Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many op-ups have you gotten? report them here! Share your joy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    Arrived at check-in at FRA yesterday for SQ26 to JFK. Handed the ticket over and confirmed I was in 22K. He said it wasn't available, and just before I got start my 'discussion' about this he said 'would a seat in First Class be ok ?'
    I can't imagine anyone saying "NO" to that question!
    My Cafe Adventures
    Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
    http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by QSG View Post
      If this is only for SQ............ then only once Y-C FUK/SIN too many package tourists in the back and the NH check-in staff said I was one of only 3 (any *A Elite) on the flight !
      I had the luxury of having a large bunch of bad-mannered, loud-mouthed packaged tourists accompany me on SQ632 (SIN-BKK) two months back. Why didn't the SATS check-in staff upgrade me?
      My Cafe Adventures
      Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
      http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

I can't believe it - my first Op-up !

I was on holiday with my family in SYD, and returned yesterday SYD-SIN on SQ232.
        We were at the check-in counter when an SQ manager approached me saying they were oversold in Y, and there was a chance one or all 4 of us would be upgraded.
        Later in SYD SKL, was disappointed when they checked and said "Sorry, not today" - but after waiting a while then pestering them again, and speaking to the manager again, he finally gave me an op-up - so I let my wife go to the J seat to enjoy herself and stayed in Y with the 2 kids.
        Still can't believe I was so lucky to get an upgrade on such a popular sector and a decently long flight !
        J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
          Still can't believe I was so lucky to get an upgrade on such a popular sector
          Congrats!

However, isn't the reason why you got the opup in the first place because it was popular?

Comment

I was on holiday with my family in SYD, and returned yesterday SYD-SIN on SQ232.
            We were at the check-in counter when an SQ manager approached me saying they were oversold in Y, and there was a chance one or all 4 of us would be upgraded.
            Later in SYD SKL, was disappointed when they checked and said "Sorry, not today" - but after waiting a while then pestering them again, and speaking to the manager again, he finally gave me an op-up - so I let my wife go to the J seat to enjoy herself and stayed in Y with the 2 kids.
            Still can't believe I was so lucky to get an upgrade on such a popular sector and a decently long flight !
            Congrats!!
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Congrats, Upright Man! SQ loves you...

Comment

Got some CX/KA-love last Monday. Op-upped on CGK-HKG-PVG.

Comment

I only got bumped up to C once. Last year I was flying from VIE via AUH to TPE with a CI Airbus A330 and had a connecting flight to HKG on a Boeing 747-400. After a long journey in kettle class to TPE, I got bumped up to C and finally rode on the upper deck This has been one of my dreams!

I hope to get bumped up once in a while again ... paying business class is not funny at all if you pay your flights yourself as a starving student
                  Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Congrats, upright man! Your gesture must have earned you a lot of brownie points with your wife.

Congrats as well, StarG.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post

However, isn't the reason why you got the opup in the first place because it was popular?
                      Yes, that's an interesting observation.
                      Previously I had the impression that op-ups happen to less popular sectors like MNL where J is near empty and a QPP/TPP may be bumped up as a privilege (I remember one SQTalker telling me that's what happened to him MNL-SIN).

jjpb3 : thanks ! Well, sadly I think my wife didn't fully appreciate what a rare and wonderful thing an op-up is (her initial response was "what ? only you were upgraded ? can't they upgrade all 4 of us ?). She also didn't drink any champagne, and hardly ate 'enough' of the food !
                      J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

I forgot about this thread!

I've only ever been upgraded once and that was this August - BA SIN-LHR - at the gate when I was told that they had to change my carefully chosen J seat but before I could protest, I noticed that they'd wrote 1A instead!

(It was a 777 so 1A wasn't the best, being disturbed by the galley in front, but I couldn't really complain!)

My brother has had a few op-ups to WT+ and CW from BA in the past despite having no status with BA and buying the cheapst Y tix, e.g. this month, op-up'ed to WT+ going to YVR and op-up'ed to new CW (with the floppy bed) on the way back!

Comment

Once ! Luggage was 10kg overweight ( that's after removing about 2kg off into my carry on ) and flight was full. The staff stared angrily at me, said that's not good enough and walked away. When she came back, I thought I am done and she is going to bark some more. She promptly issued a BP and said my luggages are fine. BP reads Club World. Awesome!
                          Aim High

Comment

Time to add my latest op up experience in July then. I was booked to travel on BA WTP, and had carefully selected a nice bulkhead seat. At the BKK transfer desk, I was given a BP with a different seat number to the one I'd selected. This was the new Mid J aircraft and I wasn't familiar with the seat numbering then, and I immediately thought that I'd been seat shifted. I was also distracted with harry potter. But upon a 2nd look at the BP I realised that I'm going to be flying in Club World. Pity the onboard experience was marred by one very spiteful purser... rest of the story here: http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=43
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 29 September 2007, 03:19 PM.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Well, I've just had a nice long read of this thread and found it very entertaining!

My congrats go to upright man who was most chivalrous!

Now for the bad news...

My only "op up" ever was from Y to the cockpit of a 747-300 from a big city in Asia to LAX. (This was a long time before 9/11). Also got another op-up from Y to the cockpit of another 737-300 from the same big Asian city to BNE. This time I was "asked" if I'd like to stay for the landing into BNE.
                              Well, what could I do but accept, of course. It was an unforgettable experience.

The carrier was none other than TRAITOR AIR!!!!!!

That I am still more loyal to SQ speaks volumes about the service I get on SQ in Y.
                              "First to Fly" the Airbus A380.
                              www.FirstToFly.net

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                                Got some CX/KA-love last Monday. Op-upped on CGK-HKG-PVG.
                                CGK-HKG is a sector that's frequently oversold....so, it's very likely if you are Silver or above, you will get op-upped.

See whether CX still loves me tomorrow....going back on CX780, SUB-HKG.

Comment

Working...
                                X