July 9 - 11 : SQ presents new F and J seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
    The question was: do people really need doors? LX new F, QF F and others are offering more than enough privacy without the need for doors.

Doors slow down service, make it more difficult to interact with crew and if the space is too enclosed the feel of space gets lost.
    I for one think having doors in First is a good idea.
    Doors can be left open for those who want more interactions with other passengers or crew, and during meal service.

Space is not an issue with Suites so even with doors it does not feel very claustrophobic. That's why we need doors in First, but -- most of all -- more space in First!

Comment

The question was: do people really need doors? LX new F, QF F and others are offering more than enough privacy without the need for doors.

Doors slow down service, make it more difficult to interact with crew and if the space is too enclosed the feel of space gets lost.
      It really depends on the design of the cabin. Emirates uses doors and the design flows to blend in to include the privacy. ie, thats why there is the mini bar and so forth...

For SQ purpose, as much as some people may like to claim that SQ can do no wrong and it is their favourite airline no matter what, their recent redesign simply justify that the first rollout wasn't thought through carefully.

The latest rollout is simply a modification on current First and Business class seats and their press releases indicate they have no plans to retrofit current aircraft and only intend to fit it onto new 77w to be delivered. one later this year and the rest from april next year.

Comment

How can the outcome for a) be different for both seats occupying the same space?
        I was giving them the benefit of the doubt until I've tried it that the minor redesign might be more conducive for spending time with your partner... As I said, maybe.

Simple really. Doors can be left open for those who want them open. And closed for those who want them closed. As I was alluding to in my earlier post, I think this is an option for the F passenger which justifies the premium over J.

Comment

• Originally posted by StarG View Post
          Doors can be left open for those who want more interactions with other passengers or crew, and during meal service.
          From my personal experience, the higher the class of travel, the lower the probability of any interaction between pax. If one is open to and desires interaction, always choose Y; applies to trains as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            From my personal experience, the higher the class of travel, the lower the probability of any interaction between pax. If one is open to and desires interaction, always choose Y; applies to trains as well!
            I (partially) disagree. I think there is a lot of involuntary interaction in Y.* However F (in my infrequent experiences) has always been a nice place to do some networking - meet and chat with people on long hauls.

I feel there is an argument for doors but ONLY if the height of the seat walls/frame is high enough to warrant them. I find them rather pointless in EK's F as the walls of the seat aren't all that high and I think they'd be just as useless in SQ's current F.

I find that SQ's R seat walls are at the optimum height. They aren't high enough to give a claustrophobic feel and they aren't low enough that every crew member or occasional pax walking up and down can look at you.

*Sometimes this can be a blessing in disguise for single travellers.
            The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
              I (partially) disagree.
              I agree to (partially) disagree.

Comment

I (partially) disagree. I think there is a lot of involuntary interaction in Y.* However F (in my infrequent experiences) has always been a nice place to do some networking - meet and chat with people on long hauls.
                Ah, selective networking with high net worth pax?

As for "involuntary interaction", am not quite clear what you mean by that, Viraj735. I was on SQ21 a couple of years ago, and was seated right across the aisle from Maria Sharapova. Would you define me as trying to have an "involuntary interaction" with her?

Comment

As for "involuntary interaction", am not quite clear what you mean by that, Viraj735. I was on SQ21 a couple of years ago, and was seated right across the aisle from Maria Sharapova. Would you define me as trying to have an "involuntary interaction" with her?
                  Maria Sharapova flies Economy class???

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    Maria Sharapova flies Economy class???
                    If you read the earlier posts more carefully you would find the answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                      If you read the earlier posts more carefully you would find the answer.
                      I already know the answer, it was in jest. Obviously she doesn't.

The first mention of "involuntary" interaction is when viraj735 talks about travelling in Y.

Comment

There was no malicious intent in my post. I have no preference to network with high net worth pax.

I worded my post badly whilst trying to incorporate some humour in the first line which evidently went down like a lead balloon. By involuntary I mean people trying to get in or out of seats middle or window seats and accidental bumping that may occur. I try my best to strike up conversations in Y with people that are friendly and seem willing to talk. I first met my ex-girlfriend in the Y cabin of an SQ 777.

I just find F to be easier to interact in as the cabin is smaller and has a more intimate atmosphere. Same goes for the forward J cabin.

Humble apologies if I came across as implying anything else.
                        The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                          Since nowadays you can easily get a flat-bed and decent sleep in J, F needs to offer:

(a) a seat or bed space big enough where a travelling couple can comfortably hang out together,
                          and/or,
                          Other than the obvious issues which are well documented, the lack of an ottoman of some description to allow couple to dine together is something sadly lacking. While I spent most of my time at FL350 or thereabouts just wishing the time away these days, if I am travelling on holiday with SWMBO it is nice to dine together, not least as it is generally a special occasion for her.

Comment

I worded my post badly whilst trying to incorporate some humour in the first line which evidently went down like a lead balloon.
                            I got the joke. Thought it was quite funny.

I think we often skim posts at times and only pick up on the keywords and our brain fills in the gaps. I know I've made that error in the past. Once three or four people start heading on different tangents from subsequent posts, it can be hard to decipher what's going on.

Comment

There was no malicious intent in my post. I have no preference to network with high net worth pax.

I worded my post badly whilst trying to incorporate some humour in the first line which evidently went down like a lead balloon. By involuntary I mean people trying to get in or out of seats middle or window seats and accidental bumping that may occur. I try my best to strike up conversations in Y with people that are friendly and seem willing to talk. I first met my ex-girlfriend in the Y cabin of an SQ 777.

I just find F to be easier to interact in as the cabin is smaller and has a more intimate atmosphere. Same goes for the forward J cabin.

Humble apologies if I came across as implying anything else.
                              Absolutely no apologies required, Viraj735! I think we forumers should always be light-hearted where possible. The stresses of work travel is already enough to get one down at times, one doesn't need distractions like this forum to add to it! I was merely needling you a bit on the "high net worth" comment.

When on personal travel, that's when I'm mostly in the mood to connect, I travel mostly in Y (apart from the occasional very long haul). That's where I've met many people who have become acquaintances all over the world. From zookeepers, to Hollywood screenwriters, to Timberland's chief security officer to someone who buys soil to extend Singapore's ever enlarging land mass; meeting them have been a great eye-opener to me, and makes a long-haul feel short.

Unfortunately I can't add Maria to the list. She was suffering from an early exit in a tournament and was constantly "consoled" by her then boyfriend. That's where, psychologically, there's a bit of a barrier in forward cabins. If she was in Y, I wouldn't have hesitated a moment to pull out my 7d and give her a burst. I would've considered it a "public" area for a celebrity. But in J and F, I think we buy not only a premium seat but some quiet privacy as well. Hence the reluctance on my part to start any conversation.

Comment

That's where, psychologically, there's a bit of a barrier in forward cabins. If she was in Y, I wouldn't have hesitated a moment to pull out my 7d and give her a burst. I would've considered it a "public" area for a celebrity. But in J and F, I think we buy not only a premium seat but some quiet privacy as well. Hence the reluctance on my part to start any conversation.
                                That's why I fly First. No one is forcing you into a discussion and you don't need wear your big sunglasses all the time... Social interactions between passengers in First are usually non-existent.

Comment

Working...
                                X