This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop in SQ service? Sure

In the past three years, I have seen how J and F meals have been downgraded. For those of us who fly certain routes (and flights) regularly, one has definitely noticed how certain foods have all but disappeared from the menu.

In the past year, I have experienced one regional C flight (on what is purported to be SQ's single most lucrative route where C fares have risen thirty percent over the last three years) where, despite having pressed the call button, we received no response. We saw one FSS pop her head from behind the curtain, did a "Pam Ann" take on the cabin and disappeared back into the galley.

C/J cabins tend to be packed on SQ these days and my experience in the last three years tell me not to expect much. F service on SQ remains to be stellar in my experience from the last twelve months, but not all SQ routes have F cabins these days (or like BKK, the occasional 772 with an F cabin that is not bookable).

EK gets my props on routes that are/were not previously flown by SQ because, in many ways, they emulated the SQ formula and succeeded. For example, they serve this grilled brunch in F and J on GRU flights. I remember when SQ served a mixed grill breakfast in Y on LAX-NRT-SIN in the late 80s/early 90s!

I've flown SQ much. much longer (and much more frequently) than I have EK, and while a top SQ crew (especially in F) is usually the epitome of world class inflight service, I have had some memorable, equally world class service on EK from their Lithuanian, Bulgarian, Indonesian, and Egyptian lady purser-led F crews as well as Uruguayan and Ghanaian J-cabin crew members
    Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Here's a bad TR from 2006 http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/89275/

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        Well look who's crawled out of the woodwork.

We thought you'd disappeared to the moon or something, nice to see you're now back.
        You are so hilarious, aren't you? I haven't been posting here because, as you know, I don't fly SQ any longer so have little to contribute. When I did post, there was never any doubt as to my views, or that my views were entirely my own. Which reverts to the point of my OP, to which you did not respond. I strongly believe that such fora should allow the open expression of all views but NOT for promotional purposes by shills for competitors. Should you have proof that the poster you referenced was indeed a shill for a Middle Eastern carrier, then I would urge you to remove the post and ban the poster, in a similar way to many travel sites. Taking sarcastic cheap shots instead is pretty puerile and achieves nothing.
        Last edited by flymeroundthemoon; 17 August 2011, 05:56 PM.
        Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

Golly, of all people to swallow the preachy and sanctimonious pill... I'm totally weirded out...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            Golly, of all people to swallow the preachy and sanctimonious pill... I'm totally weirded out...
            Golly Gosh, milehighj. Specifically why, I wonder?

In summary, the total of my commentary on this board can be summarised as:

1.SQ inflight service is as good as it gets. The boys and girls onboard are consistently fantastic.
            2.The ground services and lounges leave a lot to be desired and the quality of the F&B is very poor, even in F lounges, in comparison to other premium carriers.
            3.SQ Management sucks and has lost the plot since Pillay, who was a true visionary. The successors have been either non-management types, bean counters, or Harvard Business school types who have lost the "Soul" of the business. Which even in 2011 does, actually matter, even with the "Bottom line" pressures most businesses face.

Just IMHO, of course.

I note that even Item 1, above, is now disputed by many but, as I said, I can no longer comment as I don't fly SQ now. I also note that many of the SQ shills seem to have disappeared also, except, of course, for the perennials.
            Last edited by flymeroundthemoon; 17 August 2011, 06:38 PM.
            Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

Or, alternatively, should you wish to imply that I was ever shilling for anyone other than myself, then I would, of course, be delighted to review the evidence with you as set forth in the record.
              Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

Originally posted by flymeroundthemoon View Post
                Or, alternatively, should you wish to imply that I was ever shilling for anyone other than myself, then I would, of course, be delighted to review the evidence with you as set forth in the record.
                Also, milehighj, what sort of language is "Wierded out". Is that English are are you a North American?
                Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

Golly Gosh, milehighj. Specifically why, I wonder?
                  Because you have no credibility, IMO.

Comment

its really a broad generalization that due to some recent laps in service on your flight, you assume that the entire "SQ service philosophy" is slipping due to some bad apples. I work at the Four Seasons Hotel and on some days we do have our off days, its hard to be fake and smile when its not genuine. So i just go with the motion and be robotic when i feel very shi*ty.

Comment

I know you fly EK. ( though you can't resist Suites I see...http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9622 )

I know you were almost LPP before SQ scrapped it.

And while you contribute to this forum, you are strangely absent from the EK one.

However.... MAN Flyer's comments were not directed at you.

Comment

You are so hilarious, aren't you?
                        Funnier than you it would seem, although you're giving it a decent go to be fair. The key is to try not to take 'it', and more importantly yourself too seriously.

I haven't been posting here because, as you know, I don't fly SQ any longer
                        Really ?. I never knew that, you should have said.

When I did post, there was never any doubt as to my views, or that my views were entirely my own. Which reverts to the point of my OP, to which you did not respond. I strongly believe that such fora should allow the open expression of all views but NOT for promotional purposes by shills for competitors. Should you have proof that the poster you referenced was indeed a shill for a Middle Eastern carrier, then I would urge you to remove the post and ban the poster, in a similar way to many travel sites. Taking sarcastic cheap shots instead is pretty puerile and achieves nothing.
                        I've got to be honest, I've read this bit three times now but haven't got a clue what you are talking about. The word 'shill' has been used twice in this thread now, neither was by me but both by 'different' people with strikingly similar posting styles ; I've spent 400 million pounds with SQ....I now fly EK...I use titles in all my posts....etc so it's nice to see you stick up for one of your own.

I haven't bothered to work out if the new stuff is also posted late at night...

Yes, an irony alert system wouldn't go amiss there, and the ability to respond in one post instead of having three goes and a few edits.

Comment

Yes, I feel there's a drop in service...... Just landed at FUK and now waiting for a bus trip so have time to write something....

I was in J on this flight from SIN to FUK, breakfast was served at time when plane was experiencing a little turbulence, as usual seat belt lights were on and announcement made aboutnot serving hot beverages.... understandable, but slight turbulance, I know Thai will still serve hot coffee, anyways, not only did they not serve hot drinks, no one came along and offer any juices or offerto top up water etc...... And as I did not have mymorning coffee, I was cranky..... when the FSS came along and asked me to fill up a survey form, I refused and give her a little lecture...... really disapointed......
                          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                            And as I did not have mymorning coffee, I was cranky..... when the FSS came along and asked me to fill up a survey form, I refused and give her a little lecture...... really disapointed......
                            Remind me not to cross you in the morning without your kopi, Capt!

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                              Yes, I feel there's a drop in service...... Just landed at FUK and now waiting for a bus trip so have time to write something....

I was in J on this flight from SIN to FUK, breakfast was served at time when plane was experiencing a little turbulence, as usual seat belt lights were on and announcement made aboutnot serving hot beverages.... understandable, but slight turbulance, I know Thai will still serve hot coffee, anyways, not only did they not serve hot drinks, no one came along and offer any juices or offerto top up water etc...... And as I did not have mymorning coffee, I was cranky..... when the FSS came along and asked me to fill up a survey form, I refused and give her a little lecture...... really disapointed......
                              Little turbulence could turn into big turbulence, I am all for safety and have no issue if people are belted down to avoid them flying around hitting people. Drinks can always wait.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                                If you get a complaint like this phaleesy do you haul the crew over hot coals?

No offence intended E-Aviation but I know what you mean.

The job gets done but without the usual smiles / warmth.

And definitely not the whole crew. Maybe one having a bad day...
                                As far as I was concerned, E-Aviation's account was a mere observation. I do not see it as a complaint. A complaint would be an official letter to whom it may concern, blah blah blah.

Anyone working in the service industry should know their roles and responsibilities. If they cannot perform to the required standards because they're not in a good mood or because it's their 'off' day, then perhaps they're unsuitable for the job and should look for an alternative employment!

I wish clients of other jobs would be so forgiving. I'd love to hear a client telling his banker/solicitor/accountant/doctor that it's okay for the banker/solicitor/accountant/doctor to be stroppy with him, since he knows he is having an off day!

Comment

Working...
                                X