Advice needed on SQ waitlists...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    As a HH Diamond in Singapore I would definitely go for the Conrad unless it's stupidly expensive (can happen if a large exhibition is on at Suntec across the road) or if the Hilton is a lot cheaper.

For Bangkok it depends how long you've got and what you are looking for. The Conrad is in the City if not in a great location for public transport, or the new Hilton which is on the River, although the 'wrong/far' side of the River. I think the Conrad is a far better Hotel but I do like being on the River. We just did 4 nights in Bangkok and split the trip doing 2 days on the river and 2 in the 'City', albeit at SPG properties.

Only ever stayed in the Hilton at NRT itself so can't help with Tokyo, although I believe the Conrad there is highly rated.
    MAN Flyer, thanks for the advice! I've never been in SEA, so I really appreciate it.
    I've already booked the Conrad in Singapore and Bangkok. The Conrad in Bangkok was unbelievably cheap for one night, and the Conrad in Singapore was actually cheaper than the Hilton there. But hey, I'm not gonna complain.

Regarding Tokyo, I'm still undecided. I've just heard from friends of mine that they'll be back in SFO beginning of August. So, instead of a few days in NYC, I now would like to spend a few days there. That means I need to move my SQ12 NRT-LAX leg forward by a day, and my UA LAX-JFK leg back by two days. Called SQ today to move the NRT-LAX to Aug 8th, but the guy at SQ wouldn't touch my reservation because it wasn't made by SQ. He did tell me though that the flight is pretty full and I'd be waitlisted again.
    Therefore, I'm now considering skipping my stay in Tokyo and try to fly on the 7th. Will call SAS early tomorrow morning to check my options as SQ also don't want to touch the UA leg. And I thought any *A member had access to a *RTW to change dates...I must be doing something wrong.
    /Desert Traveller

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Traveller View Post
      Called SQ today to move the NRT-LAX to Aug 8th, but the guy at SQ wouldn't touch my reservation because it wasn't made by SQ.
      The guy is correct. In the mixed-carriers RTW tix, if you change your SQ NRT-LAX through, the original issuer of your tix (which I believe is SAS) will not see the changes made. If you call UA and change your UA flight, the same thing will happen. Those reservations systems do not talk to each other.
      The problem would be when you have E-tix. I had an experience which the tix was issued by SQ. Then during the travel, UA changed my flight, and revalidated the E-tix twice. SQ did not see the change made. Thus, when I tried to fix my other SQ flights later on, SQ ticket office had a field day trying to get the correct last E-tix number.

In short, your tix right now is in control of SAS. Thus, it is wiser to do everything through SAS (less headache). And also if you call SQ, NRT-LAX will be confirmed flight, but your LAX-JFK might show in SQ systems as INFO SEGMENT only.

Comment

And even if you manage to get the non-issuing carrier to perform the change, be prepared to be nickeled and dimed with all sorts of nuisance fees.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

CGK, KeithMEL, thanks for the clarification! Called SAS this morning and managed to get on the flights I wanted, no waitlist.

The one thing I really like about the SAS Sweden reservations is, if you're on hold for more than a few minutes they offer to call you back! You just have to enter your phone number!

The only disappointing bit is that row 17 has been taken on the 7th already. But then again, I'm waitlisted for an upgrade redemption to F on SQ12. Ticketing deadline is the 2nd...do I just wait or do I actively have to do something to get it ticketed?
          Last edited by Desert Traveller; 20 July 2007, 06:27 AM. Reason: missed off the ticketing deadline...
          /Desert Traveller

Comment

Quick update...just checked in for SQ317 and SQ954 online. No problems there. But when I want to access the details in my bookings it loads a blank page. The booking is there, OLCI works, but I can't access the booking.

Also, seat 11K seems to be free...but I can't take it, because it's a bassinet seat. Is there a way to get that seat? Would be same row as blast-off then...
            /Desert Traveller

Comment

Quick update...just checked in for SQ317 and SQ954 online. No problems there. But when I want to access the details in my bookings it loads a blank page. The booking is there, OLCI works, but I can't access the booking.
              Welcome to the reality world of SQ.
              While doing my run, I had seen too many blank pages of my bookings. It will go back to normal after few days. As an example, I changed the date and flight of one of my PNR through SQ reservation in Singapore. She sent me the copy of the itinerary through e-mail, but on-line it was blank. It took about 3 days to get back to normal.
              Or else, I flew one of the segments in the PNR. Then I could not access the PNR for the rest of the trip.
              I know DeltaFlyingProf has experienced the similar blank page situation as well.

Comment

Also, seat 11K seems to be free...but I can't take it, because it's a bassinet seat. Is there a way to get that seat? Would be same row as blast-off then...
                In some cases, bassinet seats are probably kept under airport control until in-person checkin, because the parents might claim them then. I think it's best to request them at checkin.

(In 11K, wouldn't you be way on the other side of the cabin relative to blast-off, so that it might be better, if you wish to be in greeting / chatting range, to go for some of the seats on the left side of the aircraft?)
                Last edited by jjpb3; 23 July 2007, 02:26 AM. Reason: wording
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

CGK, thanks...I guess I can live without accessing my PNR. Plus if I manage to change LAX-JFK to LAX-SFO-JFK the whole thing will change again anyway.

jjpb3, too true. I'd be on the other side of the plane...but the only other seats on the upperdeck are 19A (which I currently have) and 19K. I was thinking that maybe one of the passengers in 19C or 19H wouldn't mind swapping seats.
                  Just checked, 18A and C have opened up...and in addition checkmytrip.com shows 17A but SQ OLCI doesn't. DANG! Too good to be true I guess. But I went for 18C...I'm an aisle person.
                  Last edited by Desert Traveller; 23 July 2007, 07:06 AM. Reason: seat typo...
                  /Desert Traveller

Comment

But I went for 18A...I'm an aisle person.
                    I'm confused; is 18A an aisle seat?

We can discuss this and other topics at the London Do, Desert Traveller. I'll see you there!
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Sorry, I meant 18C, jjpb3.

Another update, called SQ to order BTC...went for the Singapore Chicken Rice. And asked about a seat on row 17. And guess what, I got 17A. WOOT!
                      Last edited by Desert Traveller; 23 July 2007, 07:18 AM. Reason: another update...
                      /Desert Traveller

Comment

Another update, called SQ to order BTC...went for the Singapore Chicken Rice.
                        Okay, I may be wrong here. But since two years ago, I dislike the BTC chicken rice. Too dry. But recently, when I order from the main menu, it was fine. So hopefully if your BTC not good, please don't scream ...

And asked about a seat on row 17. And guess what, I got 17A. WOOT!
                        Cogratulations. Hope you will have a quiet and rested trip to Singapore.

Comment

Hello from SIN SKL...

Quick update...after arriving on SQ317, I managed to collect my luggage, check it in again for SQ492, leave most of my hand luggage in SIN, hop onto SQ954, get a boarding card in CGK, and return to SIN on SQ955. Where I'm now waiting for SQ492. Thanks again for all your advice!!

I'll post a more detailed trip report at some point...but so far, the trip has been excellent. Managed to get about 7hrs of sleep on SQ317, and the food was excellent. Though I'm glad I had BTCed the chicken rice, the lunch menu wasn't that appealing to me. Brekkie on both SQ317 and SQ954 were excellent again, just the meal on SQ955 was disappointing. But at that point I wasn't really hungry anymore...hehe. Outstanding crew on the A340 though!

Okie, more, and more details to follow incl. pics soon...
                          /Desert Traveller

Comment

..., hop onto SQ954, get a boarding card in CGK, and return to SIN on SQ955.
                            Hmm why did not you get the BP for SQ955 in Singapore? A return check-in would be possible, especially you have checked your bags for SQ492.

Note: I am glad to hear that you enjoy your trip so far.

Comment

CGK, I was booked on SQ957 and the lady at the check-in counter in SIN couldn't or wouldn't change me to SQ955...suggested I go to the ticket desk. But I didn't have enough time for that. To me it was more important to get rid of my bags, whether I wait in CGK or SIN, it's still time to kill. But I managed the quick turnaround with plenty of time in CGK...with the help of the very friendly staff at the transfer desk.
                              /Desert Traveller

Comment

But I managed the quick turnaround with plenty of time in CGK...with the help of the very friendly staff at the transfer desk.
                                Desert Traveller, I'm glad to hear that it all went smoothly! Did you also have time to check out the very nice Esplanade Lounge in CGK ?

Comment

Working...
                                X