SIA lives under a rock: HK has NO protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIA lives under a rock: HK has NO protest

Just a highlight and reminder to SIA patrons and management. SIA lives under a rock.

On 14 Nov, I contacted SIA to cancel my HK reservations and was denied due to "there is no more ongoing protest in Hong Kong currently" (Word for word)

Regardless of how severe or mild the situation, such a OFFICIAL statement means SIA lives under a rock

Time to sell SIA shares, no future under the current management.

Originally posted by Jimmyl View Post

A bit of an overreaction? Sounds like you're short on the stock.
    The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Just a highlight and reminder to SIA patrons and management. SIA lives under a rock.

On 14 Nov, I contacted SIA to cancel my HK reservations and was denied due to "there is no more ongoing protest in Hong Kong currently" (Word for word)

Regardless of how severe or mild the situation, such a OFFICIAL statement means SIA lives under a rock

An official statement would have been a travel advisory from MFA... not an individual's opinion on the phone. In that case, like it happened with BKK in the past, changes/cancellations are allowed and free.

Comment

The protest in Hong Kong has come to the end, with police is now clearing all blockades. Therefore I don't think it is valid for you to cancel you ticket base on this reason.

Comment

Dumb answer to a dumb reason for cancelling a reservation.

Comment

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
            A bit of an overreaction? Sounds like you're short on the stock.
            Sorry, not vested. For a company management to be unaware of an ongoing event in a country so near HQ speaks volumes of it's awareness of it's competitors and operating environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Durian View Post
              An official statement would have been a travel advisory from MFA... not an individual's opinion on the phone. In that case, like it happened with BKK in the past, changes/cancellations are allowed and free.
              It's an official reply by email...not phone. Double confirmed by phone call.

When I refer to MFA advisory, the reply was, that's MFA not SIA management view.....aka not valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
                The protest in Hong Kong has come to the end, with police is now clearing all blockades. Therefore I don't think it is valid for you to cancel you ticket base on this reason.
                Are u from SIA by any chance?
                HK protest is no more?

http://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/co...201411260.html
                Travel Notice for Hong Kong [Updated: 26 November 2014]
                Protestors continue to remain in the areas around the Government Headquarters at Admiralty, Mongkok and Causeway Bay. Meanwhile, there continue to be disruptions to traffic and public transport services.
                Singaporeans travelling to or residing in Hong Kong should continue to follow the local news and monitor developments closely. They should take all necessary precautions for their personal safety, including purchasing comprehensive travel and medical insurance. They should check with their respective insurers if in doubt on the terms and conditions of their insurance coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                  Dumb answer to a dumb reason for cancelling a reservation.

Comment

just so everyone is clear, when did you book your ticket? what fare bucket (ie. fare conditions) did you book under? and what was the reason you gave for seeking cancellation?

since you raised this on a public forum, you need to expect some of the scrutiny that will be elicited. If your grounds are reasonable, I'm sure you will get support from most pple

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                      just so everyone is clear, when did you book your ticket? what fare bucket (ie. fare conditions) did you book under? and what was the reason you gave for seeking cancellation?

since you raised this on a public forum, you need to expect some of the scrutiny that will be elicited. If your grounds are reasonable, I'm sure you will get support from most pple
                      I booked before the protests started.
                      I seek cancellation as MFA has an advisory and a few travel insurance is excluding HK from coverage. Which means even if other insurance cover HK, claims due to protest is debatable as it's listed with MFA.

SIA reason was clear...NO ONGOING PROTEST in HK.
                      As of yesterday 26Nov, MFA still updated it's HK advisory.
                      Obviously, we have some SIA staff here, still keeping to company tone, HK protest is not more. If no more protest, someone better inform MFA

Comment

Protests is still ongoing here in Hong Kong. Surely you can see the fighting in the streets between the police and the protesters on TV EVERYWHERE as they had just forcefully cleared Mongkok.

The protestors camp site at Admiralty will be cleared next. Technically, today is 61st day of the protest as it is now actively reported live on the Hong Hong news channel......

Overall, the streets in Hong Kong are safe with exceptions. Until yesterday, it is not safe to go roam Mongkok main roads and Admiralty areas. Some "passerbys" were "allegedly assaulted" by the police during their clearing exercise.

(Audio)

Comment

I do not see anything resembling "Singaporeans are also strongly advised to avoid all travel to Hong Kong." in the travel advisory. Nada.

Comment

I booked before the protests started.
                            I seek cancellation as MFA has an advisory and a few travel insurance is excluding HK from coverage. Which means even if other insurance cover HK, claims due to protest is debatable as it's listed with MFA.

SIA reason was clear...NO ONGOING PROTEST in HK.
                            As of yesterday 26Nov, MFA still updated it's HK advisory.
                            Obviously, we have some SIA staff here, still keeping to company tone, HK protest is not more. If no more protest, someone better inform MFA
                            out of curiosity, i checked out MFA website:
                            a. the most recent "Travel Notices" concerns Yemen, where a line states "Singaporeans are also strongly advised to avoid all travel to Yemen."

b. on West Africa and Ebola, one line reads, "To reduce the risk of exposure to Ebola, Singaporeans should consider postponing non-essential travel to the affected areas."

On HK, MFA's notice states, "Singaporeans travelling to or residing in Hong Kong should continue to follow the local news and monitor developments closely. They should take all necessary precautions for their personal safety, including purchasing comprehensive travel and medical insurance."

I dont know whether a fellow SQtalkers in the travel industry can comment on whether MFA's notice on HK amounted to justification for airfare cancellation. My own reading, which is worth zero since I in no way can influence SQ, is MFA's assessment on HK does not include recommending SGPreans to avoid HK.

Personally, will I postpone or cancel worktrips to HK based on the current situation? No, but I will not go to Admiralty or Mongkok unless to sample tear gas or pepper spray.

Will I seek to cancel a holiday trip to HK involving family and young children? Yes, which is why I always buy the most flexible fare for personal holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                              I do not see anything resembling "Singaporeans are also strongly advised to avoid all travel to Hong Kong." in the travel advisory. Nada.
                              Agreed, so NO MORE ONGING PROTEST in HK?
                              I cannot find any advisory on India or Taiwan or Vietnam or ...but HK have because they have "nothing happening"

Comment

Working...
                              X