July 9 - 11 : SQ presents new F and J seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
    Infographics from the ST today comparing J and Y seats. Kudos to them.

Emirates economy is definitely not the newest. Newest has 12.1" touchscreen tv.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
      How do they arrive at 132 inches JCL pitch??
      Maybe there is smallprints that says "Only applicable to row 11"
      My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• It's a singaporean newspaper - so take that with a pinch of salt. If you've flown CX's cirrus - you'll know it's a LOT more comfortable than silly numbers.... and as of now, I prefer it to SQ's current seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
          Don't be silly. It's currency fluctuations. One Singaporean inch is half a metric inch. Nevermind the fact that inches aren't metric.

Just like how 5 malaysian minutes = 2 metric hours.

Reminds me. I need to change some Surabayan Rupiahs and also some Jakartan rupiahs for my trip next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by bent View Post
            Business class bed has now shrunk in width but increased in length:

Old: 30" x 76"
            New: 28" x 78"
            Thanks for this. What are the changes to F?

Originally posted by UMD View Post
            Am I the only one who finds the new upgrade rather disappointing? Y probabaly has the most improvement with its thick nice padding and the new IFE screen. C somehow looks very clautrophobic to me now that they have shrunk the width and F actually reminds me of the current C with a more plush material built around the seat. If we look at some of the new F pictures, it seems that sleeping area has shrunk as well.

The challenge with SQ is that they did outdo themselves by leaps and bounds when they launched the current C back in 2007. It was truly a "WOW" moment then with the widest seats in a 1 - 2- 1 config on its 77W. F seemed like an after thought then especially when compared to Skysuites and unfortunately it still does now.
            Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            I'm really quite surprised and disappointed that the latest F does not have doors for maximum privacy.

I imagine that they don't want to cannibalise Suites, but guess they haven't noticed that their own very good J product and EK F are already doing that?

If they can have a class leading J product, which J undoubtedly is, why have such a half-hearted F product??
            Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            Had a chance to look at them. They don't look uncomfortable by any stretch of the imagination, but i'm underwhelmed. There is no itch, there is no "die die must try" feeling here.

The first thing I did when they launched the seats back in 2006 was book a ticket to paris.

The first thing I did when i saw this yesterday was watch True Blood instead.
            Completely Agree!

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            Unless you're BA, who seem to work in ten to fifteen year cycles and seem to get away with it.

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            I'm with you there. THAT'S some pitch!
            HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              Thanks for this. What are the changes to F?
              F goes from 71" to 82" and SQ puts an end to the 'widest seat in the sky'-nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                Don't be silly. It's currency fluctuations. One Singaporean inch is half a metric inch. Nevermind the fact that inches aren't metric.
                That's what she said
                Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                F goes from 71" to 82" and SQ puts an end to the 'widest seat in the sky'-nonsense.
                No more cutouts in F?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  I use the coat hanger to hang my own Bose headphones, quite convenient .
                  I do exactly the same thing. Hang the strap from the coat hanger clip. It's perfect for that.

Comment

• i wonder if my UA miles can be used yet? or still blocked

Comment

• A few thoughts having just been to see the display...

The JCL looks good. Of course it was already a great product and the tweaks look to have made it better. The main problem of lack of recline has been addressed although the limited amount of time we had to actually try them didn't allow to check in too much detail. The extra storage space will be handy even though lack of such was not something I thought was a problem. I do like the new colours.

F was the one that needed a real improvement and I am disappointed that they haven't gone for a new product altogether with that. It does indicate that SQ can't really seem to be able to decide what they want to do with their F products at the moment. The extra few inches in flat mode will be welcome and it certainly looks better than before, which isn't saying much granted.

YCL I have to say was the one that seemed to have improved the most. Granted it's a while since I flew long haul in Y on SQ but the seat, screen and handset seemed excellent. I agree with the others that the touchscreen will undoutedly cause issue when the morons who think it's Thump Screen not Touch Screen get to work on an overnight flight. I was winding up the FSS who was 'promoting' the YCL seats and she said I wasn't the first to mention that.

The event was resonably well put together but they clearly either invited too many people or haven't allocated enough time for them all. YCL was fine but for the J and FCL they were making it clear we should 'move along quickly now' after literally a few minutes viewing. The lady in the bulkhead F seat seemed particularly peeved about people wanting to actually sit on the seat to try it out, surely the whole idea of the event.

Of course there is no substitute to trying the things first hand on a long flight so that will give a far better indication of the wuality of the products. First flight will be to LHR, date still unknown. Three times a week when they get the first bird, then daily when the next one arrives and the third one will see a shorter flight get it. SYD was metioned as a possibility.
                      Last edited by MAN Flyer; 11 July 2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                        So did the width remain the same?
                        HUGE AL

Comment

You might have noticed that they have stopped the ridiculous marketing non-sense about 'the widest seat in the sky'.

The seat has now a defined seating are which has moved to the side and the legroom is aligned with that.

I am invited tonight, will share my insight tomorrow.

Comment

• Speaking of touch screen, does that sense by "pressure" or "infra-red"? Most of our smart phones are now based on "infra-red"...

Comment

The width of the actual sleeping/feet area is narrower due to a new storage 'box' they have fitted under the TV screen to the right hand side. They have also made the walls slightly higher and curved them in as well as bigger divider screens between 1C/D and 2C/D.

I've got some pictures but I am sure someone else will get them up quicker than I will. Where did StarG get to ?
                              Last edited by MAN Flyer; 11 July 2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by j.lin View Post
                                Speaking of touch screen, does that sense by "pressure" or "infra-red"? Most of our smart phones are now based on "infra-red"...
                                He did say something about that being like smart phones but I didn't catch the exact words. The new handsets for the IFE look more like smart phones than IFE controls. The screen on them is huge compared to earlier versions.

Comment

Working...
                                X