Singapore Airlines latest cabin products on the new B777-300ER (77WN) - 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    SWD hasn't seen any action for a week, so potentially undergoing refit.

SQ227/8 is now a 77WR flight, so that has freed up a 77WN which seems to have gone to SQ237/8. Now if they can just do something about SQ207/8...
    My guess is that they bring back the A359. Or they might upgauge to a 773.

Don't forget the new 247/248 flight too. 330 I think.

At least Melbourne is better than Brisbane. 2 out of 4 daily are operated by the 777-200ER.

Comment

• Originally posted by zilchster View Post
      My guess is that they bring back the A359. Or they might upgauge to a 773.

Don't forget the new 247/248 flight too. 330 I think.

At least Melbourne is better than Brisbane. 2 out of 4 daily are operated by the 777-200ER.
      I know, poor Brisbane. It's kind of a bonus for J passengers because the A330 J is nothing special, although some here still argue they would rather not deal with the ancient IFE on the 772ER, despite the 1-2-1 layout and flatbed.

I'm sure SQ207/8 will go A350 eventually but probably needs SQ247/8 to start first, otherwise there will be a shortfall in Y capacity if both SQ227/8 and SQ207/8 upgrade to PEY cabins.

Comment

I know, poor Brisbane. It's kind of a bonus for J passengers because the A330 J is nothing special, although some here still argue they would rather not deal with the ancient IFE on the 772ER, despite the 1-2-1 layout and flatbed.
        Im upset its not longer an A330. The J seat is is better, but the IFE and lack of power on the 772ER ruins it

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
          Im upset its not longer an A330. The J seat is is better, but the IFE and lack of power on the 772ER ruins it
          That was the other factor I couldn't remember. No in-seat power for J passengers certainly would be a negative!

Comment

That was the other factor I couldn't remember. No in-seat power for J passengers certainly would be a negative!
            There are standard power outlets in the 77E J seats.
            The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• Originally posted by chisquared View Post
              Just got off SQ305, which was flown by 9V-SWM today. PEY cabin wasn't even 50% full; only about 12 pax.

However, the aircraft did feature 3D maps. They were life-changing. Who needs to fly premium when you can sit in the back with your 3D maps?
              Every 77WN/A359 features Panasonic eX3 gets interactive 3D map. I've flown Etihad A380 from MEL-AUH on F and got those cool interactive map as well.

However, AA/QR got slightly different Thales one.

Comment

• Originally posted by GCHaviation View Post
                Every 77WN/A359 features Panasonic eX3 gets interactive 3D map. I've flown Etihad A380 from MEL-AUH on F and got those cool interactive map as well.
                Hi GCHaviation, welcome to the forum!

To contextualise, chisquared made his comment while we had a regular poster who had just a slightly passionate affection for 3-D maps... *cough*

I feel safe now to say this:

On my recent A359 flight I did experience the 3D maps. My tongue is definitely not in my cheek when I say that I don't care much for them at all. My conceptualisation is highly Cartesian, so for me, having the base map curved with all the tall lines as markers and the place names far above really threw me. I know my thinking processes are quite different from the mainstream so maybe other people find the new format easier to interpret, but I'd appreciate it if they added the simple interactivity of being able to select a fixed view. In that scenario, someone in a window seat could also select to fix their view on their relevant direction, instead of waiting for it to come around in the rotation each time.

Comment

Hi GCHaviation, welcome to the forum!

To contextualise, chisquared made his comment while we had a regular poster who had just a slightly passionate affection for 3-D maps... *cough*

I feel safe now to say this:

On my recent A359 flight I did experience the 3D maps. My tongue is definitely not in my cheek when I say that I don't care much for them at all. My conceptualisation is highly Cartesian, so for me, having the base map curved with all the tall lines as markers and the place names far above really threw me. I know my thinking processes are quite different from the mainstream so maybe other people find the new format easier to interpret, but I'd appreciate it if they added the simple interactivity of being able to select a fixed view. In that scenario, someone in a window seat could also select to fix their view on their relevant direction, instead of waiting for it to come around in the rotation each time.
                  Totally agreed why can't we select and lock the view we like

But I noticed that this is similar with other airlines too so perhaps it's a main system thing which the airlines can't customize

Comment

• Originally posted by alian View Post
                    Totally agreed why can't we select and lock the view we like

But I noticed that this is similar with other airlines too so perhaps it's a main system thing which the airlines can't customize
                    That doesn't surprise me because if the system were capable, it would be an odd thing to deliberately disable.

The possible reason I can think of is that the maps are sent via one channel from the server. In order to allow us to lock on a certain view, they would need to have the server broadcast all views concurrently as different channels. I guess there's always a finite amount of bandwidth and RAM to share around in these systems.

Comment

That doesn't surprise me because if the system were capable, it would be an odd thing to deliberately disable.

The possible reason I can think of is that the maps are sent via one channel from the server. In order to allow us to lock on a certain view, they would need to have the server broadcast all views concurrently as different channels. I guess there's always a finite amount of bandwidth and RAM to share around in these systems.
                      Having been a developer who for a while worked on similar network broadcasting projects, I can understand why they would leave out this feature. Even for simpler scenarios, it was a complex undertaking with so many different parameters to take into account, not just bandwidth and storage.

And I don't care much for these 3D maps either. I prefer 2D maps as I personally find it easier to track the flight path on those.

Comment

Actually, you can lock in a stable, "Mercator" view with the 3-D maps. At the top right is a button on the flight view screen which opens a dialogue box that has several options -- including one named "Route" which displays a static picture of the whole route. It's not dynamic, though, like the 2-D maps. The default setting for the 3-D maps seems to be "Autoplay" (after a long warm-up as "Preview") -- that's the setting where everything whirls around all the time. Makes me dizzy..............

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitterroot View Post
                          Actually, you can lock in a stable, "Mercator" view with the 3-D maps. At the top right is a button on the flight view screen which opens a dialogue box that has several options -- including one named "Route" which displays a static picture of the whole route. It's not dynamic, though, like the 2-D maps. The default setting for the 3-D maps seems to be "Autoplay" (after a long warm-up as "Preview") -- that's the setting where everything whirls around all the time. Makes me dizzy..............
                          Thanks for the tip, I'll try it next week. I'm glad I'm not the only one a bit disoriented by the glorious new 3D maps. (Even though they are truly the way of the future and have revolutionised so many people's lives!)

Comment

• I'm pretty sure CX introduced 3D non-interactive map when they took delivery of their first 77W in 2007. SQ are lightyear behind when they took delivery of new 77W in 2013 and introduced interactive one.

Comment

• Originally posted by GCHaviation View Post
                              I'm pretty sure CX introduced 3D non-interactive map when they took delivery of their first 77W in 2007. SQ are lightyear behind when they took delivery of new 77W in 2013 and introduced interactive one.
                              That would make sense as the 3D map is on the old IFE I think?

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                                That would make sense as the 3D map is on the old IFE I think?
                                The old IFE, such as on the SV-series 772 features a view which I would call a perspective view. Gives a sense of the direction the plane is heading in, but really isn't proper 3D.

Comment

Working...
                                X