Cabin crew letters of commendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
    How does it differ if you send the feedback online, onboard or mail a physical letter?
    I'd imagine that feedback online gets through quicker. One of my reasons for sending a physical letter is that one goes to crew (I write another for management). It's nicer, like receiving a letter in the post v. an email or however they get notification of online feedback. I know some FAs like this and as previously mentioned, a member of this forum posted that a senior crew member recommended physical letters. And I don't want post mail to die out

Can someone chime in on how crew gets notified in general and how the onboard compliment forms get processed? Strange if the onboard forms pass through the hands of crew before management.

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
    What you write in the commendations matters most.

Saying they did well does very little for them in managements eyes. Writing that they did so well that you will fly again and recommend your friends to fly them in future is the biggest help one can do for Cabin Crew. That's acknowledged that they are a living advertisement for the airline and that does wonders for their appraisal.
    Good idea. I've never written that specifically. Having taken the time to write, I take for granted that it is implied. Or I throw in a line about how SQ's cabin service on that particular flight was above that of competitors'. Also, I take care not to be too specific (unless it was an extremely unusual situation) lest management thinks crew should be doing XYZ anyway or in case crew has done something nice but against company policy. On the latter, I recall an old post in a another forum where a happy flyer posted a letter she wrote praising an FA for showing a second film amongst other things. An FA on the forum pointed out that they could be disciplined for that due to airline-studio rights/agreements over the number of showings. Anyhow, in most situations, vague works for me as it's the little things that make the difference and I would not want management to overlook them when other crew might be doing the minimum.

Comment

Just a little tip if I may for anyone wanting to write in and praise certain crew. Try not to write in after every flight you take with them. They can see how often you travel (providing you use a FFP) and it lessens the effect if you write in after every flight raving about the crew.

SQ have more than their fair share of obsessive fanboys (and presumably girls, before anyone writes in...) who do exactly that.

Comment

In the eyes of management, compliments about crew is viewed as a given. It does not weigh under any circumstance of promotion or disciplinary process.

A complaint however, sticks. Procedurally, after 2 years, it is not considered in any event. Administratively, it is there on record.

Of course, crew and hospitality staff appreciate recognition for a well delivered service. Commendable service is usually delivered beyond what an organisation prescribes through a procedure.It comes from sincerity and a reflection of their sense of value in people relations.

For that, I thank them personally, sometimes with a small token.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflight Sup View Post
          In the eyes of management, compliments about crew is viewed as a given. It does not weigh under any circumstance of promotion or disciplinary process.

A complaint however, sticks. Procedurally, after 2 years, it is not considered in any event. Administratively, it is there on record.

Of course, crew and hospitality staff appreciate recognition for a well delivered service. Commendable service is usually delivered beyond what an organisation prescribes through a procedure.It comes from sincerity and a reflection of their sense of value in people relations.

For that, I thank them personally, sometimes with a small token.
          Wow. Surprising that compliments don't count toward promotion. I always heard otherwise.

If this really is the case this adds to a related point I made in the website thread about SQ's management being too parochial.

With a cut in the allowances, shorter layovers, no more team flying and the management not counting in passenger compliments toward career progression (The least SQ's management could do), I wonder how much longer SQ will have a competitive advantage in crew consistency.

Currently I feel they're still very consistent and do a fantastic job. But who knows.. maybe in 10 years, we'd talk about how this airline was once the creme de la creme but is now debt-ridden and has service other airlines far surpass
          Last edited by concept|infinit; 20 November 2013, 11:28 PM.

Comment

That is almost the most disappointing thing I'm hearing today. Thumbs down. It also flies in the face of what many have said is/was past practice. It doesn't sound like a new development either.

Comment

Sorry but that is not correct, or if it is it has either changed very recently or what I have been told over a period of years by senior people involved in training and running crew and also various crew members themselves was incorrect. Compliments received are all part of the evaluation process, just like complaints.

I agree with the others who find the way complaints can seriously affect their prospects, nit least as crew are sometimes unfortunately having to deal with extremely difficult and unreasonable pax.

I remember a flight from BNE-SIN a few years ago where the guy across the aisle from me in JCL was an absolute **** and treated all the crew like dirt, especially one FSS in particular. It got to the point where he informed her in no uncertain terms that he was going to make an official complaint about her and 'I know people in very senior positions in SIA so you know what that means'. I felt so sorry for the girl who was clearly upset at all this so I went to see the IFS to tell him what I had witnessed, that it was the pax and not her, and to get her name so I could write in to counter any complaint this moron was going to make, which I did.

I sincerely hope she didn't not get in any trouble over a situation that was not of her doing but with how serious SQ treats complaints you never know.

Comment

Wrote my first ever commendation to last week after a superb trip, even by SIAs standards. Really hope it reaches the crew members I mentioned, and acknowledged by senior management!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyC View Post
                  Wrote my first ever commendation to last week after a superb trip, even by SIAs standards. Really hope it reaches the crew members I mentioned, and acknowledged by senior management!
                  I hope it is!

Any definitive word on whether this helps out crew?

Comment

Working...
                  X