No announcement yet.

772ER refitted J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But of course, SQI and SRN were never meant for long hauls. made them as 777-200ERS but sq installed the less powerful trent 884 than the 892 found on the SV series. and they derated all the 884s on the SQ and SR series to operate them as 777-200 but with higher resale value since they can be re-rated. However, in 2010, sq leased 6 777-200ERS to Royal Brunei, so they re-rated SQI and SRN after their refit to serve NZ, 1 for AKL, 1 for CHC. but that lasted only till early 2011 when they freed up some 772ERs. while i am sure these birds can travel as far as "real"772ERs, they have differences in their engine type and it also has less trust than the trent 892.

Comment

• Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
      Are the beds on these shorter? I slept in 12A of SVI recently and it felt shorter than usual.
      SVI is a refitted 777-200ER and it features the NEW J class found on the newer A380s. They have less seat pitch than the spacebeds, but they are wider.

Comment

• Originally posted by JonLee View Post
        SVI is a refitted 777-200ER and it features the NEW J class found on the newer A380s. They have less seat pitch than the spacebeds, but they are wider.
        savage25 is a very regular flyer on these seats. His questions pertains to the pitch on the 772ER refit vs the 77W and 380 J seats, NOT the spacebed - and the answer is yes, it's somewhat less for some strange reason.

Comment

• They've added an extra row so the pitch has definitely gone down.

Comment

• The difference in 884 vs 892 is also related to MTOW which determines landing cost; the higher the MTOW the higher the cost; 884s are rated 263MT and 892s are rated at 297MT if I'm not wrong. No point paying more for something not needed if SQ do not fill the plane pass 263MT.

The SQx are fitted with bottled oxygen whereas the SRx/SVx carry chemical oxygen. So in the event of de-pressurisation, a chemical oxygen system provides more oxygen to allow the plane more time to find alternate landing on the SIN-Europe-SIN legs.

The 884s have their design range at 5,825nm at MTOW, just enough for SIN-Europe but without much additional range for diversion or other needs to stay airborne longer. Considering that's still air distance not counting Northern Winter headwinds
            Last edited by 9V-JKL; 1 May 2013, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              The difference in 884 vs 892 is also related to MTOW which determines landing cost; the higher the MTOW the higher the cost; 884s are rated 263MT and 892s are rated at 297MT if I'm not wrong. No point paying more for something not needed if SQ do not fill the plane pass 263MT.

The SQx are fitted with bottled oxygen whereas the SRx/SVx carry chemical oxygen. So in the event of de-pressurisation, a chemical oxygen system provides more oxygen to allow the plane more time to find alternate landing on the SIN-Europe-SIN legs.

The 884s have their design range at 5,825nm at MTOW, just enough for SIN-Europe but without much additional range for diversion or other needs to stay airborne longer. Considering that's still air distance not counting Northern Winter headwinds
              Strangely though, not sure why the SQ series are using the bottled oxygen when they were originally planned for longer routes to Australia while the SR series were for short hauls but they carry chemical oxygen. i always thought that only the SV series carry chemical oxygen

Comment

Strangely though, not sure why the SQ series are using the bottled oxygen when they were originally planned for longer routes to Australia while the SR series were for short hauls but they carry chemical oxygen. i always thought that only the SV series carry chemical oxygen
                Over Australia, SQx planes can descend to a lower altitude without issue and not require that much oxygen. SVx planes on Europe flights need to cross the Himalayas, they can't descend to a lower level without the possibility of hitting a mountain, thus the need for chemical oxygen over extended periods.

Comment

• Mods, if you might offer me some leeway to go OT just a little, a few tips to an erstwhile newcomer to these parts:

1. You might think it's cool to jump headlong into multiple threads and demonstrate yourself to be a know-it-all. But it isn't. It's annoying.

2. Answering questions posed by forum regulars (many who have seen-it-all, done-it-all and flown-it-all) with plaintively simplistic answers is... annoying.

3. Ending each and every post with a funny-face emoticon is just childish. And annoying.

If you've joined this forum to grandstand the supposed knowledge you've accumulated, I think your welcome here will be shortlived.

If you're here and wish to become another eclectic member of this diverse community, please take a deep breath, check out the lay of the land, and enjoy your time here.
                  Last edited by milehighj; 1 May 2013, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                    ...erstwhile newcomer...
                    Use smaller words leh...

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      savage25 is a very regular flyer on these seats. His questions pertains to the pitch on the 772ER refit vs the 77W and 380 J seats, NOT the spacebed - and the answer is yes, it's somewhat less for some strange reason.
                      Not a very regular flyer in those seats compared to some of you lot, but it seemed like a strangely short bed length for even me at 5'11".

I think SQ missed the boat on the reverse herringbone seats and I think I very much prefer the new CX J to these seats.

Comment

• IST will be getting the refitted birds eff 8 June

Comment

• Originally posted by bent View Post
                          IST will be getting the refitted birds eff 8 June
                          9V-SVJ is being refurbished now i guess. Where did you get that info from?

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                            Over Australia, SQx planes can descend to a lower altitude without issue and not require that much oxygen. SVx planes on Europe flights need to cross the Himalayas, they can't descend to a lower level without the possibility of hitting a mountain, thus the need for chemical oxygen over extended periods.
                            Thanks for that information, very informative!

Of course down here in Australia we like to help out and to ensure even more oxygen is available we've moved all of our population away from under international flight paths just in case of emergencies

Comment

9V-SVJ is being refurbished now i guess.
                              I think SVB is still being refurbished, as she's not been flying for 3 weeks. SVJ last flew 2 days ago so not sure if that means refurb.

Comment

• Originally posted by IM@AMS View Post
                                I think SVB is still being refurbished, as she's not been flying for 3 weeks. SVJ last flew 2 days ago so not sure if that means refurb.
                                SVB is going to fly on the 8th of may to make CPT/JNB a full refit service. since a 772ER refit is due for IST next month, i guess SVJ is being refitted now since they take slightly over a month to refit 1 plane

Comment

Working...
                                X