Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NZ increases amount of time IFE is available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZ increases amount of time IFE is available!

I thought SQ's recent changes - no headphones prior to take-off, IFE switched off earlier etc - was becuase of a new global safety initiative ?. NZ are going the opposite way. Granted they seem to be incorprating the safety video on departure, but arrival is different:

Air New Zealand has removed restrictions on its in-flight entertainment system being switched off during take off and landing.

The carrier has received regulatory approval for the move by reworking departure and arrival procedures to accommodate safety briefings and in-flight announcements, and ensuring that “the few seats with in-arm video screens” are stowed during take off for safety reasons.

Passengers on ANZ’s aircraft between London and LA, Hong Kong and Auckland will be the first to benefit from the loosening of restrictions, as they are already fitted with seat-back TV screens. Later this year the carrier’s short haul fleet of Boeing 767 and A320 aircraft will be progressively fitted with new on-demand touch-screen entertainment providing the same boarding to landing entertainment facilities, and by December all of ANZ’s international short-haul and long-haul aircraft will have personal seat-back entertainment.

The airline says the move will add “at least an extra hour of viewing time per flight”. Says Scott Carr, Air New Zealand’s European general manager:

“Customers can spend a significant amount of time in their seat prior to departure, especially with the time it takes to board a wide-body aircraft seating more than 300 people. There’s also the time when the aircraft is waiting for air traffic control clearance to land and descending to the airport when passengers would not previously have had access to the entertainment system.”

Emirates had adpoted the same policy - headphones on seats when arriving in Y and IFE ready to watch from the minute you take your seat... I wonder what SQs reasoning is behind their stance?
    matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
      Emirates had adpoted the same policy - headphones on seats when arriving in Y and IFE ready to watch from the minute you take your seat... I wonder what SQs reasoning is behind their stance?
      Was this new? I've hardly ever gotten into a situtation where I can't watch IFE on all my SQ flights while taking off. Landing is a different story though...

But having said that, I always use my own headset to start watching the movies...
      Life's A Bitch,
      Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
        Was this new? I've hardly ever gotten into a situtation where I can't watch IFE on all my SQ flights while taking off. Landing is a different story though...

But having said that, I always use my own headset to start watching the movies...
        On some of my more recent SQ flights Krisworld has actually been switched off until after takeoff (on both aircraft with & without AVOD). You can't use the handset for anything until after take-off.

I'm just about to board my next SQ flight so I'll report what happens.
        matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Yup. Is particularly good for the flights from Australia to NZ which sometimes run out of time to see the movie if there are decent tailwinds or they selected a movie that is a bit too long.

Comment

I'll be on the 77W tomorrow on my way back home. So when that is over and done with, I'll keep you guys in the loop for it...
            Life's A Bitch,
            Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Comment

ok, just got off sq495 (9V-SYH) - AVOD was available upon taking my seat & remained on until about 4 minutes to landing.
              matt_will_fix_it

Comment

...and ensuring that “the few seats with in-arm video screens” are stowed during take off for safety reasons.
                A choice between emex row/bulkhead (more room) or more IFE... I think I'd still go for the former on a long haul.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                  A choice between emex row/bulkhead (more room) or more IFE... I think I'd still go for the former on a long haul.
                  Same here

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
                    ok, just got off sq495 (9V-SYH) - AVOD was available upon taking my seat & remained on until about 4 minutes to landing.
                    Same here. I got of SQ333 this morning and it was on upon boarding. I had my own headsets so I was watching a movie for over 30 minutes before they gave out the SQ headsets...
                    Life's A Bitch,
                    Love It

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                      Same here
                      Ditto. On 767 and A320, space+ sounds like it will give the best of both (just don't pick the bulkhead row).

Comment

Same here. I got of SQ333 this morning and it was on upon boarding. I had my own headsets so I was watching a movie for over 30 minutes before they gave out the SQ headsets...
                        Tsk tsk, you are not supposed to use your headsets on SQ planes before takeoff! Shame that the crew did not enforce it
                        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                          Tsk tsk, you are not supposed to use your headsets on SQ planes before takeoff! Shame that the crew did not enforce it
                          But from what I know about electronics, me using headsets with their IFE isn't gonna cause any issues. Its their system after all ya know
                          Life's A Bitch,
                          Love It

Comment

But from what I know about electronics, me using headsets with their IFE isn't gonna cause any issues. Its their system after all ya know
                            Inteference is not the reason why most airlines don't like pax wearing headsets on take-off or landing. The reason is in an emergency you may lose valuable seconds because you are less aware of what is happening.

Comment

Arr.. that makes perfect sense..
                              Life's A Bitch,
                              Love It

Comment

Working...
                              X