Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scoot to take over SQ's flights to Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoot to take over SQ's flights to Europe?

Article on CAPA but behind a pay wall.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...c-route-290145

The summaries:

Scoot to announce one Europe route by the end of the year

Scoot might operate Barcelona, Rome, Manchester, Athens, Madrid.

Discuss.

If anyone with access could copy and paste the whole article, or summarise it here, that would be great.

Comment

Vienna and Berlin could be options too. More accurately, they would be on my wishlist.

Comment

Unless they come up with a more comfortable seating for longhaul, I don't see myself surviving the trip at my age.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          Unless they come up with a more comfortable seating for longhaul, I don't see myself surviving the trip at my age.
          Agreed, though I'm still a young spring chicken. It'd be as bad as traveling UA Y for the SFO-SIN direct.

Comment

The article is really long. But basically...

- Services to Europe due to launch around May 2017.
            - Possible routes: Athens, Barcelona, Madrid or taking over SIA’s services to Istanbul, Rome or Manchester.
            - Announcement of new route will likely be made in November.

Comment

The point of the A350 is to make flights like IST, FCO, BCN, MAN etc. more economical. I can't see most passengers to those destinations suddenly wanting to fly TZ. IST distributes SQ passengers to smaller cities within Europe on TK flights.

Will SQ codeshare these TZ flights? If not, how would someone book connecting flights between SQ and TZ? BER and VIE might have merit but as someone who flies SQ Y on a frequent basis and visits both of these cities at least annually, I will not be flying Scoot. I would also not be flying to BCN with them.

ATH may be taken over by TZ in order to go non-seasonal. Honestly I think the big announcement will be something safe and conservative like LGW. Remember the very first route was SYD which SQ subsequently increased its own flights to.

Comment

Absolutely agree with SQ228. As a network carrier, SQ needs to serve enough European cities with its mainline instead of transferring FCO, IST and MAN to Scoot. People in Australia and New Zealand aren't flying to Singapore to transfer to Scoot to Europe.

Where Scoot could come in is LGW or even STN, and the thinner leisure-focused destinations like BCN or ATH. If fifth freedom rights allow, it'd be cool to have SIN-ATH-BCN.

There could be enough premium traffic to Vienna to do SIN-VIE-BRU?

Comment

BCN and FCO are prime potential candidates for Handling over to TZ. Both are leisure heavy routes with intense Pricing pressure from the ME3 and light Premium cabin demand. TZ's B789 are an ideal aircraft for these routes with it's Scootbiz & EYCL product. I won't be surprise that TZ would manage a better yield than SQ on these route. In fact the Scoot Biz product has seen respectable loads on regional routes and it would be no surprise that they would be extremely popular with leisure traveller's on such routes

Comment

If Scoot took over the Manchester route I will we switch to Cathay Pacific.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                      If Scoot took over the Manchester route I will we switch to Cathay Pacific.
                      Yeah - if Scoot take over the MAN route they might as well give up. Passengers will simply switch to Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Oman, Cathay, Hainan or in the future Air China, China Eastern or possibly Air India.

MAN requires a non stop, even if it is less than daily or part of a tag further west (like the Houston or current New York routes).

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
                        MAN requires a non stop, even if it is less than daily or part of a tag further west (like the Houston or current New York routes).
                        I think its clear that SQ thinks otherwise. To me the CAPA report puts MAN onto the potential axe list.
                        The current add-on is operationally and commercially a nightmare for SQ, but I believe that a standalone won't work either.

Comment

As a long-time frequent flyer of SQ between Sydney and Rome, if they switch FCO to Scoot, I will absolutely switch to one of the other many airlines that fly this route. Not only this, I will not use SQ for any further routes as I will let my high-level FF lapse and move it to another carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                            I think its clear that SQ thinks otherwise. To me the CAPA report puts MAN onto the potential axe list.
                            The current add-on is operationally and commercially a nightmare for SQ, but I believe that a standalone won't work either.
                            Hm maybe they could split it further. Something like...
                            SIN-MUC-MAN 3x weekly
                            SIN-VIE-MAN 4x weekly
                            SIN-MUC-MAD/GVA/GOW/DUB 4x weekly

Just think that they should be doing more experimentation with the one-stops instead of looking at financial models with pessimistic assumptions.

Comment

They may think of:

SIN-ATH-MAN
                              SIN-IST-MAN

3 days a week operated by Scoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X