772ER refitted J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SIA Unveils $95 Million Upgrade Of B777-200ER Cabins

21 December 2012 - Singapore Airlines will be investing nearly SGD$95 million to refit ten Boeing 777-200ER aircraft with new long-haul cabin products to provide customers with additional space and comfort.

The cabin upgrade programme will provide greater product consistency across the Airline’s long-haul fleet, with Business Class seats that convert into full-flat beds and larger in-flight entertainment screen sizes for both Business Class and Economy Class.

The first refitted B777-200ER will operate between Singapore and Amsterdam from 13 January 2013. Upgraded B777-200ERs will be deployed to more destinations in Europe and to points in India, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand as additional aircraft are refitted.

In Business Class, the richly upholstered leather seat reclines up to 125 degrees and unfolds into a 76-inch full-flat bed. Also featured on the Airline’s Airbus A340-500, A380 and B777-300ER fleets, the forward-facing, four-abreast 1-2-1 configuration offers all customers direct access to the aisle. The award-winning KrisWorld in-flight entertainment system also features a 15.4-inch LCD monitor and an extensive selection of audio and video programmes.

In Economy Class, personal LCD monitors will be upgraded to 9 inches from 6.5 inches. Seat covers, designed by Givenchy, will also feature soothing colours as well as richer and softer fabrics, similar to those found on Singapore Airlines’ A380s and B777-300ERs.

The deployment plan is as follows:

Service between Singapore and: Flight Number Effective from:

Amsterdam SQ 324/323 13 Jan 2013

Mumbai SQ 422/421 31 Mar 2013

Auckland SQ 282/281 Will be progressively introduced by the end of FY 13/14

Cape Town – Johannesburg SQ 478/ 479 Will be progressively introduced by the end of FY 13/14

Christchurch SQ 297/ 298 Will be progressively introduced by the end of FY 13/14

Copenhagen SQ 352/ 351 Will be progressively introduced by the end of FY 13/14

Istanbul SQ 392/ 391 Will be progressively introduced by the end of FY 13/14

Rome SQ 366/ 365 Will be progressively introduced by the end of FY 13/14

Sydney SQ 241/ 242 Will be progressively introduced by the end of FY 13/14

*Flights with no specified start dates are arranged in alphabetical order

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/...s/ne121221.jsp

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
      Official press release

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/...s/ne121221.jsp

As previously mentioned, AMS will be the first destination w/eff 31 Jan followed by BOM w/eff 31 Mar.

Time to plan my last Spacebed experience!
      Just in time! Flying it early February

Edit: effective January 13, not 31 .

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
        Just in time! Flying it early February

Edit: effective January 13, not 31 .
        Rectified

Comment

Looks like Economy would only see new seat covers and bigger screens, similar to the retrofitted 772s and 773s.
          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
            Looks like Economy would only see new seat covers and bigger screens, similar to the retrofitted 772s and 773s.
            Those seats are thicker and hence more comfortable than the "new" ones, so I'm happy they're not being replaced just yet

Comment

What's the refurbishment plan in detail? One refurbished plane every six weeks till they are all converted? Does anyone have insight in the C or D check schedule when SQ will do the refit?

Comment

SIA should have refurbish these planes earlier as they would know that the new A350s delivery be late since more than a year ago - and surprisingly it costs almost$10 million to retrofit one plane for mainly F and J as the economyseats are basically the sameexcept fornew seat covers.
                Looks like these 772ERs will be flying into their 18th year of service by the time they are withdrawn and this would be the first time that SIA be flying its passenger planes for so long a time.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                  SIA should have refurbish these planes earlier as they would know that the new A350s delivery be late since more than a year ago - and surprisingly it costs almost$10 million to retrofit one plane for mainly F and J as the economyseats are basically the sameexcept fornew seat covers.
                  Looks like these 772ERs will be flying into their 18th year of service by the time they are withdrawn and this would be the first time that SIA be flying its passenger planes for so long a time.
                  While I agree with you on that point, I think some of the blame also rests with Boeing and Airbus. Both manufacturers have really let a lot of their customers down by fixing delivery dates and then continually delaying them (787, 350, 380). It's hard for an airline to make decisions about refits in such uncertain circumstances. Airbus' A380 delays were also the reason why 747s with shabby interiors were kept in service long past their prime.

Comment

Seem like today's SQ 856 / 861 is using this 772ER refitted bird.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                      Yes, flight24 is showing 9V-SVE as having done SQ856 after 10 days of AMS flights.

It seems 9V-SVH is the next refurb but the data is a bit patchy. All the other 772ERs appear busy.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                        Drastic capacity drop. Can't they pull a 77W or 73A?

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                          Drastic capacity drop. Can't they pull a 77W or 73A?
                          If you are wanting a drastic increase in capacity from the 772ER then I wouldn't get excited with a 77W which has the grand total of seven more seats.

Comment

To me, it will be nice to have proper lie flat J seats for the overnight European flights.

Otherwise, I find the 772ER a decent plane and even with the older spacebeds, have little complaints.

Great to have a 77W (currently my favourite bird) instead but it'll not a huge difference to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              If you are wanting a drastic increase in capacity from the 772ER then I wouldn't get excited with a 77W which has the grand total of seven more seats.
                              Sorry, i meant to say, dropping from 12R 86J to only 26 J. how could SQ have accomodated the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                                Sorry, i meant to say, dropping from 12R 86J to only 26 J. how could SQ have accomodated the difference.
                                Good point, I didn't even notice those flights are normally 388. I suppose with HKG they are more able to move passengers onto other flights in the same day better than they could with CDG or ZRH etc. Maybe a 388 was having issues?

Comment

Working...
                                X