No announcement yet.

Upgrade to Premium Economy offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MEL may have most flights carrying PEY by middle of next year.

My SQ228 booking at the end of March went 77WR a month ago and my SQ217 booking in July has just gone A380. (Got straight in and scored an upper deck Y! )

I'm also expecting that SQ207/8 will go A350 again at some point soon, but nothing official yet as I would have received a seat reallocation alert tossing out the old 772. Please by late June, SQ, please!

That would then just leave SQ237/8 as the only non-PEY flight pair, although with the reduction in total passenger capacity caused by all the PEY cabins eating into regular Y, this could also cause an increase to the current 28 flights per week.

Comment

The introduction of PY will result in a reduction of Y seats. Hopefully the 380 will be able to absorb the reduction of Y seats. It is good they are using the 380 with the economy class on the upper deck.

I wonder if 237/238 will get the 77WN instead.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
        The introduction of PY will result in a reduction of Y seats. Hopefully the 380 will be able to absorb the reduction of Y seats. It is good they are using the 380 with the economy class on the upper deck.

I wonder if 237/238 will get the 77WN instead.
        They've never shown much love to poor old SQ237/8, so I'm guessing it might be one of the last to get the new products. It has the advantage of being able to be operated by a single aircraft without much loss in utilisation, so it's easy for SQ to just switch it to a different version at any time that's convenient.

Comment

That would be 2 77WN frames would be taken out as MEL currently deals with them (227/228) as 228 returns at 9:30PM back to SIN, while 227 departs at 9:15PM. The question could be where would those two frames go?

My guess could be one goes to SYD (211/212) and the other goes to MEL (237/238).

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
            That would be 2 77WN frames would be taken out as MEL currently deals with them (227/228) as 228 returns at 9:30PM back to SIN, while 227 departs at 9:15PM. The question could be where would those two frames go?

My guess could be one goes to SYD (211/212) and the other goes to MEL (237/238).
            SQ227/8 does not represent two 77WNs. It represents only 1 in real terms which is interworked with other flights in a cycle. They don't park a plane on the tarmac at SIN for 23 hours so it can go back to MEL. It could occur on the very odd occasion but that would be highly exceptional.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              SQ227/8 does not represent two 77WNs. It represents only 1 in real terms which is interworked with other flights in a cycle. They don't park a plane on the tarmac at SIN for 23 hours so it can go back to MEL. It could occur on the very odd occasion but that would be highly exceptional.
              I meant as far as turn around time goes. SQ227 stays for about 9 hours on the ground before turning back as SQ228. However, SQ237/238 has a 1 hour turnaround time, which would represent 1 77WN.

SQ1/2 represent 2 77WN
              SQ318/319 represent 2 77WN
              SQ636/631 represent 1 77WN
              SQ227/228 represent 1 77WN

Oh snap, you are right then (roughly assigning regs to each). My bad SQ228

That's why I thought it represented 2 77WNs. There have been often cases where the craft doing 228 overnights itself either doing another route (ad-hoc to PVG, MNL, etc) or going as 318 to LHR.

Comment

Arguably this means the 77WN being yanked from 227/228 could do NRT, but since that's going from 772 to regional 773 (SY* planes), I guess it *might* do SQ237/238.

Then this would go from SQ2 going from 3 frames to 4 frames to protect the on-time departure to SFO in the Summer, 3 frames in the Winter (Sorry for being a little off topic).

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                  Arguably this means the 77WN being yanked from 227/228 could do NRT, but since that's going from 772 to regional 773 (SY* planes), I guess it *might* do SQ237/238.

Then this would go from SQ2 going from 3 frames to 4 frames to protect the on-time departure to SFO in the Summer, 3 frames in the Winter (Sorry for being a little off topic).
                  This whole protect SQ 2 thing is ridiculous. As long there is a 77W, the flight will still take off.

And by the way, the 77W that comes of SQ 228 from MEL is usually assigned to SQ 636 the 2245 departure to HND.

Comment

I got a $300 upgrade offer at SFO one way to SIN via ICN in March on their new 9V-SNB. I thought the seat was definitely more spacious. The champagne in those little plastic cups were funny to look at but, hey, it's free unlimited champagne.

The noise cancelling headsets were OK. They were not as good as my Bose product and so I didn't use SQ's.

Because it was an airport upgrade, we couldn't use "Book the Cook." The PEY flight menu was the same as Y I thought. They give bread rolls/croissants, which I don't they do in Y.

I'll fly PEY again in two weeks. This time I'm booking the cook. Interestingly, the BTC options from LAX are impressive but from ICN and SIN are quite limited.

On my return, I was in their new Generation Y with a whole row to myself. It was just was good as PEY. ��

Overall, I think PEY is worth it in very long flights. But, SQ's Y is really good anyway.
                    Last edited by sqtx; 1 December 2016, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sqtx View Post
                      I got a $300 upgrade offer at SFO one way to SIN via ICN in March on their new 9V-SNB. I thought the seat was definitely more spacious. The champagne in those little plastic cups were funny to look at but, hey, it's free unlimited champagne.

The noise cancelling headsets were OK. They were not as good as my Bose product and so I didn't use SQ's.

Because it was an airport upgrade, we couldn't use "Book the Cook." The PEY flight menu was the same as Y I thought. They give bread rolls/croissants, which I don't they do in Y.

I'll fly PEY again in two weeks. This time I'm booking the cook. Interestingly, the BTC options from LAX are impressive but from ICN and SIN are quite limited.

On my return, I was in their new Generation Y with a whole row to myself. It was just was good as PEY. ��

Overall, I think PEY is worth it in very long flights. But, SQ's Y is really good anyway.
                      Some very helpful info.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by sqtx View Post

You do get a generic bread roll in Y... Comes pre-placed on the tray...
                        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                          Some very helpful info.
                          Of what relevance is PEY to you?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                            Of what relevance is PEY to you?

It was well written and contained some some nice intel.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

SQ362/361 have gotten a 77WR with PEY, now introducing it for the first time before it launches to go A350. With the number of 77WR increasing, one of them have been doing other routes lately. It got 9V-SWP off SQ237/238 which has been doing it both days of the weekend. Interesting they're giving it an early test before this route goes A350.

This is pretty interesting and good to know SQ is promoting PEY on many longhaul routes as well.

Comment

Okay, as I wrote before, here is my review of my A350 economy flight from Amsterdam to Singapore on December 29th. The flight was departing behind schedule due to passengers who did not turn up and a time consuming de-icing process. First of all, I am glad I did not take the PEY upgrade offer. Walking through the PEY section during boarding I did not experience much added value by looking at the hard product, compared to Y. The seats look pretty narrow as well and not that much pitch. The business seats look great though! The Y product is very nice in my opinion. Seats are maybe a little bit narrower than in the 77W, but the pitch was good (I am 1.80m tall, enough space), decent recline and a huge entertainment touch screen which was awesome. The overall cabin felt spacious because of the high ceilings. Also higher humidity. Great aircraft! I have to mention nonetheless, I was very dissapointed in the cabin noise level. I expected less noice compared to the 77W, but that was not the case! Yes, take off was less noisy but definitely not during the flight itself. I think it will be less noisy in front of the aircraft but not sure about that. Customer service was good (not exeptional) and the meals were delicious. I was very impressed with the food. One of the best meals I ever had on a plane! Besides, I really appreciate the metal cutlery and hot towel cloths are to die for. Overall, it was a great flight and I am looking forward to the next one! And I made my connection flight thanks to the very efficient airport of Changi.
                                Last edited by LeisureFlyer; 31 December 2016, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X