Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scoot to take over SQ's flights to Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, technically, TZ might not need 787s with crew bunks to launch flights to Europe. They could possibly do SIN-ATQ-BHX/LGW with their current 787s.

They can target the largest Sikh population in the Birmingham area, and plus, a one-stop offering to the United Kingdom will likely not pull away higher yielding traffic from SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
      I think its clear that SQ thinks otherwise. To me the CAPA report puts MAN onto the potential axe list.
      The current add-on is operationally and commercially a nightmare for SQ, but I believe that a standalone won't work either.
      I don't disagree with your analysis of SQ's thinking, but it would be against the grain of thinking from other airlines.

Standalone has worked in the past, is working for CX now, but the set up needs to be right. I think the market is strong enough to work as a standalone but adding a tag further west (of which IAD is one of a large number of possibilities) would mitigate that risk.

Comment

They may think of:

SIN-ATH-MAN
        SIN-IST-MAN

3 days a week operated by Scoot.
        They may also consider the fact they've ordered 60+ A350s, launched a brand new direct service to DUS, built up a network of codeshares with TK out of IST, spent years flying to MAN with a consistent JCL clientele, that has stuck with them regardless of the stop in MUC, and consider not totally trashing their reputation as one of the world's top full service carriers. Do you seriously think SQ are going to move their J passengers from MAN into a "ScootBiz" seat and make them stop in ATH?

Comment

Simply put, SQ needs to decide whether it wants to remain a global carrier or risk becoming a regional one.

SIA needs to move away from the mentality that every single route must be profitable - it may be necessary to offer certain routes so that overall system wide profit is increased because it captures more traffic, especially premium traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ36 View Post
            Simply put, SQ needs to decide whether it wants to remain a global carrier or risk becoming a regional one.

SIA needs to move away from the mentality that every single route must be profitable - it may be necessary to offer certain routes so that overall system wide profit is increased because it captures more traffic, especially premium traffic.
            Hear, hear!

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
              I don't disagree with your analysis of SQ's thinking, but it would be against the grain of thinking from other airlines.

Standalone has worked in the past, is working for CX now, but the set up needs to be right. I think the market is strong enough to work as a standalone but adding a tag further west (of which IAD is one of a large number of possibilities) would mitigate that risk.
              Iam not too sure if the market of SQ and CX can compare directly. I see CX much stronger there, as they are a gateway to South China and still can cover Australia and parts of SEA without turning the journey into hassle. And HKG ist still an important standalone destination.
              While SQ with a base further south is pretty much down to the Kangeroo route and parts of SEA and of course SIN itself. Not sure if that alone would make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                They may also consider the fact they've ordered 60+ A350s, launched a brand new direct service to DUS, built up a network of codeshares with TK out of IST, spent years flying to MAN with a consistent JCL clientele, that has stuck with them regardless of the stop in MUC, and consider not totally trashing their reputation as one of the world's top full service carriers. Do you seriously think SQ are going to move their J passengers from MAN into a "ScootBiz" seat and make them stop in ATH?
                60 airframes coming in over a few years, others are leaving the fleet. SQs Regional Fleet is pretty dated (the 777-300 and the 777-200) and the 777-200ER will be phased out too. Some of A300 are already leaving, as they are leased.
                With the new routes announced this year and only 11 (maybe 13) A350 delivered there are limitations in expanding the network.

MAN is struggeling (as well as other destinations), thats to me a clear message from the CAPA report. And SQ is thinking about how to deal with it. If Scoot is the answer? Iam not sure either. But to continue loss making isnt too.

And no, they would count on their "loyal" customers to go thru LHR and take a train. There 42 seats in Biz, how many of them are occupied all the way to MAN?
                Last edited by SQ025; 8 July 2016, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ36 View Post

SQs current business model is not ready for todays market. They want to maintain pricelevel in SQ and this doesnt work. Even in Asia we dont see an expansion. New routes are either MI, TR or Scoot.

But yes, every route needs to be proftable, except it is a feeder route (KL or Jakarta I would consider to be one) and you can maintain profit elsewhere.

Comment

And no, they would count on their "loyal" customers to go thru LHR and take a train. There 42 seats in Biz, how many of them are occupied all the way to MAN?
                    When flying between Australia and the UK the last thing I want is to get on the saturated west coast main line. I would fly another airline, CX is now at man so my business would go there.

Comment

I cannot see how Scoot will take over Europe. I understand they are a low cost carrier in Singapore, but their 787's do not have any PTV's. While I understand it's a LCC, for Europe, they should install some PTV's otherwise simply take SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                        I cannot see how Scoot will take over Europe. I understand they are a low cost carrier in Singapore, but their 787's do not have any PTV's. While I understand it's a LCC, for Europe, they should install some PTV's otherwise simply take SQ.
                        This is why I see very little plausability with these claims from some opinion piece in CAPA. If SQ were to pull flights off BCN and start up TZ flights, they would be serving a new clientele. It's not the same market and passengers.

If an Australian is heading from any of our ports to BCN and wants to fly on a full service airline, s/he isn't going to say, I like SQ so I will fly on a TZ budget flight. They will book a ticket with EK or QR etc. Done. Not only do SQ lose out on their patronage to BCN, they also lose them filling a seat out of the AU port to SIN as well. Result = ME3 win, SQ lose.

If Scoot starts flying to ATH, given the situation with the Greek economy, it might appeal to some Greeks who have no choice but to a fly a LCC, to fly to MEL to visit family all the way on Scoot at the time of year they choose. Different situation as the year-round flights don't currently exist, so SQ have nothing to lose, i.e. passengers currently paying for full-service, and everything to gain.

Comment

Scoot can fill seats out of OZ so there are Australians flying Scoot. And iam sure that Europe can work for Scoot.
                          Norwegian and Eurowings have started flight from Europe to BKK without PTVs an free meals. There is obviously a market for such flights.

Comment

Duplication of routes among SQ, TZ, and MI is there in many Asian stations.
                            Will be the same for Europe

Comment

Scoot can fill seats out of OZ so there are Australians flying Scoot. And iam sure that Europe can work for Scoot.
                              Norwegian and Eurowings have started flight from Europe to BKK without PTVs an free meals. There is obviously a market for such flights.
                              Flying between Australia and Singapore is a whole different ball game than flying between Australia and Europe. I for one would not fly a budget carrier for a 24+ hour journey.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                                Flying between Australia and Singapore is a whole different ball game than flying between Australia and Europe. I for one would not fly a budget carrier for a 24+ hour journey.
                                It's interesting how $$$ can make people make decisions. Sometimes all it take is the perception that it is less but may not be actually less is enough for people to go the LCC way. for one being 6ft never fly LCC for flight over 3 hrs and that's also subjective as i weigh in checked baggage cost etc and compare SQ promotions first and also take into consideration the timings. But not many people do or are aware of the many various factors.

Comment

Working...
                                X