Singapore Airlines latest cabin products on the new B777-300ER (77WN) - 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
    It seems like 9V-SWA has been inactive for over a week now. Does this signify a refit?
    My view on these situations is that we just keep our attention on it. Unless informed by someone working in that area of SQ that it is undergoing a refit then we need to wait to see how long it is out for, then where it begins flying to once it returns to service, provided it stays out for at least a good 4 or 5 weeks.

Right now is peak summer season with a few extra services in play, however new A350s keep arriving adding to fleet flexibility, although some A330s may be leaving. I've been known to do full audits of plane availabilities before, but at the present time with so many arrivals, departures, new routes, changed routes, schedule changes, equipment swaps, damaged aircraft and various upgrades rumoured across several plane types (A380, 77W, 773, 772), it's really not wise to make any definite predictions. It's time to just sit back and watch the circus...

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
      My view on these situations is that we just keep our attention on it. Unless informed by someone working in that area of SQ that it is undergoing a refit then we need to wait to see how long it is out for, then where it begins flying to once it returns to service, provided it stays out for at least a good 4 or 5 weeks.

Right now is peak summer season with a few extra services in play, however new A350s keep arriving adding to fleet flexibility, although some A330s may be leaving. I've been known to do full audits of plane availabilities before, but at the present time with so many arrivals, departures, new routes, changed routes, schedule changes, equipment swaps, damaged aircraft and various upgrades rumoured across several plane types (A380, 77W, 773, 772), it's really not wise to make any definite predictions. It's time to just sit back and watch the circus...
      The requirement to check all 77Ws that have not undegone checks in the oil-fuel heat exchanger affecting SWB might be yet another cause of operational changes if this needs some unplanned downtime. Quite bad timing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaniard View Post
        The requirement to check all 77Ws that have not undegone checks in the oil-fuel heat exchanger affecting SWB might be yet another cause of operational changes if this needs some unplanned downtime. Quite bad timing!
        That does in fact give a very plausible reason for SWA being out of action.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaniard View Post
          Hmm... Maybe they should also refit the plane at the same time when they are checking...

Comment

• Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
            Hmm... Maybe they should also refit the plane at the same time when they are checking...
            Has Boeing issued advisory for this check on other 77W?

Comment

• Off topic question, any reason why there is no SWC in the 77W lineup

Comment

• Originally posted by hviswanathan View Post
                Off topic question, any reason why there is no SWC in the 77W lineup
                The same question thay why no SKO or SWX (or any reg ending with X)....Simple, SQ is a superstitious airine.

Comment

• Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                  That is also my thought on this....Checking then refitting the 77W with the new GX OnAir Wifi

Comment

• Originally posted by hviswanathan View Post
                    Off topic question, any reason why there is no SWC in the 77W lineup
                    The general belief on this matter is that SQ didn't want a gigantic WC marked on the landing gear doors, possibly because they didn't want it to look like a huge pole with wheels was emerging from a gigantic toilet... Or alternately, and more likely, because it is to avoid confusion with actual "WC" markings on the plane and in documentation. If staff refer to craft by their two letter 9V-S** code, then it could easily be confusing, e.g. "WC door seal needs checking."

The lack of use of X is most likely to be because many people use X as an unknown or 'place-marker' letter. The potential for confusion is best avoided, similar to omitting I from seat numbers. I'm not aware of any superstition regarding the letter X. They do omit Row 13 in seating but this was an incredibly common practice at one time, fortunately fast disappearing.

SKO gets a bit trickier to fathom, but in a mirror it would read as "OK" sort of... I don't believe the objection to having a plane marked as KO for knock-out being a concern. Personally I'd rather fly a big KO than an STD, which also can be confused with an abbreviated "standard".

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikana View Post
                      Has Boeing issued advisory for this check on other 77W?
                      GE issued a service bulletin for the check back in December 2014 - but that was right after SWB's engine went into the engine shop for maintenance. Implementation of the bulletin was, presumably, going to be carried out as part of routine maintenance - which SWB's engine just finished when the SB was released.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                        Personally I'd rather fly a big KO than an STD, which also can be confused with an abbreviated "standard".
                        I think the acronym STD stands for something much worse than "standard" to a lot of people...

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                          I think the acronym STD stands for something much worse than "standard" to a lot of people...
                          I'm aware of that... My implications are subtle!

Comment

• Deleted
                            Last edited by jaywell; 3 August 2016, 05:53 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

Comment

• Deleted

Comment

• Hello
                                Just joined SQ talk
                                Any news for SIngapore Melbourne SQ 237 aircraft type for January 2017 on wards?

Comment

Working...
                                X