn, along with 9V-SPA; the other seven are SPE, SPJ, SPM, SPN, SPO, SPP, and SPQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitterroot View Post
                              Previously withdrawn, along with 9V-SPA; the other seven are SPE, SPJ, SPM, SPN, SPO, SPP, and SPQ.
                              Do we know what is happening with 9V-SPA? Has she got a new home lined up?

Comment

• Originally posted by qantas_flyer View Post
                                Do we know what is happening with 9V-SPA? Has she got a new home lined up?
                                I have info it is for SIA Cargo but can't confirm.

Comment

Working...
                                X