Italy Grants SQ Fifth Freedom Rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post

Also there are a lot of oil company executives travelling between those cities
    I think CarbonMan, just like most others on here, is well aware of that.

Comment

Well... there's a reason for it... the route is monopolized by SQ!
      Indeed. Wish they can go monopolize something else like a non-stop perhaps, 3 times a week for a start.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        I think CarbonMan, just like most others on here, is well aware of that.
        SQ is definitely wringing every dime out of my travel budget but many well-funded oilmen won't blink an eye on it. Seriously considering flying on Continental via NRT.

Comment

I personally would like to see a SIN-MXP-ORD service. I doubt that'll enter the drawing board at SQ.
          The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
            I personally would like to see a SIN-MXP-ORD service. I doubt that'll enter the drawing board at SQ.
            I doubt they will go back to ORD so soon after pulling out few years back.

Comment

I doubt they will go back to ORD so soon after pulling out few years back.
              Why didn't ORD work for them? Poor yields?

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                Why didn't ORD work for them? Poor yields?
                Prior to 9/11, the economic outlook showed signs of fragility. ORD was launched just days prior to 9/11. The market didn't have time to develop before the post 9/11 deterioration of air travel globally. SQ cut capacity in many sectors as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                  Prior to 9/11, the economic outlook showed signs of fragility. ORD was launched just days prior to 9/11. The market didn't have time to develop before the post 9/11 deterioration of air travel globally. SQ cut capacity in many sectors as well.
                  Ultimately it was SARS that killed ORD.

Comment

Ultimately it was SARS that killed ORD.
                    ORD was canned in Jan 02. The SARS outbreak was in Mar/Apr 03. Did the virus get teleported back in time?
                    Last edited by Nick C; 18 October 2011, 07:57 AM.

Comment

ORD was canned in Jan 02. The SARS outbreak was in Mar/Apr 03. Did the virus get teleported back in time?
                      I started working for SQ in July 02 and over the SARS period and clearly remembered handling SQ36/AMSORD. ORD was canned in 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapo...d_destinations

Comment

ORD was canned in 2003.
                        He's right Nick C

From SQ's 20/Mar 2003 press release it was originally to be suspended from 7/Apr thru 31/May 2003 but was never restored.

Comment

I started working for SQ in July 02 and over the SARS period and clearly remembered handling SQ36/AMSORD. ORD was canned in 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapo...d_destinations
                          Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                          He's right Nick C

From SQ's 20/Mar 2003 press release it was originally to be suspended from 7/Apr thru 31/May 2003 but was never restored.
                          my bad. apologies.

Nonetheless, while SARS did affect traffic numbers during the outbreak period leading to the termination of ORD and several other routes as part of SQ's operational review. The air travel industry during that period was already affected by the war in Iraq. Even so, the industry was already in the doldrums then. With of without SARS, the route would have ultimately be canned based on the earlier suspension. The route was effectively SIN-AMS & AMS-ORD. That being said, the routing could have been better and the 772 was probably a wrong candidate back then in terms of economics.

Comment

The air travel industry during that period was already affected by the war in Iraq.
                            Cheers for that info. Nick's point explained briefly in the article below.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...-14-iraq_x.htm

Considering the Iraq war is coming to a close and SARS is a good 8 years behind us is there any potential for the relaunch?
                            The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                              Considering the Iraq war is coming to a close and SARS is a good 8 years behind us is there any potential for the relaunch?
                              SQ is very conservative when it comes to network expansion. I think it'll be a long while to go before they decide to open up anymore stations.

Also SQ is short of long haul aircraft so it'll be at least a couple of years before they take delivery of the new 77W. In the mean time I think we'll just sit around and wait.

Comment

The route was effectively SIN-AMS & AMS-ORD. That being said, the routing could have been better and the 772 was probably a wrong candidate back then in terms of economics.
                                Might the 77W effectively serve MXP-ORD? That is one route I hope SQ starts, being granted 5th freedom rights from Italy.

Comment

Working...
                                X