SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
    I assume that some pax 744s are in the 18 (am I correct?) aircraft SQ grounded. Anyone knows which are the aircraft?
    Actually, none of the remaining 744s (11 of the them) have been grounded -- at least not yet. The recent withdrawals -- 9V-SPA, 9V-SPF, and 9V-SPL -- are all aircraft being withdrawn because their leases are up, and they were planned to leave the fleet.

The others won't go until 773 refurbs and/or A388s replace 77Ws which replace 744s. That happens to SQ308/319 end of this month, so who knows? Another 744 could be mustered out fairly soon, but we don't know that yet.

As the man says -- they'll all be gone by next April.

Comment

• Thanks for the info. Quite sad to see them go so fast.

Comment

• http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...88-664,00.html

Something news downunder

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
          Nick C,

Thanks for the link.

I read this story in my local paper and was going to post it here on SQTalk as a topic on its own. I am wondering if anyone has any idea what planes the story is refering to when it speaks of mothballing planes, the older 747's or the newer planes?

Thanks in advance for your input.

SQ238.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
            Nick C,

Thanks for the link.

I read this story in my local paper and was going to post it here on SQTalk as a topic on its own. I am wondering if anyone has any idea what planes the story is refering to when it speaks of mothballing planes, the older 747's or the newer planes?

Thanks in advance for your input.

SQ238.
            It will most likely be the 744s with leases ending in 2011/2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
              Does anyone know the status of SPA, i.e. is still under going conversion or is it in the air with SQ Cargo? And will it be sent off to another operator or SQ keeping it on a long term basis? I heard SQ gounded 1 744F over a month ago because of a lack in demand, so I'm surprised SQ will keep SPA as BCF for themselves.
              SPA BCF postponed

Comment

• Originally posted by peterblack View Post
                SPA BCF postponed
                Seems to be -she's still in service here she is this morning at T3
                Last edited by SQflyergirl; 21 March 2009, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  Seems to be -she's still in service here she is this morning at T3
                  scheduled for conversion in april but postponed
                  Last edited by SQflyergirl; 21 March 2009, 10:53 PM. Reason: correct pic link

Comment

• Wow, good to see SPA still doing pax service till her time expires. After more than 14 years of service with SQ, she still is a workhorse in the fleet.

Comment

• Well, I have secured an F seat on the penultimate LHR 744 service, departing this Friday... It will be a sad moment, personally, when LHR no longer sees this wonderful bird.

Mind you, it's only wonderful when in F The 77W/A380 new products in C and Y are miles and miles ahead of the 747 and if I was travelling in Y, I would not be sad to see the 744 go.

Comment

• Originally posted by stargold View Post
                        Well, I have secured an F seat on the penultimate LHR 744 service, departing this Friday...
                        Would I be right in assuming this is a BD award made in the last few days ?.

If so, it looks like you got the seat I released last week.

Comment

• MAN Flyer: Yes, I made the booking yesterday in fact. A very painful 45-minute long ICC experience, but worth it in the end!

Funnily enough, another F seat opened up as soon as I took mine, so maybe they're planning to fill F with reward tickets?

PS. The final LHR 747 flight on Saturday looks pretty much full to the brim - F3 C1 and Y0! And no window seats available in F on Saturday - makes me glad I went for Friday with my 3F

PPS. Despite only 3 seats left for sale in F for Saturday, at least one of them is available for an award! They really are trying to fill up F with reward tickets!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                            Of the 13 currently in fleet, 3 are expected to become BCFs. Hopefully, SMU (1000th 747) may become a museum piece.
                            Not bloody likely. S'pore is not known for its sentimentality on such matters and SIA under its present management even less so. It might happen, but colour me pleasantly stunned if it does.

Comment

• I tried to get a Window seat for my SQ26 from SIN-FRA, but I'm on a waitlist for the window seat option. Wow, looks like a lot of people like me want to take these planes as much as possible before they are retired from the fleet later this year or earlier next year.

Originally posted by Danny Bhoy View Post
                              Not bloody likely. S'pore is not known for its sentimentality on such matters and SIA under its present management even less so. It might happen, but colour me pleasantly stunned if it does.
                              I still think it should become a museum piece eventually. Even if SQ does not do it in Singapore, I'm hoping that after it's last operator, they'll ship it to the Boeing museum in Seattle. I think that would be a good choice if SQ does not do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
                                I tried to get a Window seat for my SQ26 from SIN-FRA, but I'm on a waitlist for the window seat option. Wow, looks like a lot of people like me want to take these planes as much as possible before they are retired from the fleet later this year or earlier next year.
                                And not because they need to get from SIN to FRA of course...

Comment

Working...
                                X