Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London change to 2 A380's/day

According to http://airlineroute.net/2013/05/24/sq-lhr-jan14/

As per 24MAY13 GDS timetable/inventory display, Singapore Airlines from 31DEC13 is adjusting planned Airbus A380 operation on Singapore – London Heathrow route. SQ306/305 will change from A380 to Boeing 777-300ER, which sees A380 operation reduces from 3 to 2 daily.

SQ306 SIN0115 – 0720LHR 77W D
    SQ308 SIN0900 – 1510LHR 388 D
    SQ318 SIN1255 – 1905LHR 77W D
    SQ322 SIN2345 – 0555+1LHR 388 D

SQ317 LHR1055 – 0735+1SIN 388 D
    SQ305 LHR1515 – 1155+1SIN 77W D
    SQ319 LHR1815 – 1455+1SIN 77W D
    SQ321 LHR2205 – 1845+1SIN 388 D

Looks like the 388's could be making way for the 77Ws with new F and J products.

Comment

Not a surprise with the loads and cancellations recently. They would be better off going back to three a day.

Comment

Is it me or do those timings and equipment not quite work unless the 318 77W spends almost 20 hours in London?

Comment

Originally posted by mr_botak View Post
          Is it me or do those timings and equipment not quite work unless the 318 77W spends almost 20 hours in London?
          Not quite correctly updated there i suspect.

Comment

The timings are matching what is offered online on SQ's webpage.

Comment

Agreed. These would be very unworkable. My suspicion is that SQ308 should read 77W and SQ318 should read 388. That matches the long held pattern and makes LHR arrivals match up with departures.

Comment

Hmmm, so if we're lucky it's simply a return the nicer schedule on 319 and it remains an A380 - that'd be nice to say the least.

Comment

Just wondering if a transatlantic crossing could be factored in?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    Just wondering if a transatlantic crossing could be factored in?
                    Didn't SQ consider doing LHR-JFK now and then?

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                      Didn't SQ consider doing LHR-JFK now and then?
                      They did.

I think this might work.

A 8pm or thereabouts LHR departure for SQ318 will equate an approx midnight arrival in JFK. Then a 1am or so JFK departure will give an approx 1pm LHR arrival in time for SQ305 to depart LHR at 1515

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                        They did.

I think this might work.

A 8pm or thereabouts LHR departure for SQ318 will equate an approx midnight arrival in JFK. Then a 1am or so JFK departure will give an approx 1pm LHR arrival in time for SQ305 to depart LHR at 1515
                        Is there really any point though ?. BA/AA basically have an hourly shuttle service between LHR and JFK. Add numerous daily VS flights, plus the BA, VS and UA/CO flight to EWR as well as the DL (I know, I know...) LHR-JFK flights and you'd have to think there are better places to use the aircraft.

It might have made a bit of sense a few years back when SQ were looked on as being up on some sort of pedestal with all other airlines gazing up in admiration. But those days have long gone I'm afraid, there is not much of a gap these days and those that have caught up generally have wesbites that work.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          Is there really any point though ?. BA/AA basically have an hourly shuttle service between LHR and JFK. Add numerous daily VS flights, plus the BA, VS and UA/CO flight to EWR as well as the DL (I know, I know...) LHR-JFK flights and you'd have to think there are better places to use the aircraft.

It might have made a bit of sense a few years back when SQ were looked on as being up on some sort of pedestal with all other airlines gazing up in admiration. But those days have long gone I'm afraid, there is not much of a gap these days and those that have caught up generally have wesbites that work.
                          It's not how many flights are there, it's about how much money you can make. Fares on LHR-JFK are very juicy and opposite to FRA-SIN where the margins are extremely low, SQ might make a lot more money on the LHR-JFK route.

Having said that, I would not fly SIN to JFK with a midnight arrival and on the return I would also not be a fan as - opposite to the current non-stop - one would not arrive in SIN in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                            It's not how many flights are there, it's about how much money you can make. Fares on LHR-JFK are very juicy and opposite to FRA-SIN where the margins are extremely low, SQ might make a lot more money on the LHR-JFK route.
                            You're kidding, aren't you? Achieved fares LHR-JFK are significantly lower than published fares, as the vast majority of business travellers are on corporate deals. SQ would have to discount further to reflect the fact that it doesn't have the near hourly service that BA/AA and VS/DL can offer. Finally SQ would have to secure a further pair of slots at LHR for an average of £15m per pair*

Other than that, it's a totally genius idea for making money...

*by the way, did SQ ever disclose how much it paid SAA for the Cape Town slot pair?

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                              But with just one daily flight against an hourly shuttle how much of the corporate business are they going to get ?. As kt74 points out, there are some heavy corporate discounts given out on the route due to the competition that is already there.

Comment

Working...
                              X