X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The same ST article with the infographic ran with the headline:

"SIA's new premium economy among the 'poshest'"

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...shest-20150206

Among the poshest? Really? SQ PEY looks very good, but there are some really excellent PEY products out there, so I wonder what ST's basis for comparison was.

For example BA's Premium Economy (TR here) on their 77W's is quite impressive, and Qantas has Premium Economy on their A380's (TR here) which is almost business class-like (pre-take off drinks, very substantial meals served on real china and glassware, large seat).

I would probably reserve judgement until I actually fly them before ranking them or declaring which is most posh :-)

If anyone has tried PEY on EVA, Cathay or any other carrier, I'd be keen to hear about your experiences too.

Comment

• Originally posted by yflyer View Post
      For example BA's Premium Economy (TR here) on their 77W's is quite impressive, and Qantas has Premium Economy on their A380's (TR here) which is almost business class-like (pre-take off drinks, very substantial meals served on real china and glassware, large seat).
      One needs to be careful as the various Premium Economy products are not quite targeted at the same market.

It's quite clear SIA is going after the Y customers who would buy up rather than the J customers who are going to trade down. This is pretty obvious looking at pictures of what the meals look like and the fact that PE is (relatively speaking) a small premium over a flexible Y fare.

QF's W is more like a business-lite and the pricing reflects that. I'm not sure which segment BA's W targets -- it's probably somewhere in between, much like CX.

Comment

• Originally posted by a340-313x View Post
        One needs to be careful as the various Premium Economy products are not quite targeted at the same market.

It's quite clear SIA is going after the Y customers who would buy up rather than the J customers who are going to trade down. This is pretty obvious looking at pictures of what the meals look like and the fact that PE is (relatively speaking) a small premium over a flexible Y fare.

QF's W is more like a business-lite and the pricing reflects that. I'm not sure which segment BA's W targets -- it's probably somewhere in between, much like CX.
        I would say that CX's PEY is similar to what SQ intending: a glorified Y, at least on their 77W and 3-class A330s which feature the Cirrus lie-flat J seats. By contrast, their regional J looks more like a substitute for PEY on the 2-class A330 than a genuine J hard product that one can expect from it's competitors.

And I also reserve judgment on SQ's PEY until I use it, so calling it the "poshest" is jumping to conclusions for now.

Comment

• Half-arsed adver-journalism as usual. F is F, and should be posh. J is J, and sometimes posh. PE is PE, and not posh.

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            Half-arsed adver-journalism as usual. F is F, and should be posh. J is J, and sometimes posh. PE is PE, and not posh.
            I agree but for all we know, this could be a paid piece by SQ to promote their new PY Product. Like ChiSquared suggested thats probably why they featured their Regional J instead of the more "posh" Diamond Seat and they didn't feature F- if they did, PY would only be the '3rd Class' out of 4. For most, flying J and F isnt something they'd allocate their travel budgets towards. So I guess the angle was to sell them PY by pitching it as a almost-like-J experience but without the exorbitant price tag to encourage those who are comfortable with Y to pay a little more for a somewhat premium experience.

On the other hand, the actual SQ PY product is closer to Y rather than J so for those who are paying for J, they wont be incentivised to downgrade to PY. If they created a more J-like PY product like NZ, this might happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
              The ST serves you food?
              Pretty sure it was a copy and paste (ST seems to love it these days).

Comment

• Btw, does anyone know if the planes being fitted with PEY will also have the new (2013, as in the 77WN) Y, J and F seats installed (where applicable)?

Comment

• Originally posted by chisquared View Post
                  Btw, does anyone know if the planes being fitted with PEY will also have the new (2013, as in the 77WN) Y, J and F seats installed (where applicable)?
                  77W's yes, A380's no.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    77W's yes, A380's no.
                    A350s as well, yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      77W's yes, A380's no.
                      So you mean by that they would keep the A380 with the current seats and IFE for Y, J and P and install PE seats with the latest Panasonic eX3 IFE similar to the 77WN, sound really surprising ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Durian View Post
                        So you mean by that they would keep the A380 with the current seats and IFE for Y, J and P and install PE seats with the latest Panasonic eX3 IFE similar to the 77WN, sound really surprising ?
                        eX2 system touchscreen function will be bricked on the 380

Comment

• Originally posted by Durian View Post
                          yea, ground up a380 refresh will only come in 2018 with the new deliveries of the a380s

they only refreshed / are refreshing the curent suites class a380 to be in line with the 77wn seat colors and finishing

Comment

• Originally posted by bent View Post
                            yea, ground up a380 refresh will only come in 2018 with the new deliveries of the a380s
                            Guess SQ will be keeping their A380s for quite a while then, longer than EK. EK said they would send theirs to the desert after 12-15 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by bent View Post

they only refreshed / are refreshing the curent suites class a380 to be in line with the 77wn seat colors and finishing
                              Sorry if this sounds like an amateur question, but does this mean that the A380s will continue to have the old (i.e. 2007) seats until 2018?

Comment

• I am disappointed whilst Singapore Airlines offers P Class ex-SIN, Premium Economy passengers ex-HKG can only book S Class.

That makes HK$11XXX return HKG - SIN and is $3000 more expensive than CX's Premium Economy (E Class).

I hope the marketing team can launch some promotion offer soon so HK passengers can enjoy cheap Premium Economy fares and start abandoning CX.

Comment

Working...
                                X