Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by a340-313x View Post
    Just a guess:

1. Lessors want a lot of money to extend leases on the A333s so some of them are going back to the lessors, which means more than a couple of the older B777s will stay since they are owned by SQ.

2. The old Y seats and IFE coming off the B77Ws being retrofitted will probably end up in some of the older B777s as it's a waste to just chuck them away.
    Good guess

Comment

• I really hope SQ doesn't end up retrofitting the B777-200's, but instead accelerate their retirement. I can't wait for the A350-900's to enter service because the B777-200's are far too old and outdated, especially their entertainment systems which seem to be from the stone age.
      Last edited by jaywell; 7 June 2015, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
        I really hope SQ doesn't end up retrofitting the B777-200's, but instead accelerate their retirement. I can't wait for the A350-900's to enter service because the B777-200's are far too old and outdated, especially their entertainment systems which seem to be from the stone age.
        Yes you definitely can tell its age from the state of the cabin. The (economy) products currently being offered on 9V-SQ*, SR*, SV* and SY* are quite lacklustre as compared to what the competition is offering.

Comment

• Originally posted by FSJZ View Post
          Yes you definitely can tell its age from the state of the cabin. The (economy) products currently being offered on 9V-SQ*, SR*, SV* and SY* are quite lacklustre as compared to what the competition is offering.
          As well as the Business Class product. I recently took a round-trip to Perth on an B777-200 (SQ213) and back on an A330-300 (SQ224), and you can really tell the difference in the lack of programs in the IFE. Also, SQ didn't even bother upgrading the ancient controller on the B777-200 and the moving map is terrible compared to the newer one on the A330. And finally, I find it comical that SQ is retiring newer A330's over much older B777's... Can't they extend the leases? What happened to their image of having a young fleet?

Comment

• Just took flight SQ638 SIN-NRT
            Didn't get the refurbished 777

Comment

And finally, I find it comical that SQ is retiring newer A330's over much older B777's... Can't they extend the leases? What happened to their image of having a young fleet?
              Yes unfortunately they do not have much say over leases and it is more cost effective to use their own aircraft instead. Their average fleet age is 7.3 years, which is not too bad, but once the newer A330s start leaving, the average fleet age will start increasing.

Comment

And finally, I find it comical that SQ is retiring newer A330's over much older B777's... Can't they extend the leases? What happened to their image of having a young fleet?
                Yep, makes no sense at all. But balance sheets trump everything apparently- dare to question the power of financial systems and you'll be called a fool!

Comment

As well as the Business Class product. I recently took a round-trip to Perth on an B777-200 (SQ213) and back on an A330-300 (SQ224), and you can really tell the difference in the lack of programs in the IFE. Also, SQ didn't even bother upgrading the ancient controller on the B777-200 and the moving map is terrible compared to the newer one on the A330. And finally, I find it comical that SQ is retiring newer A330's over much older B777's... Can't they extend the leases? What happened to their image of having a young fleet?
                  The main feature of the upcoming refit is new IFE, in addition to new Y seats.

In fact, sources tell me one of the SR* birds is already flying around with the new IFE, but with old refurbished seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by timandthecity View Post
                    Just took flight SQ638 SIN-NRT
                    Didn't get the refurbished 777
                    Dont worry. This seems to happen on this flight.

Flew 638 a while back and wasn't even on a 77W, got "downgraded" to a 773.

Comment

• Originally posted by sq_a380 View Post

In fact, sources tell me one of the SR* birds is already flying around with the new IFE, but with old refurbished seats.
                      Has the refit been made official? Which birds are scheduled for the refit and what will be refitted?

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the old refurbished seats can support the new IFE systems (unless it's only for Business Class). And is there any official link/source confirming the refit? It's very surprising that SQ chose to upgrade the regional B772's for the second time.

Comment

• Originally posted by FSJZ View Post
                          Has the refit been made official? Which birds are scheduled for the refit and what will be refitted?
                          Official yes. Made public I don't think so. Selected SR/SQ/SV/SY birds will have IFE upgraded to a standard similar to ex2, and Y refitted with the 2006 Y found on the 77W.

Comment

Could that one jet be 9V-SRJ? It seemed to be out of service for a while but has now returned to service.

Comment

Official yes. Made public I don't think so. Selected SR/SQ/SV/SY birds will have IFE upgraded to a standard similar to ex2, and Y refitted with the 2006 Y found on the 77W.
                              Great news! Please do keep us updated on the refit progress. You seem to have an accurate source for such information.

Comment

Could that one jet be 9V-SRJ? It seemed to be out of service for a while but has now returned to service.
                                Probably not in this case- it's one of the oldest and it mainly hangs about as a spare plane or gets sent to BKK once a day. It may see more use when SQ throws on a bunch of extra 772ER flights to IST, MXP and FCO in the coming weeks and months.

Comment

Working...
                                X