July 9 - 11 : SQ presents new F and J seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pungpui View Post
    I've flown Virgin Australia's J class long-haul a number of times and handful of times on Emirates A380 J class and haven't had any problems with rowdy passengers, all to/from Australian cities.
    If you look carefully you will see the question wasn't aimed at you.

Comment

i'd probably be one of the loud drunks
      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

There was this SQ flight I once took. HKG-SIN. Entire F cabin was like a rowdy bar.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
          There was this SQ flight I once took. HKG-SIN. Entire F cabin was like a rowdy bar.
          Sounds familiar.
          Can recall some blurry images matching your description.

Comment

Back to topic... I am guessing that there'd be very little change to the J seat (since it is still manual flip up)... maybe better recline and hopefully more comfortable seating contour?

Bed-side, maybe improved beddings so that it will not feel so hard on the back.

Since the IFE has most scope for change, I am guessing larger HD screen, improved controller (perhaps a small side screen with touch-screen control on the arm-rest?). I think the headphones are due for change too.

Guesses... only....

Comment

Are they going to design a new Y seat? Hopefully, the IFE screen will be touchscreen like Garuda and Malaysia Airlines.

On a side note, why don't SQ use leather seats for economy class? Isn't leather cleaner and easier to clean? Cloth will absorb any liquid spilled onto it, making the seat look very dirty, but for leather, you can just easily wipe off.

On another side note, I hope MI redesigns their cabins. Their cabins are so old and lagging behind other regional airlines. Malaysia Airlines and Garuda are some very good examples of nice regional seats. Hopefully, they will redesign in time for the arrival of the 737 MAX

Comment

Originally posted by FSJZ View Post
                Are they going to design a new Y seat? Hopefully, the IFE screen will be touchscreen like Garuda and Malaysia Airlines.
                No touchscreens please! Imagine a kid behind you tapping the screen when playing a game while you're trying to sleep.

Comment

I read somewhere that the SQ Y IFE monitor has the capability to be a touchscreen but is not in use as the screens are further than what would be a comfortable distance to reach as a touchscreen.

Comment

My guess is not so much touchscreen on the main monitor but on side controllers (mini-LCDs) for J.

As for Y, frankly... not much anything can be done that amounts to any quantum leap in seat design or comfort.

The key limiter is space - width and length. With the advent of super-cheap budget airlines, I think it is quite unlikely that Y will see changes in these areas as tehy compromise profit per pax.

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
                      My guess is not so much touchscreen on the main monitor but on side controllers (mini-LCDs) for J.
                      Having used the EK F/J touchscreen system on numerous occasions, I consider that generation of touchscreen technology to be a waste of time. Who needs or wants to have multiple key-presses on an unresponsive screen just to adjust your seat or headset volume?

This trend is rather like the first generations of in-car controllers like the BMW iDrive, which looked cool but were unintuitive and a total waste of time.

If SQ is indeed heading down this route, I hope the system will be a lot better than EK's. (AND NOT DEVELOPED BY THE SAME PEOPLE WHO DID THE WEBSITE... )

Comment

Honestly if they wanted touchscreens they'd be better off embedding iPads with preloaded content into the seat with only the displays 'touchable'. We'd end up looking at a nice, sharp Retina screen. Probably be a heck of a weight saving, also. Can't be that hard to implement, wonder why more airlines don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          Honestly if they wanted touchscreens they'd be better off embedding iPads with preloaded content into the seat with only the displays 'touchable'. We'd end up looking at a nice, sharp Retina screen. Probably be a heck of a weight saving, also. Can't be that hard to implement, wonder why more airlines don't do it.
                          Maybe because the people in charge all have cataracts?

I agree that is more useful than touchscreen whatevers.... anything that is pressed upon (esp in frustration) will not last. But looking at the trend, it does seem to me to point that way.

For me, a good comfortable seat, better food (preferably pre-orderable before flight) and decent wine are what I would appreciate most in a flight. IFE is next down the line, not foremost.

Comment

I've always hated oil handprints, hairprints on the windows. OCD. If they want to put in touchscreens, they better make sure it's clean before every flight or have a surface that's not so reflective will be my recommendation. What I don't see or smell won't bother me.

<OT begin>: on my last flight, there was a tear on the leather J seat; bothered me every time I saw it. SQ needs to fix these things including toilet seats that look as if they've been glued back. <OT end>

Comment

Agree with you, CarbonMan - but you wouldn't want to know what's on the current touchscreens even on the existing ones like on TG...

Comment

My hot towels usually run double duty cleaning my phone/iPad. Guess there might be a third use soon enough...

Comment

Working...
                                X